Bringing a dog into work, thoughts!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 4 cat's and I wouldn't have any of them in my salon.:biggrin:

Problem with cats is they know when someone hates them and so they make a point of giving that person a "bum hello" and settling in to their lap. And we know the law..the one where you can't move a sleeping cat off your lap?

I have a couple of wee dogs but work from home. But as much as I love them and have had a couple of clients say "let them come downstairs", I just won't. Apart from the fact they're too much of a distraction whilst trying to work, a lot of people don't like dogs, even if they're tiny and unthreatening. Some folk just don't appreciate it. So I'd rather keep my dogs out of it. I love them to bits, but it's not worth alienating potential clients. It wouldn't put me off if I went to somebody who did have dogs about. But I know a lot of people who wouldn't like it, so I would never risk it.

Im suprised at all theses no no no! I think it is different north of the border as I have a few English friends who can' believe you would take your dog on a night out to the pub and restaurant and then in the morning take the dog into the shop for your morning rolls. I don't think in my dogs 12 years I have lost few clients due to my dog, if clients are scared you have to make sure the dog is out of sight. I appreciate though some people do not like dogs. As I said previously my nail bar and hairdressers allow my dog in too. Dogs like company, each to their own I suppose, but the dug places here in Edinburgh are definately more you high end variety e.g in exclusive areas stockbridge and the likes, they know it brings in money. Good thread though!

I also live in Edinburgh, and whilst there are a few pubs that allow dogs in with the "dugs in pubs" thing, it's the case everywhere that some places do let dogs in, not just north of the border. But it's the minority of places, not the majority. I've been told off for even carrying my tiny puppy (about the size of a guinea pig) into a local shop to buy some chewing gum, and was told I had to leave her outside before they'd serve me. Of course I couldn't leave such a tiny dog outside, so I had to leave, even though she was being carried and not on the shop floor, and it was just a quick in and out as I was just buying chewing gum. But I wasn't even allowed to buy that. Plus, I don't know of any beauty places in Edinburgh who allow dogs. I know of a male barber's who keeps his own dogs in the basement room during the day, but won't allow them upstairs while clients are in.

No, no, no and no :)

I think it crosses the line. What would happen if a client was having a treatment and had a serious allergic reaction. Or the dog emptys his daily food on the floor!? Errgh.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs (I have 2 at home), but if I went for a treatment and they had a dog, I would never return.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

The salon where i used to work the manager liked dogs and had a few clients with dogs who used to come to the salon and just curled up until....another loyal regular client who never left the house without her dog came in with her new puppy, which replaced the old placid previous dog, which at first was cute he used to curl up under the reception desk & sleep. She took it a bit far & used to come in with training pads for him, which he used to refuse to use! The final straw came when he peed all over her massive collin poster accompanied with a poo!! I was sad that i wasnt going to get paid to stroke dogs but it was the right decision as we had a client in one night when another client had brought her dog in and she just sat there petrified, she aventually told us but we never saw her again!

I work from my home salon half of the week and if clients ask to see my dogs then i let them in to say hello but I can't work with them in the salon, they get under my feet! lol

It wouldn't put me off if there was a dog in a salon, but I'm a huge dog lover! as long as they were well behaved it would be fine x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365720196.268017.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365720196.268017.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 103
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365720210.614216.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365720210.614216.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 96
no. i love animals and thats why it's a no.
for their health.

when i was practicing l&p acrylics the chemicals in the air aggrevated my cats skin and she chewed the fur leaving a bald patch for several weeks. had to take her to vets for antibiotics and steroids.

all the chemicals cant be good for their poor organs.

The salon where i used to work the manager liked dogs and had a few clients with dogs who used to come to the salon and just curled up until....another loyal regular client who never left the house without her dog came in with her new puppy, which replaced the old placid previous dog, which at first was cute he used to curl up under the reception desk & sleep. She took it a bit far & used to come in with training pads for him, which he used to refuse to use! The final straw came when he peed all over her massive collin poster accompanied with a poo!! I was sad that i wasnt going to get paid to stroke dogs but it was the right decision as we had a client in one night when another client had brought her dog in and she just sat there petrified, she aventually told us but we never saw her again!

Do you not think that's more a situation of random dogs rather than your own which you know is trained?

As an add to my yes earlier, I wouldn't allow others dogs in, just because it may activate my dog.

