Bridal make-up, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbudx2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got my first ever bridal makeup trial in a weeks time, and I'm REALLY nervous, so much so that it's keeping me awake at night 😔

I have had both makeup and bridal makeup training, but I'm just really worried the bride to be isn't going to like way I do, and worse still, I work with her in my other part time job as a receptionist.

She is a real Tom boy and doesn't really know what she wants so its making it really difficult for me! She initially wanted red and black smokey eyes?! Who wants that?!

Anyway, I did a red and black look on her and she hated it, which is making me really nervous about her proper trial!

I know I shouldn't care about what people think and if she doesn't like it she could go elsewhere, but I don't want to create a bad impression!

Can anyone give any advice? Has anyone been in this situation before?

I'm really worried! 😔

You will be fine. Brides act scarier than what they are :)
Just sit her down and do a consult, take control and advise her what she should have and why. The point of the trial is to do exactly that... trial the looks to get the one she is happy with for her big day.
Keep it simple and highlight her features.
Good luck

breathe! you'll be fine, all brides can be picky but it's usually the ones who wear loads of make up that are the worst because they are quite specific about how they do their make up.

I would get a few bridal mags or get on the net and print some pictures of stuff you think will suit her, to show her. If she's not much of a make up wearer, a more natural look might be more what she would be comfortable with. You can always amp it up from there by smoking it up a bit or adding some liner or lashes.

I had a friend who wanted this (horrific) dark black smoky eye at first. I ended up talking her down to a compromise and she still had a smoky eye but it didn't look like she'd gone 12 rounds with a block of cement.

I normally ask them for an idea of what colours they want and then do my own thing based around colours and we can then tweak it from there.

Overall, just be confident and if you're not yet - fake it!

If she's a tomboy and not used to makeup I would do something very natural on her - seeing yourself with a face full of make up when you're not used to it is very strange and takes some getting used to, so however flamboyant her dress sense is I would ease her in gently with the makeup (even if she 'thinks' she wants something outrageous). You can gradually add to the colours if she wants something more dramatic.

Don't forget a trial is not a 'showcase' where you do one look and hope the bride loves it - if you have to try 3 or 4 looks to find something she's happy with, does it matter? Just make sure you have time (and snacks on hand) and approach it on the basis that it's a bit of an experiment to see what she likes.

Start light and work it up, its easy to get darker but harder to get things lighter!! As everyone says Brides act scarier than what they are, just be confident and take control! Good luck!

Oh i remember that feeling! Bless you. I find the ones that usually wear less the best ones to deal with as has been a pointed out. Do your base first then when I it comes to colours use your intuition, if one of my brides wanted red n black I would be reluctant. Normally at a trial if they have an idea they want to try I do one eye their idea then the other eye what i think will work. 9 times out of 10 they prefer mine but if they really do want their idea then that's fine just make sure they are totally happy. It's a nerve wrecker but it's so lovely being part of the big day. X

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Oh girlies you have been so helpful, it's just so nice knowing I'm not the first person to feel like this.

All your advise has been brilliant. Thank you. I didn't know who else I could speak to about this as I don't want to come across unconfident.

I love makeup, it's my favourite part of being a beautician, and deep down I know what I should be doing but it's horrible when nerves kick in and throw everything out of the window!

If anyone else has any advice/tips please send them my way 😊

x X x X x

Few more tips:
I always ask their color scheme to see if I can tie in the eyeshadow with the dress, flowers or accessories.

I cut out tonnes of pics from wedding mags etc and have collated them into a look book. I have 'classic' 'bold' 'colorful' 'vintage' and 'beach' sections.

Oooh I love wedding make up its my favourite thing to do x

A 'look book' what a brilliant idea, I've taken a few snaps from google so that should help. 😊

I've told the bride to be to flick through magazines and google etc but she has not been doing it... Rather frustrating as I feel like I'm stabbing in the dark!

Her colour scheme is black, white and claret red (hence the awful request for red and black smokey eye makeup). Her dress is ivory so was thinking of working with creams and a slight hint of brown as she has brown eyes and hair, she is also going to wear false lashes for the day so don't want to make her makeup look like she's going on a night out if you know what I mean!

Greys might be nice for the eyes not too black but still bold and will work with the scheme. A lot of my brides wear cluster lashes on the outer corners (4-6) to open their eyes without it looking to much like a night out! X

Your eyeshadow idea sounds great too, just re read my last post and it sounded like i was ignoring your idea and saying mine lol sorry x

Grey sounds like a good idea, I'll have a google now to see what it comes back with, thanks for the idea 😊 x

Or a lighter eye with a flick of black liner and a red lip?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I know exactly how you feel as I have a client at the moment who s wedding theme is Multi Coloured - so when we where talking about eye shadow colour (although i and most clients like to keep it quite natural) she said she wanted bright yellow ! yes exactly what I though! as much as i tryed to talk her out of it in a nice way - that what she wanted and luckily she didnt like it ! then she wanted dark blue !!and that wasnt what she wanted either once we tried it.

My client isnt a make up wearer either and in the end she admitted she didnt really know what she wanted any way so this has taught me to always bring pictures/mags!

In the end we went for a natural look but added a dark eyeliner on top and lashes. so most clients do tend to like the quite natural look with maybe a hint of colour / light smokey (mine all have anyway)
you will be just fine :) xx

Ive had a look at some grey eye makeup and really like it... Will show her some pictures and see what she thinks... I did a demo night at my salon the other day and the liquid eyeliner and red lipstick looked quite nice, she wants to have red nails so that could work well... Will see what she thinks about that too.

Wow yellow? And blue?

I guess I just want it to be right first time, which it probably won't be, and I don't want her to doubt choosing me because I won't get it right!

I am (unfortunately) one of these very pathetic sensitive people lol, and I just really don't want to screw anything up and feel like a failure! (bit dramatic I know, but true!)

Thanks again for all the advice girls, your amazing...

If anyone else has ideas of tips please let me know x x x

I know exactly how you feel hun but
Your deffinatly not a failure you just want
The best for your client which is a good thing :)

If ever you feel like that though just remember
Or reasure your client this is what the trial is for
To get it perfect for them! :)

Xxx

You have all been so helpful... Starting to feel more positive about it now... Thanks girlies I knew I was asking in the right place x x x

Another thing is - it won't look quite right till she has her hair done and is wearing the dress and veil .

So when they are wearing their everyday clothes and your doing a trial - they may feel 'over the top' but they need to remember that they dont wear a wedding dress everyday either!!!

Also leave her for an hour or so till she gets used to it. If they dont always wear makeup they may not like it immediately - sometimes it has to grow on them.

I also try and show them at each stage so there's not too much to take in with the finished look.

I like the idea of false lashes - black flicked liner a pale silver or grey lid (the lashes will show up better ) and a medium or bright red. This will look stunning if she will go for it. xx

How did it go hun? Xx

Sent from my GT-S5363 using Tapatalk 2

Pazzy that sounds so simple yet effective, I have suggested grey to her and she said we can try it...

The trial is this Saturday :oS ive just been getting all my bits and bobs together for it!

I can't wait for it to be over to be honest lol! X

Latest posts

Back