Bringing a dog into work, thoughts!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scissor hands

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, just wondered what your thoughts were about bringing a dog into a hair/beauty salon?

I remember there was a lengthy thread on this a while back, I can't link it on my phone though x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I just tried to find the thread for you but can't see it anywhere.

I am a huge dog lover but personally I would absolutely not expect to see a dog in a salon.

I used to go to a hair salon and was very loyal to them. They bought a dog, a gorgeous little thing all white and fluffy and very friendly. Every time I used to go in it would come and jump up and sit on my lap, I did not encourage it, and every time I left I would leave covered in dog hair. Not what I wanted and in the end it was one of the reasons I stopped going.

Some key factors to consider:

Clients with a fear of dogs
Clients with an allergy to dogs
Hazard of tripping etc
The hygiene factor (Even if your dog is impeccably clean how do your clients know this? And it will occur to some of them)

I am sure there will be many varied opinions on this, this is just mine.

I do as long as not jumping up on people and the client are not bothered by it. Always ask clients if they are ok if not lock the dog away in another room. Never have the door in the treatment. A christmas I get lots pressies for the dog, toys bones etc... Also here in Edinburgh you can take your dug most places pubs, shops we have this site www.dugsnpubs.com and it tells you what shops you can take them in. My hairdresser allows my dog in and as you see lots of shops even proper clothes allow dogs.

Last edited:
The hairdressers I go to always have their dog there, a massive gorgeous labradoodle! Everyone seems to love him, he never really bothers anyway, I don't have a problem with it but personally I wouldn't have animals in a salon if I was to own one. X

I love animals, but wouldn't dream of having one in the salon. I don't think it's appropriate.

As previously said, hygiene reasons - pets lose fur and sweat and drool in the heat. Flying fur can get in products and all over your clients.

You would have to be extra vigilant with cleanliness, wet dog stinks, and fleas. Even if your dog is completely clean, sitting next to a client scratching or licking his bits doesn't give the best impression and could make them question your salon's cleanliness.

You would need to ensure plenty of breaks to check if they need to pee and make sure they had enough water.

How would your pet be affected by your salon? The chemical smell, the noise, etc.

Are you positive that your dog under no circumstances will start barking and making noise ruining your client's supposedly relaxing environment?

How does your insurance feel about pets?

Clients with allergies

Clients that are afraid of dogs, regardless of size

Clients that dislike dogs

Will your dog sit quietly, or will he be sniffing around possibly tripping you and your clients, particularly when working with scissors or carrying tint bowls? Will he be getting covered in hair?

Hope this helps xx

Absolutely no!

You know that dugsnpubs thing really brings in the punters into shops in Edinburgh you will see their window sticker everywhere!

You know that dugsnpubs thing really brings in the punters into shops in Edinburgh you will see their window sticker everywhere!

I'm not arguing with you, i'm sure that is a great niche selling point, but i wonder if salons that do let dogs in would get more clients than salons that do not.

Also, if you were to let other people bring dogs in, rather than just your own, imagine the havoc it could cause if they decided that they wanted to play or fight with eachother. I just don't think it's worth the hassle as we have such expensive equipment that could easily get broken or cause damage to us, our clients and the pets....can you imagine trying to get spilt wax off of one of those fluffy dogs for example xx

Last edited:
Oh I agree, but it comes down to dogs being well behaved, if they are it is not so bad. In the pubs here there can be 5 dogs walking round it's a great ice breaker, so obviously dog do not always fight. I don't think I would let other folks dog in unless, I knew the dog! But never ever I a treatment room only a separate reception.

Why would a dog be in a salon in the first place??? Unless it's getting highlights lol

I don't mind if people are walking by with a dog on a lead and they pop into book an appointment but that's it!! No longer lol

I absolutely love dogs but don't think they should be in a salon, so many people can be scared of them or allergic to them. A few of my clients pop in and make appointments, I don't mind if its just for a minute, but one of my elderly clients brought hers in for an appointment, I didn't have the heart to say she couldn't, luckily no one else was in a the time

When I bought my salon the owner previous had a dog there. I've had the salon for 9 months now and I'm repeatedly being asked if the dog was still there and if it wasent then they would return to the salon. Customers do not like dogs in a salon. Salons are supposed to be a clean place where you come to relax, not a place where you go to be jumped on by a dog and come out covered in hair x

If I had my own salon my dog would be there. He doesn't jump on people, hardly moults, doesn't lick himself in inappropriate places and prefers to just sit or lie on his bed or on a chair.

He's amazing with kids, will let them do what they want even pull his ears, and when he's had enough he will go in another room and the kids are told to not follow him. He's never snapped, growled or barked at a child, and I have in the past, and will in the future leave children alone with him, I've complete trust that he would never harm them (and I've left him with baby's in carriers, all he wants to do with baby's is lie next to them or put his head on their legs).

I'd not need to check if he needs the loo, he always lets me know when he needs to go, can hold it for a bit and we have only ever had accidents of him pooping in the house when he's been ill.

Clients would be told there would be a dog, so if its allergies they don't have to come, and as for fear, the same again, he doesn't approach people so there's no reason for it. I don't lock him out of any room or in a room at home when we have visitors because its his house too, and I've always had the mid frame of "its his house not yours, don't like it then don't come in".

I think there is a market for everyone, some don't like the idea, and that's fine because there are salons without dogs in them too, but (and until I get my own salon and have my dog there) I have thought there may be a boost in business from having a friendly, calm and clean dog in the shop which people can make a fuss of....

Little fact, stroking a dog can extend your life as the stroking action is relaxing to yourself and the dog creating a bond, releasing endorphins and ultimately prolonging your life unless some unforeseen accident such as a crash should be the reason for death. Xoxo

No, no it's not right is it? Now cat's...that's a whole different story:D:lol:

No it's not right and it's completely unhygenic.
If I went to a salon and they had a dog or any other animal then I would walk out.
You have to think about clients that you may lose because of this. Business is all about catering to your clients and putting them first, not yourself!

A client went to have his hair today and I was looking after his dog. Biggest dog I have ever see excuse for the bad pic he's beautiful

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365642393.764498.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365642393.764498.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 208

Latest posts

Back