Bleach/lightener

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilemeeeee

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone recommend a bleach lightener to use, or does it matter? I'm newly qualified, college seemed to use just one brand but I've seen there are quite a few so wondered what the difference is?

Hi, can anyone recommend a bleach lightener to use, or does it matter? I'm newly qualified, college seemed to use just one brand but I've seen there are quite a few so wondered what the difference is?
My absolute favourite has to be Wella Blondor, great lift, versatile, anti yellow, and protects the hair.
My next favourite has to be the Framesi bleaches, there's 4 in the range, all have slight differences.
I have also used schwarzkopf igora vario blond plus and super plus with great results and even indola rapid blond which gives some amazing lift, but it can be quite harsh.

My absolute favourite has to be Wella Blondor, great lift, versatile, anti yellow, and protects the hair.
My next favourite has to be the Framesi bleaches, there's 4 in the range, all have slight differences.
I have also used schwarzkopf igora vario blond plus and super plus with great results and even indola rapid blond which gives some amazing lift, but it can be quite harsh.
The most important thing of all over which brand to use, is to make sure you use each bleach for what it's designed for, with the correct developers and I'm sure you can't go far wrong. The only real disasters I've had with bleach was the Tigi copyright true light bleach, which didn't lift well and wasn't that nice of a texture to work with, I used it on a regular scalp bleach client. The other is the freelights bleach by blondor, it never lifted how I wanted/expected it to, always ended up going back to blondor : the old faithful!

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve been using Schwarzkopf Blondme bleach and developers for a little while now and I love them.
They are strong so never be tempted to use 40vol (12%) with them as it’s not generally necessary to go above 20vol (6%), depending on what you want to lift.

Also, here’s some general advice about researching new products that I hope you will find useful. When you visit a large wholesaler, the range of products on sale can be overwhelming and it’s very tempting to fill your trolley with all the special offers available. If you’re trying out a new range only buy a few items in the colours that you’re likely to use as you do want to tie up your money in stock that might go out of date before you use it. Don’t forget that you can mix colours to get the tones you need rather than buying every tube of colour in the range.

Also, don’t be easily swayed by the sales staff in the wholesalers.
They’re primarily there to shift stock so will often tell you that X brand is fantastic and everyone loves it. Also, they’ll try and sell you the generic own brand bleach and developers telling you they’re identical to the Pro brand ranges.
They’re not!
The colour will still develop with the shop’s cheapo 30vol developer but it doesn’t contain the added ingredients that were designed to work with the tint and you’ll find that the colours are not as shiny and long lasting as they are when you use the matching developer. For the small difference in £, it really is a false economy.

Also, many of the staff are not experienced hairdressers although they may have completed level 2 and so their colour advice can sometimes be dubious or even plain wrong. There’s been quite a few threads of colour disasters on here where a geek has said they followed the advice from the sales lady in the wholesaler...!

Having said that, there are some fantastically knowledgeable staff working in the wholesalers but when you’re starting out, it’s difficult to know who’s advice to trust.

Thank you for your reply, a lot of what you say makes sense, thanks.x

Latest posts

Back