Blisters from UV lamp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catgreeneyes

Reaction score
Hey all , I am a beauty therapist and l do a lot of gelish nails .I am constantly repairing my own too . Both my hands have started to swell and l have tiny blisters all over them .The cuticles are the worst .Itchy and lumpy .Does anyone else experience this ?

Are you sure it's from the UV lamp? Are you perhaps getting the sticky layer on your hands when you wipe it off, or maybe you have a reaction the the alcohol or other chemicals you may be using?

Sounds like eczema to me. When I did hair, my hands would swell with red, patchy, itchy areas. I would also get tiny blisters. When they broke open, the itching got worse

Sounds like you're allergic, most probably to the gelish :-( go to your doctor and leave off from the gelish and wear gloves when doing clients for a while and see if that helps although sometimes gloves don't protect from the allergy. Make sure you're not wiping any gel onto your hands. Practice polishing with polish to make sure your application is perfect and only on the nail so you're not tempted to wipe a mistake with your fingers (many techs use their thumbnail and this leads to over exposure and allergies).

If this doesn't help then eliminate each chemical one by one week by week by not using them until you find the culprit but don't keep using and thinking you'll put up with the itchy rash, allergies can get worse and worse until they're literally deadly.

I had this problem with a client and she thought it could be the lamp... Turned out it happened again a few weeks later when she hasn't even had her nails done so deffo not the lamp. I agree with the other comments, sounds like an allergy xx

I have this. Its a form of dermatitis. Put Diprobase on and it clears it up. X

I am trained in bio sculpture and one of the girls I work with is too but she is allergic to it. I try to take them as much as possible but if I can't she has to wear gloves. It's really weird as she is ok getting shellac done x

This sounds like a form of dermatitis. You can get it from over exposure to chemicals and products.
Go to your GP. I have steroid cream to treat mine and I make sure I wear gloves when possible for washing up or using chemicals and I wash and dry my hands thoroughly. X

This definitely sounds like a reaction to the inhibition layer that you are getting on your skin by improper removal at the end of the application. i don't think you need to go to the doctors at this stage. Just make sure it doesn't touch your skin.

Start with the little finger and wipe from the base to the tip of the nail. Use a new cotton pad for the second hand. If it doesn't go away then you need to stop using the gel polish as you've developed an overexposure reaction

This does sound like an allergic reaction to something...however we cannot diagnose only a Doctor can do that. Go see your GP and take it from there.

I have the same problem and have tried most things (gloves/steroid creams) - I went to the doctor who told me to stop using the products but as I need these products to do my job i found that quite difficult!! I now apply hemp cream from the body shop in a daily basis as it really is soothing, also I take a piriiton each night before bed. If anyone can come up with a miracle cure I would welcome any suggestions.

I was on here last October with the exact same thing. It started off feeling nippy and then tiny little bubbles under the skin appeared with an itch like I've never experience before. I went to the doctor who gave me a steroid crematoriums which made it worse and it soon got to the stage my fingers looked like they had been burned. Painful to bend, to touch and to work oft!!
Finally after begging the doctor I was referred to the hospital to see a dermatologist who did a patch test on me to see what I reacted to. I had to write down everything my hands came into contact with and in our job it was a long list! I was in so much pain I did contemplate giving up my job. They test showed no major allergies and they have told me that basically I am over using my products and my skin has had enough!! I only do nails so I apply/remove approx 8/10 sets a day and between acetone, using my fingers to clear the cuticle of uncured gel and everything else it just isn't good for your skin.
On the positive they gave me a cream, and I always, every client wear nitriles gloves and gave been since December and my fingers are great. I NEVER use acetone without gloves I can feel it nip, and the gloves have taken Alot of getting used to but it's worth it, I can get on with the job I love.
Sorry this has been a long reply but I know how you must be feeling. Take care SSx

This does sound like an allergic reaction to something...however we cannot diagnose only a Doctor can do that. Go see your GP and take it from there.

No, we cannot diagnose but removing the fairly obvious allergen will probably result in an improvement before an appointment with a doctor can be achieved for the Dr to say it's probably contact dermatitis so stop using the product.

as this is the OP's fingers rather than a clients it's a very easy option to try without having to use steriods.

I had this too a few years back only came when i decided to gel my toes, it ended up all over the soles of both my feet and also came on the palms of my hands as well as fingers, was a nightmare the doc ended up giving me steroid cream it took about 4 different ones to work in which resulted a layer of skin coming of palms and soles it took about 6-9months to get rid of it! I use bio and still do don't know what went wrong but it was horrible x x

Sent from my GT-S5570 using SalonGeek

Hey all , I am a beauty therapist and l do a lot of gelish nails .I am constantly repairing my own too . Both my hands have started to swell and l have tiny blisters all over them .The cuticles are the worst .Itchy and lumpy .Does anyone else experience this ?
Yes just now this time I used a lot of glitters in the gel and they are a mess and hurt

Yes just now this time I used a lot of glitters in the gel and they are a mess and
I was on here last October with the exact same thing. It started off feeling nippy and then tiny little bubbles under the skin appeared with an itch like I've never experience before. I went to the doctor who gave me a steroid crematoriums which made it worse and it soon got to the stage my fingers looked like they had been burned. Painful to bend, to touch and to work oft!!
Finally after begging the doctor I was referred to the hospital to see a dermatologist who did a patch test on me to see what I reacted to. I had to write down everything my hands came into contact with and in our job it was a long list! I was in so much pain I did contemplate giving up my job. They test showed no major allergies and they have told me that basically I am over using my products and my skin has had enough!! I only do nails so I apply/remove approx 8/10 sets a day and between acetone, using my fingers to clear the cuticle of uncured gel and everything else it just isn't good for your skin.
On the positive they gave me a cream, and I always, every client wear nitriles gloves and gave been since December and my fingers are great. I NEVER use acetone without gloves I can feel it nip, and the gloves have taken Alot of getting used to but it's worth it, I can get on with the job I love.
Sorry this has been a long reply but I know how you must be feeling. Take care SSx
What cream did you get??? I can ask my doctor..this hurts so much

Yes just now this time I used a lot of glitters in the gel and they are a mess and hurt

As this thread is now some 4 years old, and many of its posters haven't logged in since then, it may be better for you to create a new thread with your question instead.

Sounds like dermatitis... I usually get it from overexposure to acetone.. I wear gloves now and no longer have this problem! It's worth seeing your doctor to find out exactly what it is though as none of us are medical professionals..

I see a lot of "u must have an allergy or other reason's". I've never had this problem with anyone until recently. The customer had the problem every time. After going to a dermatologist she was told to stop using the light due to burning of the skin. The blisters were small burns not just bumps. Just be careful and if it keeps happening, stop using the light.

As per my post above, many of this thread’s posters haven’t logged in for quite a few years, so time to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back