brittle nail problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails At The Hat Hire Company

Reaction score
i have a potential client who contacted me - via email which was great coause i could look up the complaint and email back without sounding too unsure on the phone.
she described her symptoms and i clearly stated i thought it was onychorrhexis - and exp-lained about diagnosis over email and not doc etc.,
looking up in my book encyclopia of nails, it says overfiling, or overuse of cuticle solvents as a possible cause.
this i relaid to her but is their something i can offer her as practical advise.
i aslo said to seek a gp advise if they were sore or swollen in anyway.
any help much appreciated

Hi Jen,

as you say it is very difficult diagnosing problems from words rather than sight.

Brittle nails are mostly due to lack of moisture. The best thing you can advise your client is to apply a good cuticle oil daily - Solar Oil, Jessica Phenomen Oil etc. Look for one ideally with Jojoba oil and avoid the heavy mineral oils.

Regular manicures will help. I would also advise a good moisturising basecoat.

You could also try a very thin overlay to help make her varnish look and feel better and with the oil and basecoat treatment, her nails should grow out much improved.

hi thanks for your reply. i did advise her to have regular professional manicures.
in the nail encyclopedia it says that this disorder can be caused by cuticle oil.... so could i recommend a cuticle cream or is that the same.
what else could she use

Thehandsanctuary said:
hi thanks for your reply. i did advise her to have regular professional manicures.
in the nail encyclopedia it says that this disorder can be caused by cuticle oil.... so could i recommend a cuticle cream or is that the same.
what else could she use

Sorry Jen, it says cuticle solvents - I would understand this to mean cuticle remover products. I cannot see on this God's green earth that Solar oil could cause damage to anything LOL. I use it or similar for just about every bit of dryness.

Thehandsanctuary said:
what else could she use

It does say "solvents" which would mean cuticle remover probably. Solar oil could only help the healing process. I would advise against cuticle oils containing mineral oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back