Breaking Problem?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyc

Reaction score
Hi guys, please help or tell me - i have been doing a client for sometime now with gel and i use NSI Balance Gel, but she is always breaking them, she was originally leaving it about 3-4 weeks for re-balance and i said this is too long and we agreed fortnightly, she came back 2 weeks ago and she had broken one on the middle finger. I am due to hers this evening and she has text me saying 'i have lost 3 and half a thumb nail' now i presuming she has broken them - this is really frustrating and i need to know if it is something i am doing wrong can anyone please help me:cry: x x

Hi Kelly,
I would think that this client is quite heavy on her nails, Although enhancement are very durable I do personally think that some clients don't think before doing certain things and snap they have lost a couple. Also make sure you keep this clients nails short (less chance of breaking them off) and put plenty of products on the stress line.
Hths

Thanks Lesley they are a bit too long but thats how she likes them and not sure whether she will go shorter! So is it something im doing wrong? Can you being doing something wrong to cause breakages? Im starting to question myself now x

Kellyc said:
Hi guys, please help or tell me - i have been doing a client for sometime now with gel and i use NSI Balance Gel, but she is always breaking them, she was originally leaving it about 3-4 weeks for re-balance and i said this is too long and we agreed fortnightly, she came back 2 weeks ago and she had broken one on the middle finger. I am due to hers this evening and she has text me saying 'i have lost 3 and half a thumb nail' now i presuming she has broken them - this is really frustrating and i need to know if it is something i am doing wrong can anyone please help me:cry: x x

Hi Kelly
I have the same problem with a client and she keeps and we keep her overlays really short but she still breaks 2-3 a week but guest what....

She comes to me and I fix em and charge her....

She knows it is her fault as she is heavy handed and just forgets what she is doing.....

So dont worry too much, I am sure your enhancements are fine but may be like Lell says they need to be shorter.....

But stand proud and don't admit or suggest this is your fault ...and give her another aftercare leaflet, and be confident in your abilities, your positive approach and body language will shine through if you do.... :Love:

Hiya, we all get clients who just won't take your advice and don't look after them properly. Most causes of breakages are because they are too long for the clients lifestyle, the other reason is because your stress zone apex is either too flat ot not quite in the right place, but I can bet your bottom dollar it is because they are too long.

If I get clients like this I go through another consultation of their lifestyle (ie jobs, hobbies, sports etc), and make then see that, yes I can keep putting new nails back on and it is great for MY bank balance (and not theirs lol), but more importantly they are KNACKERING their natural nails underneath and if this continues they may become too damaged and I won't be able to contunue with their treatments.... so something has to change and you need to be strong with your client, after all do you want her going round saying these battered old things are YOUR nails lol!!

I have to agree with what has already been said, sounds like she is too heavyhanded and has the enhancement's too long. As long as you build up the stress line, then you have nothing to worry.

Don't doubt your ability (a client can see that and will then try it on :( ) Be firm but polite and stand your ground. You'll be fine :hug:

Lou x

There are only a couple of ways a technician can actually cause breakages.

1. too wet a mix
2. Not enough over the stress area
3. too long

I find that when a client genuinely breaks one nail, they pick or play with theothers until two or three more have broken knowing that they Will be seeing you soon. Put them right and charge for each repair. It's not until you hit some clients in their pocketbook that they begin to take more care of their enhancements.

my first thought was too long aswell, my sis loves her extra long nails, but i file them to a long but more appropriate length these days, as i was doing a repair every week, she can easily go to 3 weeks now and they are still long nails. (and in my opinion look more natural). trouble with clients is they hate to lose the length once they have grown it, but you must let her know as already mentioned if she keeps breaking them she will enevitably damage her natural nail plate, and when you know the reason for the breakages there should be no reason for any further damage. let her know what the problem is and ask her to let you do your job properly, you are the professional, and you are here to give advice for the good of her nails. why would she pay to have her nails done and then go against your professional advice and ultimately put her natural nails at risk of damage? if she insists, get her to sign for it on her consultation form, then she cannot come crying back to you later.
hope you get on ok, i have learnt the hard way you need to be firm with your clients, and tell them what will happen if they do not follow your advice.

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies, on the subject of signing a form she has already done that as she had previously been to a salon before that from what i could see were using the wrong products! Unfortunately i am a bit soft and havent charged her for any of her breakages and there is at least 1 every fortnight and now theres 3 - i do agree that if i charge for breakages people will be or hopefully will be more careful but how can i bring that into action when i havent charged her before? thanks for your help x

Kellyc said:
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies, on the subject of signing a form she has already done that as she had previously been to a salon before that from what i could see were using the wrong products! Unfortunately i am a bit soft and havent charged her for any of her breakages and there is at least 1 every fortnight and now theres 3 - i do agree that if i charge for breakages people will be or hopefully will be more careful but how can i bring that into action when i havent charged her before? thanks for your help x
You just have to say that your policy is one repair included with every rebalance but you cannot go one taking the extra time to repair more than that without charging more for the extra time. Perfectly reasonable!

Start as you mean to go on ... a lesson learned here for the future. Don't give out freebies! You make a rod for your own back and it is not professional anyway. It's kind and sweet and what most women are inclined to do but it is not professional!!

geeg said:
You just have to say that your policy is one repair included with every rebalance but you cannot go one taking the extra time to repair more than that without charging more for the extra time. Perfectly reasonable!

Start as you mean to go on ... a lesson learned here for the future. Don't give out freebies! You make a rod for your own back and it is not professional anyway. It's kind and sweet and what most women are inclined to do but it is not professional!!
Thanks Gigi, it is definately a lesson well learnt unfortunately because i thought i was doing something wrong hence the breakages i never put my foot down in the first instance - i now know better x

Latest posts

Back