Bleach then highlift

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulette

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been using highlift on my own hair for sometime now and although I'm blonde, in parts my hair is still a little brassy, underneath at the back and a little area on top, I have a bit of grey here and there and am wondering to whether bleaching my regrowth just slightly a shade up so to speak I'm a base 5/6 before washing and drying then Applying my highlift tint would be a better option.

I would only use 10vol to just slightly lighten plus as I'm applying it myself the timing would then be ok.

Anyone else done this?
Don't want to fully lighten with bleach and tone as I'm doing it myself and think it'll be a bit of a safer option doing it the above way.
Any thoughts?

Photos in my album to show golden root area

You can bleach then hi-lift but if your going to the trouble to bleach, your better to bleach & tone with a standard color in your target lv.& shade.

Hi-lift colors are specifically formulated for use with double(1:2) developer in 30-40vol. & contain higher warmth neutralizing pigments meaning they might grab strongly on porous bleached hair yielding a over ashy tone.

A standard color/toner is specifically formulated for basic deposit only & or 1lv.of lift if mixed with 20vol. Theres less chance of pigments over toning/grabbing making this option more of a guarentee of target color. It's healthier for the hair too to use a deposit only toner over a hi-lift which may also have a different pigment content made for use with a strong developer which is overkill on a fresh bleach process.

Yes the more I think about it I'm thinking to go for the bleach, perhaps trying Wellas Blondor soft blonde cream, using 6% for my roots next time! then toning as you say I'm using 40 vol now with my high lift. Gotta be better using a lower peroxide with bleach then a low peroxide toner.

You can tone after a highlift too. But really, you either use bleach or you use highlift. Wouldn't use both, just double damage.

Lightener/bleach with 3% and toning is far less damaging. I'm personally not a highlift fan as the peroxide is so high and all of the warmth it often pulls.

You could mix volume 10 and volume 20 for a 15 with blonder if you think you will pull warm.

High strength peroxide scares me much more than bleach.

Dear Satchel share your recent experience with Blondor Cream please!:hug:

You can tone after a highlift too. But really, you either use bleach or you use highlift. Wouldn't use both, just double damage.

What toner would you use after a high lift?

Depends how it lifts up...

..well shes a base of about 6/0 maybe 7/0 in places and i used 12/11, also put a a few bleach foils and few natural colour foils but still looked a bit brassy.. it looked ok but after seeing her again a week later i want to tone it to try to remove the yellow tone , was thinking 8/81 if she wants it tone down or 10/8 kp with pastel but ive never tried either before:eek:

..well shes a base of about 6/0 maybe 7/0 in places and i used 12/11, also put a a few bleach foils and few natural colour foils but still looked a bit brassy.. it looked ok but after seeing her again a week later i want to tone it to try to remove the yellow tone , was thinking 8/81 if she wants it tone down or 10/8 kp with pastel but ive never tried either before:eek:

Try 9/8, don't take your eyes off it though.

So I went ahead and used Wella blondor cream mixed 1:2
With 6% and applied carefully over the golden areas and feathered down a tiny bit as the mid to ends are already plenty light enough.

I watched it like a hawk checking every 5-10 mins so when it was ready I washed off and toned (as was still a bit yellowy in parts) with color touch relights /86 as that's what I had handy!!

Any recommendations for toners to use after bleaching as I'm sure I'll have the yellow ness next time on regrowth as I'm dark, I'm not gonna go crazy with lifting I'm only going to use 6% then tone the yellow out.

Much better blonde result now, will post photo when I've done my hair nicely!!

So I went ahead and used Wella blondor cream mixed 1:2

With 6% and applied carefully over the golden areas and feathered down a tiny bit as the mid to ends are already plenty light enough.

I watched it like a hawk checking every 5-10 mins so when it was ready I washed off and toned (as was still a bit yellowy in parts) with color touch relights /86 as that's what I had handy!!

Any recommendations for toners to use after bleaching as I'm sure I'll have the yellow ness next time on regrowth as I'm dark, I'm not gonna go crazy with lifting I'm only going to use 6% then tone the yellow out.

Much better blonde result now, will post photo when I've done my hair nicely!!

I would only ever recommend 6% as a limit on the scalp anyway. 9/60 is nice you have to watch it though cause it'll go lilac. 9/16, 10/6, /86, /18, CF 0/6.

Latest posts

Back