Brightening a ginger (not a natural one)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loobster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, its a long one i hope i dont lose anyone!

im currently just in the middle of my level 2 hairdresser training and my previously really light blonde bleached sister came into my in college salon to get a new colour on. She was the bleached blonde and then another hairdresser in trying to make it ginger (and who pre pigged it with a brown colour??) had made her blonde hair just a washed out mid brown colour. She then came in and we fixed it up. She has a natural base of 5 and I use Indola so I pre pigged with an orange copper pre pig gel, coloured with a full tube 8.0 1/4 7.44 1/4 8.34 and used 2 to 3 inches of 0.44 with a 20 vol we got the colour she wanted, although it does fade a bit where her blonde was but thats fine. Ive been doing her regrowth now for a few months and all is fine but i did it the other day and i used a touch more of the 0.44 in there thinking it would brighten the copper up but its gone a much darker browny ginger in doing so. I didnt do nothing else different to normal so im guessng its that whats done it. She now wants it brightening up and brightening more than what it was as now to a lighter ginger like Marcia Cross's hair. Im off college now for another week or so and just needed a bit of help before I get to speak to my tutor as i dont think shes that patient to wait that long but i'll try! Now do I keep my colours ive used as she likes the shade and just use a higher vol peroxide say, or do I use a different colour mix? Ive seen the 8.44 in the wholesalers and that looks more the colour she wants so do I get that in there somehow? as the 8.34 is a more browny ginger? sorry if i lost anyone!

Personally i wouldnt use a higher peroxide, mainly due to whats been done underneath- heavy peroxide bleach. You've already got the desired lift, so to fill the colour or refreshing it: Id use a toner/colour booster to give it that vibrancy, rather than a permanent tint. Reds/coppers tend to fade quicker. hths xoxo

Latest posts

Back