Branching out into Skin Care

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaute

Reaction score
Hi,

I have now decided to go mobile after advice from fellow geeks.

Can anyone tell me if Gatineau, Clarins and Elemis could be used to do home facials.

Thanks

Louise

Hiya
im not sure about any off these but alot of big companys will not let you use there products if you go mobile as there are to many products to carry around.

I have phoned some of the companys before and there start up cost are pretty high.

Why dont you try calling them, they usually send out information and samples for you to try.

princessk said:
Hiya
im not sure about any off these but alot of big companys will not let you use there products if you go mobile as there are to many products to carry around.

I have phoned some of the companys before and there start up cost are pretty high.

Why dont you try calling them, they usually send out information and samples for you to try.

I was planning on buying the products from discount websites/department stores that I have been looking at this morning.

I noticed there was a fellow geek who uses Nimue, Clarins and Elemis, but didn't say whether they were trained in these products.

If i was you rather than buy from discounted stores etc i would decide on a company and do their trainig then you would know all about their products and how to use them the correct way imo hth.
Good luck what ever you decide.

Just my opinion but I prefer to stock a professional Facial range with training that I can retail to my clients rather than one they can buy themselves in their local dicount chemist. If the client likes the products and wants to buy them what would you say 'I buy them from Semichem/ Asda?'.
Knowing the products inside out is important so you can explain ingredients and effects to the client. Professional ranges are designed to work in synergy to give optimum results, so mixing and matching is unpredicatable.
Facials have a very high potential for retail so you are losing out on a lot of potential profit by not stocking them.
Professional ranges come do in all price brackets, you may find a lot are cheaper than you think. Yes I agree a well known brand would attract clients but if they cant buy the products from you they will go else where. IMO the results, being proficient and knowledgable about a range so you can prescribe is what sells it to clients.
HTH
KxXx

nemotail said:
Just my opinion but I prefer to stock a professional Facial range with training that I can retail to my clients rather than one they can buy themselves in their local dicount chemist. If the client likes the products and wants to buy them what would you say 'I buy them from Semichem/ Asda?'.
Knowing the products inside out is important so you can explain ingredients and effects to the client. Professional ranges are designed to work in synergy to give optimum results, so mixing and matching is unpredicatable.
Facials have a very high potential for retail so you are losing out on a lot of potential profit by not stocking them.
Professional ranges come do in all price brackets, you may find a lot are cheaper than you think. Yes I agree a well known brand would attract clients but if they cant buy the products from you they will go else where. IMO the results, being proficient and knowledgable about a range so you can prescribe is what sells it to clients.
HTH
KxXx

I can understand where you are coming from. Would a company train me as I am only planning on doing a 2 day facial course which I have been told will follow the NVQ level 2 syllabus at a local beauty wholesalers.

I am not sure Hun, some ranges need a minimum qualification and only teach you about products and others give a more comprehensive facial training.
Is the 2 day course not a range specific course? I would have thought a full facial course would have taken longer than 2 days - unless there are case studies and things to complete afterwards?
More affordable ranges with training you could look in to include Eve Taylor which I use, Susan Molyneaux and Environ. If you do a search on here for Facials you will find more ranges mentioned I am sure
HTH
KxXx

IF it is at the NVQ2 standard then i dont see why they would not train you.
Have you checked your insurence to see if your insured with the certificate?

nemotail said:
I am not sure Hun, some ranges need a minimum qualification and only teach you about products and others give a more comprehensive facial training.
Is the 2 day course not a range specific course? I would have thought a full facial course would have taken longer than 2 days - unless there are case studies and things to complete afterwards?
More affordable ranges with training you could look in to include Eve Taylor which I use, Susan Molyneaux and Environ. If you do a search on here for Facials you will find more ranges mentioned I am sure
HTH
KxXx

The course I am enrolled on is with Salon Sytem using there CHI range.

princessk said:
IF it is at the NVQ2 standard then i dont see why they would not train you.
Have you checked your insurence to see if your insured with the certificate?

I have checked for insurance and The Guild for professional beauty therapists have told me that I can do my insurance with them.

yeah you should be fine to train with other companys then. when i have trained with dermalogica they never asked for my NVQ certificate, as long as you have the basics and then when you chose a brand they will retrain you in the way that they do there treatments

princessk said:
yeah you should be fine to train with other companys then. when i have trained with dermalogica they never asked for my NVQ certificate, as long as you have the basics and then when you chose a brand they will retrain you in the way that they do there treatments

Thanks for the advice.

So do you still use Dermalogica then?

I thought that other companys wouldn't allow me to use there products as I haven't done a college course and I am only doing a facial course with Salon System.

Another problem is there are so many companys to choose from, which company do you think is the best to go with and why?

beaute said:
Thanks for the advice.

So do you still use Dermalogica then?

I thought that other companys wouldn't allow me to use there products as I haven't done a college course and I am only doing a facial course with Salon System.

Another problem is there are so many companys to choose from, which company do you think is the best to go with and why?

the salon where i use to use to work used dermalogica so they put me on the courses.
When i went on the course they didnt ask for my certificate so i guess they wouldnt no if u havent done a collage course.
I wouldnt have thought you had to have gone a collage course as there are so many different qualifications you can get for facials.

Call the companys and ask if they can send you some samples.
As long as you like and belive in the product you will be able to sell the products and the facials.

princessk said:
the salon where i use to use to work used dermalogica so they put me on the courses.
When i went on the course they didnt ask for my certificate so i guess they wouldnt no if u havent done a collage course.
I wouldnt have thought you had to have gone a collage course as there are so many different qualifications you can get for facials.

Call the companys and ask if they can send you some samples.
As long as you like and belive in the product you will be able to sell the products and the facials.

Thanks Princessk for your advice.

Regards
Louise

If you are to be the main account holder for dermalogica, then they will definitely want you to hold either NVQ BT4 or th equivalent BTec qualification.

I think they are more lenient if you work for someone who is the account holder, then you can just go on their training course whether you hold a qualification or not.
I only know all this because I'm in the process of getting dermalogica in our salon.

Sorry if this is a disappointment! perhaps if you just don't mention the status of your qualification, they won't ask and you'll be okay? I also know dermalogica can be quite pricey in their initial set-up fee.

PM me if you'd like to know more!

What are your opinions on Skin Truth, Natures Way and Anesi, Salon System CHI skin care products?

I have heard of them all, but unfortunately never tried any of them.

Just had a brainwave! We also stock Weleda in our salon (demanded by clients) who do all sorts of things along with skincare (body care, natural remedies). They're a well established company and give excellent customer service.

There is also no initial cost, you've just got to fill in a trade application and then it's up to you what you purchase. Trade prices are very reasonable, and they look professional enough to retail easily to clients.

The only thing I would say is some of their products contain lanolin, so you may want to watch out for that, all depending on your views. You could just pick and choose and avoid the ones with lanolin and still be left with a decent skincare range.

AmydeMan said:
I have heard of them all, but unfortunately never tried any of them.

Just had a brainwave! We also stock Weleda in our salon (demanded by clients) who do all sorts of things along with skincare (body care, natural remedies). They're a well established company and give excellent customer service.

There is also no initial cost, you've just got to fill in a trade application and then it's up to you what you purchase. Trade prices are very reasonable, and they look professional enough to retail easily to clients.

The only thing I would say is some of their products contain lanolin, so you may want to watch out for that, all depending on your views. You could just pick and choose and avoid the ones with lanolin and still be left with a decent skincare range.

Hi

Do they have a website?

Regards
Louise

I am thinking about taking on the Eve Taylor range. Has anyone used these products themselves either on you or on clients?

Latest posts

Back