Xoxo

This is just a joke gone too far....:eek: eeeeewww:irked:

I also live in Edinburgh, and whilst there are a few pubs that allow dogs in with the "dugs in pubs" thing, it's the case everywhere that some places do let dogs in, not just north of the border. But it's the minority of places, not the majority. I've been told off for even carrying my tiny puppy (about the size of a guinea pig) into a local shop to buy some chewing gum, and was told I had to leave her outside before they'd serve me. Of course I couldn't leave such a tiny dog outside, so I had to leave, even though she was being carried and not on the shop floor, and it was just a quick in and out as I was just buying chewing gum. But I wasn't even allowed to buy that. Plus, I don't know of any beauty places in Edinburgh who allow dogs. I know of a male barber's who keeps his own dogs in the basement room during the day, but won't allow them upstairs while clients are in.

Yes there are corner shops which don't allow dogs. In my experience these tend to be run by an ethnic minority who are not used to dogs, which is fair enough. I just don't use them when the dogs about. I can give you the names of hair and beauty places which allow dogs. There is a hairdressers in the west end and a very busy nail bar with Beauty in Leith that allow dogs. I can name a few other hairdressers its just being in the know who is ok with it, hence why dugsnpub website was created.

I would say no, I love my dogs to bits and hate leaving them when I go to work but I know they are safe at home, they have all their creature comforts and they will not be around anyone or anything that might harm them. All those chemicals and health hazards even nasty people teasing them or secretly hurting or smacking them? I really believe that it can not be good for them to be around those smells, spills and temptations. I never leave them for longer than 4 hours, if I am working long hours I make sure hubby or a trusted friend will be there to let them out, walk them and give them some love and attention. They need companionship, exercise and mental stimulation but in a safe and controlled environment

I did a clients feet the other day at her house and her puppy was a nightmare, (the cutest nightmare ever) constantly trying to play with my things, once the chemicals came out I insisted that the puppy be controlled. She kept it on her lap and the poor little mite hated the smells.It made her sneeze and cough. Obviously I had to throw away a fair bit of stuff that the puppy had "loved" and spent ages barbiciding and boilwashing where appropriate. I am always hygienic with tools etc but puppy drool was a bit much. LOL

The other worry is with the Dangerous Dogs Act if anyone FEELS fearful around your dog they ( even if it is only in their head) are within their rights to report it as a dangerous dog, it is then up to you to prove your dog is not dangerous.They are guilty untill proved innocent. In the worst case scenarios they take your pet to an undisclosed place and keep it in solitary for sometimes months ( Lennox was much longer) before you can even see it or get it back. Seriously your dog does not even need to have barked at them, just be there looking awesome to too can be frightening to others. Don't think that just because you have a little fluffy dog that it would be less frightening to someone scared of dogs. Did you know that Sausage Dogs are most prolific biters? The most dangerous dog is actually small and cute looking!!! Not a Pit Bull or a Rottweiler!Recently in Suffolk a 12 year old dog with no teeth anymore from age with severe arthritis causing mobility issues was confiscated and kept from his owners for months until they could prove him to not be a danger to the public because someone had reported him as a dangerous dog!!!!!

I love my boys way too much to have their lives depend on the fears and whimsy of others. Call me paranoid but my boys are only safe when with me or at my house, indoors when I am not with them. Don't get me started on all the pet thefts from back gardens, outside shops and even whilst being walked on the lead by their owners. Either for ransom, to be sold on, to be bred or worst outcome to be used as bait dogs for the dog fighting rings.

Last edited:
See I love dogs! Love love love them, but would never dream of having them in the salon, my own dog (German Shepard) is extremely well behaved, I don't even have to speak, she knows what I want her to do, she could be lying down somewhere if I click my fingers and point she will move there instead, if she decides to not listen any time she is told to do something, tut and she does it lol.

My friends can't get over how well behaved she is, and she's naughty compared to how good she was!! My dad feeding her too many times without making her sit, or letting her just come in without wiping her feet etc, that's a thing, keep saying dry your feet she just walks around in circles (on a towel it works) haha.

Anyway, I wouldn't have her in the salon, she wouldn't move, ever, she'd have no intention of going outside, but people come her to chat, relax and I dunno I see it as unprofessional! And to me the only salons you see this behaviour in are the sweaty Betty ones which have a certain type of clientele (not being nasty but you have to agree)

It wouldn't stop me going to a salon,unless they smelt, but i would think twice depending on my plans that day like if I was going shopping and didnt want to be covered in fur,! Also I wouldn't pay high end price with a salon which had pets in, as instantly your lowering the value of your own work!

Latest posts

Back