Box dye to sandy blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennhartt

Reaction score
Hi All
I need to do a colour change on a guy. He’s used a hideous box dye which is yellow. He wants to be a Sandy dark blonde. (Pics attached) Just want to check I’m doing the right formulas.
strip with effasol & then full head tint using a 8 base maybe 8.13 in majirel then highlight pieces out with bleach & 6% & then tone all with a 10.21 dialight to knock out any warmth.
Thoughts & advice please !

Attachments

• 3874D770-4F0F-45AC-B9ED-A48851D5CF2D.jpeg
    3874D770-4F0F-45AC-B9ED-A48851D5CF2D.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 8DA83E25-6A4D-414A-B4C0-19274FFF6050.jpeg
    8DA83E25-6A4D-414A-B4C0-19274FFF6050.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 39
Effasol, tint then bleach highlights?
Is this someone in your household (brother?) you don’t like? 😆 Because if you do all those steps, you’re going to ruin the condition of his hair.

You don’t need to use effasol as it’s already lifted to yellow so I’d probably lift the roots first using bleach, foil your highlights and then tone the rest.

Hi
Haha ok thanks. I was taught to strip out box dye so was going by that !!!
ok so we want his roots to be a dark blondebase 8, which they are already. Can I achieve this without bleaching his roots? As his roots are kinda the colour we want anyway?
is bleaching to a 10 then toning back to an 8 the only way to go ?

Sorry, I think you’ve misunderstood what I was trying to explain. I was suggesting bleaching the roots to match the rest, so lifting to around a Level 8/9.

In the second picture, the yellow hair looks to be about a level 8/9 and the roots a Level 6, although that might be just how it looks on my screen?

However, if you want to leave his roots that colour, that’s up to you. In which case, you just need to add some foil highlights and tone the rest with a 8/9 and whatever your normal brand is. You wouldn’t tone hair that’s lifted to an 8 with a toner that’s a level 10.

Fab reply thanks so much 🙏🏻

Latest posts

Back