Blending confusion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twid

Reaction score
Hi I'm very newly qualified (certificate came earlier this week!!!!) and a new poster to boot.

Although I have this piece of paper that tells me I can do nail enhancements I am still really nervous and lack confidence. Unfortunately our teacher thought everything could be learnt from theory and not from practice, this is why I dread someone wanting their nails done (I have my aunts rebalance to do in 2hrs :sad: ).

I have found the tutorials here very very helpful, especially as I seem to get a lot of lifting problems - we were never really made aware of how important it was to keep the product away from cuticles and that prep was all important - so it has given me something to think about.

The question that I really wanted to ask is:- we were told to blend the tips in with acetone and a cotton bud, but I see that most of you recommend filing, can you tell me if this is what I should be doing now.

Thanx
Karaxxx

I would avoid using the acetone blending strategy (same with tip blender products). First off, they ruin your abrasives, second off; it works by dissolving and breaking down the tip and adhesive.
This can lead to yellowing as well as loss of adhesion down the road (in other words, you will see an increase of curling... which sucks).

The best thing to do is to reduce as much of the contact area as possible before applying to simplify your blending process.

Good luck :wink2:

i was initally taught to use tip blender (much the same as your cotton bud and acetone method) but since coming on here and converting to creative, i now pre-blend and tailor and it is much easier and you get a much better finish. Do most of your work, either cutting out or filing out the well and thinning the tip before applying. check out the search facility as you will find shed loads of info on how to do this blending, applying tips etc...all this info will keep you busy for ages!
also, when i trained, prep was only glossed over and i wondered why my product lifted! Invest in a good 'pushie' (bit like a chisel) and a currette and a good cuticle remover and it will DRASTICALLY reduce lifting. It's a bit like being painter and decorator - to get a good result you really need to pay a lot of attention to the prep - this is the foundation of a good enhancement.

enjoy the site and check out the search facility

Which company did you train with.

I trained with CND and theroy was important you had to know your suff.

Prep was very important and practise practice practice,

Only with practice can you get you skill and eventually speed although the latter is not important untill you are confident in your prep and application.

Keep with the site we all help each other

I've often wondered what that pushie thing was for, but now I get the idea and I reckon I will get myself one - can you use it dry or does it have to be used like a cuticle knife?.

I've started to realise that you need good products and have a good friend who has an account with Creative, I've just got the Rentention+ starter kit and am looking forward to trying it out. Also I had no idea that you need a really good brush, again tutor never told us much about brushes - I have a good one now and what a difference I am so amazed.

Can you recommend a good cuticle remover? We were given the Salon Systems one, not sure if this is good enough.

Karaxxx

Creative have an excellent remover. Remover not earaser

Betty Boo said:
Which company did you train with.

I trained with CND and theroy was important you had to know your suff.

Prep was very important and practise practice practice,

Only with practice can you get you skill and eventually speed although the latter is not important untill you are confident in your prep and application.

Keep with the site we all help each other
I did an 18 week VCTC course at my local college - I cant believe that after 18 weeks I still feel and know virtually nothing.

Our tutor was mostly concerned with speed, we had to do a full set in 1 1/2hrs and refills in 1hr!!!!

Karaxxx

Keep going with the help of this site and your friend you can build up your confidence and maybe go on a convertion course with creative.

I would not worry too much about lack of knowledge I spoke to a mobile tech and she did not know what monomer and polymer were and she had been trained with the edge

I would personally say you definately need some better training. I don't feel you can gain any experience from theory alone. You need to be shown techniques in the flesh so to speak, and any reputable training company usually needs you to do a certain amount of sets of nails to see that you are progressing and taking in all thats being taught.

I would do more training before even thinking about doing anyones nails. Sorry if i have upset you, but i think it will be better for you in the long run.

twid said:
I did an 18 week VCTC course at my local college - I cant believe that after 18 weeks I still feel and know virtually nothing.

Our tutor was mostly concerned with speed, we had to do a full set in 1 1/2hrs and refills in 1hr!!!!

Karaxxx
Hi Kara and welcome to the geek express...........hop on board and enjoy the ride............
Right I know you must be feeling that you havn't learned much, but trust me you have..................
take all the good bits from your course and add to it with added courses and tuition...................
I also recommend a few good study aids like ........Doug Schoon, Nail structure and product Chemistry........this will help you to understand how a system works and this will then inturn help you to understand how to make a system work for you.......
Marian Newman, The Complete Nail Technician II Edition................ this is a must have and will even guide you through your NVQ should you wish to embark on that.......... both these books will help you no ends in gaining knowledge and knowledge is power to make your system work for you.............
Oh yes and then there is my favorite word....practice!!!!!!
This site can be your online Nail encyclopedia and knowledge pool...........
it's free off charge and a lot of fun too.............
So enjoy and welcome to the fab world of nails................

I also did a VCTC and did not learn about the importance of product not touching skin. First few sets i did i just let the Acrylic settle on the cuticle NIGHTMARE!! A year on i am still struggling with lifting and its only since finding this site 2 days ago that I have learnt the importance of getting every bit of living tissue off nail. I am currently using Millenium but have now been told that they are renowned for lifting , crumbling probs. So not sure if its me or not!! But i found VTCT great for manicure and nailart but not that great for artificial nail tech.

nailfairy said:
I also did a VCTC and did not learn about the importance of product not touching skin. First few sets i did i just let the Acrylic settle on the cuticle NIGHTMARE!! A year on i am still struggling with lifting and its only since finding this site 2 days ago that I have learnt the importance of getting every bit of living tissue off nail. I am currently using Millenium but have now been told that they are renowned for lifting , crumbling probs. So not sure if its me or not!! But i found VTCT great for manicure and nailart but not that great for artificial nail tech.
I found them excellent for man/ped and nail art too, same tutor and same theory based learning but I think you pick those up quickly and I now feel very confident with this work.

We also used Millenium but I gave up with it awhile ago for all the reasons you state - cost me a fortune and now I'm not that sure I like what I have switched to hence the further move to Creative, I suppose I will find something I like soon.

Karaxxx

i think there are a LOT of us who have spent money on products and training which in hindsight didn't meet our expectations! I only wish i'd found creative first! But put it down to experience - as long as you are moving in the right direction and want to improve your knowledge and skills, you'll get there!

who did you train with

i know from this board that other geeks have trained with the same company i trained with initially and they are more than satisified...and i don't want to be negative about a particular product or training company publically, but from my own personal experience, once i converted to Creative at the MK academy all the problems i had with lifting, product placement etc etc have all disappeared! What i am really impressed with though, is the ongoing training creative offer. This was one of the reasons i converted. i rang my original training company enquiring about further workshops, training days etc and after about 20 attempts at getting someone to ring me back, they told me they didn't 'think' they did such a thing...?!
But you need to be confident in your choice of training and products, so do loads of reasearch (and this site has a good search facility), read up on the different companies, check out which products are winning the nail competitions etc and this may help you in your decisions.

Latest posts

Back