Bluffers, dare I say fakes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i think i missed the fun on here i have not been on salon geek for a few weeks i have been busy training with crystal nails having a whale of a time learning my aquarelle painting and gel sculpting :Love::Love::Love:

It doesn't help matters when the current advertising banners on this forum are promoting a diy gel nails kit.... Doh!

Guess it confirms the point as obviously the advertises know what we suspect, this site is ready by large numbers of non professionals that this kind of product is targeted at.

It doesn't help matters when the current advertising banners on this forum are promoting a diy gel nails kit.... Doh!

Guess it confirms the point as obviously the advertises know what we suspect, this site is ready by large numbers of non professionals that this kind of product is targeted at.

The advertising banners are out of the control of SG and SG have no say in what is advertised up there.

Without having to go into the full in's and out's of it, it is because the site is run under Googles control basically, it is Google that puts it up there.
Just like they do with You Tube, have you ever noticed that if you watch a lot of say........Home decorating videos, most, if not all the adverts you will see are somehow related to this subject.
It's the same here.
It's the same on my other non nails forum I am a moderator on, all the adds up the top are related in some way to the forums subject.

Also, Google also picks up what country we are all from and your adds will differ from mine as mine are based around my own country, so what you see is different to what I see but it's all somehow related to nails, nail course, nail kits etc etc.
So it has nothing to do with SG know they are going to get a lot of DIYers, so they advertise DIY products.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this one. I'd just like to thank you all for all the information I have collected in resent months. I had no idea how poor my training was until I read up on SG and realised the huge gaps in my knowledge. I am truly grateful to all that answered my questions and all the information from other threads. I'm often embarrassed that I decided to go for fast track learning. Short courses that don't even begin to prepare you. I only know how bad a decision that was because I spend so many hours on here. I am trying to save all I can to train properly and until then I only treat a few family and friends.

I have no doubt that I am one of the people asking stupid, basic questions. But there is no way I'd ask my so called "tutor" about gel nail enhancements. Which the area I need help. I have bought books recommended on here, Geegs included. (love it by the way) I do feel like a fake. Even though I buy all my products straight from the manufacturer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is thanks you for showing me that I'm not ready and that I really want to learn more. Thank you also for answering my questions so far. I do love the search tool too.

Sorry that's so long. Think I just needed to get it off my chest. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The advertising banners are out of the control of SG and SG have no say in what is advertised up there.

SG know they are going to get a lot of DIYers, so they advertise DIY products.

Not quite sure Im following 100% this.will have to read up on google ads. The majority of the ads I see are related to cnd products and usually sweet squared offers - ie the owners of the site so I assumed there was some degree of control but perhaps it is coincidence based on my viewing habits ? :suprised:

Google ads are based on what you view and then come up with random suggestions. My friend (an author) got recommended such tripe a few years ago...... That's when we realized google had an agenda

Just get a browser extension called ad block and you will no longer have to deal with ads. :D

Just think certain people have to start somewhere and i think if we all look right back to the baby fetus of our start to be pro most of us were doing nails ourselfs using dodgy high street stuff and using Ebay. Doing dodgy Getho nails. I know i was i started playing with nails from the age of 14. Applying press on by the age of 15 i was playing with nail tips on nails. And at that age i was asking questions that was not pro! Then at the of 25 when i finally figured what i wanted to do i did my first manicure pedicure course at college ..I then did a gel extend and repair course at college too and have since done courses to elevate and tweak my bad habbit's
So i am sure if every ones looks back at thereself i am sure they can admit they started with bad habbit and asking questions and using unprofessional stuff. In a way we should welcome these people they starting on a journey they just need tweaking to right paths. I still use Ebay now to buy 3d nails art aollys and fimos and dont start moaning i am not the only therapist who buys nail art 3ds from ebay

Last edited:
Just think certain people have to start somewhere and i think if we all look right back to the baby fetus of our start to be pro most of us were doing nails ourselfs using dodgy high street stuff and using Ebay. Doing dodgy Getho nails. I know i was i started playing with nails from the age of 14. Applying press on by the age of 15 i was playing with nail tips on nails. And at that age i was asking questions that was not pro! Then at the of 25 when i finally figured what i wanted to do i did my first manicure pedicure course at college ..I then did a gel extend and repair course at college too and have since done courses to elevate and tweak my bad habbit's
So i am sure if every ones looks back at thereself i am sure they can admit they started with bad habbit and asking questions and using unprofessional stuff. In a way we should welcome these people they starting on a journey they just need tweaking to right paths. I still use Ebay now to buy 3d nails art aollys and fimos and dont start moaning i am not the only therapist who buys nail art 3ds from ebay

Yes! You have just reminded me of a Saturday afternoon as a teenager, spent in a cafe with my friend, we had bought some stick on nails for about three quid probably, & some electric blue polish (nineties retro!) and I thought they were the best thing ever, aged 14/15 I think. I reckon if I could have gone to an NSS for £15 nails I definitely would have at that age. I bought l&p from fleabay & had a go before deciding it was a right pita & then researched.

I believe a lot started as 'messers' somehow.

I sincerely hope people who find SG, on the whole, will get sucked in & have the taste for learning & hopefully go on more training?? I think that probably does happen a fair bit too & so don't want to put off any misguided newbies & would rather invite them into the fold, surely? Xxx

Latest posts

Back