Book or Kindle?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Book or Kindle?

• Book

Votes: 104 49.5%
  • Kindle

Votes: 106 50.5%

• Total voters
it's hard to beat the smell of a new book.....

I am a major book lover, i even love how a book smells and turning the pages!!!

Perhaps they could come up with an 'aroma function' for the Kindle :) Books versus Kindle is rather like music download versus vinyl - for me playing and owning a record is more exciting!

Last edited:
I'm an avid reader, love the smell and feel of a new book. When books are bought for me as a present, as sad as it sounds, I often just look at them and feel excited- it's the anticipation. That said I voted Kindle. I have the app on my phone and wouldn't be without it. Hubby can sleep through a lot of things, tv blaring, radio plays and such like, but he needs the light off, so it's really nice to read by kindle light and still have the upper hand when he snores, which I didn't have if the light was on!!

This xmas I've asked for a Kindle voucher as opposed to just books. We haven't got much storage space at home and I'm loathe to get rid of any books, so the Kindle is perfect for me. We've bough little man an android tablet this year for christmas as he loves angry birds et al, so when he's asleep guess what Mumma's going to be using!!

Another good thing about the kindle is I sometimes read and eat, so no more balancing the salt and pepper pot to keep the pages open, boom the kindle just stays there!

Try it on your phone first, its a free app to download and see what you think.

:Love:

I voted kindle. I got mines at the start of the year-ish. And I've been reading more since I did. The books are often cheaper on there and like everyone else says its the storage thing. I hate having books around the house as they take up lots of room. I'm the same with cd's, I never use them anymore either. I think eventually that books will be phased out much like CDs. I like the features, that you can see the percentage you are at in the book and the dictionary as mentioned above. You can also read reveiws about the book before you buy and sample them aswell. I love mines!!! Plus it's lighter in your handbag :)

I must admit for the traveller, commuter into London I can see why the Kindle gets the vote.

But I LOVE buying books from a book shop, browsing, even getting a musty book out from my local library.
Passing old battered books on to my friends with happy notes in the front cover.
Books are such valued treasures I hope the kindle doesn't stamp them out!

store

I voted kindle. I got mines at the start of the year-ish. And I've been reading more since I did. The books are often cheaper on there and like everyone else says its the storage thing. I hate having books around the house as they take up lots of room. I'm the same with cd's, I never use them anymore either. I think eventually that books will be phased out much like CDs. I like the features, that you can see the percentage you are at in the book and the dictionary as mentioned above. You can also read reveiws about the book before you buy and sample them aswell. I love mines!!! Plus it's lighter in your handbag :)

Ooooh yes lolly I love the dictionary on it, totally forgot about that feature and the fact you don't have to turn the page over to mark your place or use a bookmark. Perhaps i'm dicing with death, but I love reading with it in the bath, which means my books no longer end up damp or twice the size as when I went in. Plus when ive had enough of reading I can geek in the tub... wow that's a lovely vision for you all now isnt it!!:Scared::Scared::Scared:

Ooooh yes lolly I love the dictionary on it, totally forgot about that feature and the fact you don't have to turn the page over to mark your place or use a bookmark. Perhaps i'm dicing with death, but I love reading with it in the bath, which means my books no longer end up damp or twice the size as when I went in. Plus when ive had enough of reading I can geek in the tub... wow that's a lovely vision for you all now isnt it!!:Scared::Scared::Scared:

I was in the bath reading last night aswell! I don't use my phone in the bath coz I'm frightened I drop it!

I'm a college librarian and I HATE the smell of an old dusty book. I have an e-reader (Nook). With my Nook, I can
  • borrow books from public libraries (with a valid library card)
  • pre-order books
  • purchase books without having to leave my home
  • purchase books, magazines and newspapers
  • download countless books (imagine carry that same load around with you!)
  • upload pictures and video
  • listen to music while I'm reading
My Nook is WiFi ready so I can access the internet from a WiFi hotspot. Can't do that with a stinky old book!

I was in the bath reading last night aswell! I don't use my phone in the bath coz I'm frightened I drop it!

Ah well you see now Lolly, put some weight on like myself and theres not much chance of the phone falling between you and the side of the bath :eek:

I'm a college librarian and I HATE the smell of an old dusty book. I have an e-reader (Nook). With my Nook, I can
  • borrow books from public libraries (with a valid library card)
  • pre-order books
  • purchase books without having to leave my home
  • purchase books, magazines and newspapers
  • download countless books (imagine carry that same load around with you!)
  • upload pictures and video
  • listen to music while I'm reading
My Nook is WiFi ready so I can access the internet from a WiFi hotspot. Can't do that with a stinky old book!

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'm coming round buti still love me books

For me books win hands down every time, I just don't like reading screens for prolonged periods, neither kindles or my iPad. However, whilst I still think certain books deserve a proper paper edition there are certain trashy paper books that should be forced to be made in e-versions only. It chills my bones to think of the trees count down for much of what passes as 'literature' these days!!

Kindle, same thing, I thougt I'd hate not holding a book, i hate holding a book now! Just upgraded to a kindle fire but would recommend the normal kindle (I gave mine to my hubby but I miss it).

Kindle, same thing, I thougt I'd hate not holding a book, i hate holding a book now! Just upgraded to a kindle fire but would recommend the normal kindle (I gave mine to my hubby but I miss it).

I hate holding a book aswell. Especially when you were getting to the end it was sometime awkward to hold lying in bed. So a kindle is easier for this too!

Ah well you see now Lolly, put some weight on like myself and theres not much chance of the phone falling between you and the side of the bath :eek:

Haha! I'll bear this in mind!

I hate holding a book aswell. Especially when you were getting to the end it was sometime awkward to hold lying in bed. So a kindle is easier for this too!
I also HATE holding a book, especially when sunbathing. I love that the kindle is easy to read in bright sunshine and much easier to hold no matter what page you're reading.

I also HATE holding a book, especially when sunbathing. I love that the kindle is easy to read in bright sunshine and much easier to hold no matter what page you're reading.

Definitely! I can never seem to get a "good" hold on a book, always feel a bit awkward x

I still like my books but got a kindle earlier in year and when on holiday it was ace it fit in my hand luggage with plenty of books to last me. Since got ipad and mum has kindle now and she loves while i have app on pad. Still buy books from my fav author.

I converted to an e reader a couple of years back when I tried an app on my phone. I've not bought a print book for myself since. I like the fact that I can pick up and read wherever and whenever I want. I couldn't go back!

Kindle all the way.

A few people have said that they would not like looking at a screen to read. That's the beauty of a Kindle, the screen is as close to a printed piece of paper as possible. It is totally different to reading on an iPad for instances that has a back light like a computer.

You could read for hours (and I often do) and your eyes would not get tired using the Kindle.

I just love mine, I would not be without it.

Kindle.

Thought I'd never be converted from books but looove my kindle.

I can keep my 'books' (sometimes like to re-read a book) without them taking up space, it's so lightweight, it remembers your last page, you can read it in the sun, the dictionary is fab, and on it goes.

I don't understand highlighters. What are they? What are they for? Just need to check the e-manual to find out ;)

Kindle for me too :) ive bought my mum and dad one each for xmas too :)

Latest posts

Back