Brown to Blonde?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodipodi

Reaction score
hi guys im after a little advice...my cuz has dark brown hair-coloured-and wants to go as blonde as poss now!! Im not a professional/qualified yet but am i right in telling her probs the best way is to have a full head bleached hi lites and go gradually? she is willing and wanting me to do it but says shed like a few different shades like caramel and maybe a golden blonde through it:eek:. Can this be achieved by alternating the bleach with hi lift tints or would she have to wait til her hair has been lightened sufficiently with the bleach then put the tints on? She wants it done in one go but im not sure the tints will have the desired effect :confused:
I said shed be better going to a professional and i have explained she may not get exactly what she wants but she seems to be confident in me and im thinking this is the only way im going to get practice if people are willing to let me try:hug:

great news what a thing to get to practise! is her hair coloured dark brown or is it natural....tint wont lift tint, so something to consider in your consultation.

as for wanting it done in one, if you feel u want to bleach up and add tint a week after then do that. dont feel you have to go by her, ur the professional and under ur advice is what she should do. this goes for everyone. ur'l soon learn some people think we are here only to serve them, and i dont mean the peeps that on the off chance ring for a trim but someone who rings on the day expecting big things like colours and perms done there and then.....it just cant happen when uv got a full coloumn, not without cost to the clients that have pre booked.

personally i think i would bleach up foil high lights use 12 % and take it from there.....if you leave out a hair section every other foil ur'l get a toned effect with the dark running through...could be a compromise in the mean time......lets us know more!

Aww thanks for that Blutopaz I thought I might get slated a bit for trying to do it when Im not fully qualified yet but like you say everyone needs willing models and they are hard to come by as people are often frightened youre gonna let them go out lookin like worzel gummidge lol! Her hair is coloured brown so I know itll affect the outcome..think I might do the full head bleach foils and tell her she'll have to be patient. If I do the highlights then try and go back in after its gonna be hard to pick up the lifted bits so im thinkin way too awkward...? xx

Hi Jodi

You could do bleach foils but try alternating using different strengths of peroxide to get different tones .

e.g: 12% then a 6%,then 9% etc.

You will have to keep your eye on the 12% more though.

What I would do is use 3 different coloured foils , get 3 dishes mix some bleach with each of the diff strength peroxide and work quickly.

Try not to be too uniform about it, as you want a multi toned random look.

The outcome will be 3 diff blondes , and because its bleach you can control it and its visual as its developing.

Just be careful at the roots tho as bleach swells .

Of course this will depend on the condition of her hair etc.

This is just an option for you to try.

I did somebodys hair using 3 diff peroxides and it looked the bizz.

You can actually get a similar result as using 3 different blond colours, when the client has a full head colour and cant be lifted with tint.

hth

Elaine xxxxxx:hug::hug:

Thats a really good idea I'm gonna do it like that I think. Something I wouldnt have thought of. I'll do that and then let yous know what happens-she hasnt said what day she wants it done yet but Ill keep yous posted-ill try and get some pics too xx

Aww thanks for that Blutopaz I thought I might get slated a bit for trying to do it when Im not fully qualified yet but like you say everyone needs willing models and they are hard to come by as people are often frightened youre gonna let them go out lookin like worzel gummidge lol! Her hair is coloured brown so I know itll affect the outcome..think I might do the full head bleach foils and tell her she'll have to be patient. If I do the highlights then try and go back in after its gonna be hard to pick up the lifted bits so im thinkin way too awkward...? xx
lol bring back worzel i say!!! he was 'da man! lol, just dont make em like it any more.

ur right it prob is a bit awkward for u and lavender-blue has made a great suggestion and very true about the swelling of bleach, leave some space at the top of the foil to allow for that and make sure u fold the foil right to the top... just be aware by the time uv got to the top part of the head, the back will probably need to come off.

so keep checking them and have a spray water bottle full and a few towels at the ready and spray them off, then carry on with the rest. its a fairly long process when uv not got ur speed yet, but that will come and it will look great!

let us know how it goes

O cr@p Ive forgot my sectioning technique...is it back of the neck to front of the head then back each side then front each side....hmmm might have some of my coursework somewhere.... Ive only done partial head highlights on a real person Ive forgotten which way to go for a full head!!!!! x

Last edited:
yeah thats right, although thats just the standard set, you can personalise it to meet your clients hair. This is a massive job to do it the way im going to suggest and i prob wouldnt do this just yet as you may need a touch more experience, but for the future...... recently ive had quite a few peeps saying they want to be lighter (from a dark all over), and have done a very mild bleach shampoo to life some of the build up out, then placed foils in of tint and maybe bleach and an all over colour touch. brilliant result and a huge change in colour, but does need alot of work.

i think the best bet is the few different bleach and peroxide measures, although you could try 10/0 + a touch of bleach in it, as 10/0 does lift tint, it is the only colour that does. gives a nice tone. hope it goes good, when are you doing it?
x
x

Next week I think.What mix do you use for a bleach wash?!! I dont want to make too much extra work out of it but I do want to make a good job...I think Im going to stick with the different strengths option but maybe put a 10/0 through aswell. I really hope it goes well,think I can do it but need to just get some confidence! xx Thanks guys

hot cross bun for your sectioning, back to front - ear to ear, i tend to start with the back middle section and foil up to the occipital ( roughly where youd start ur t section from) then i do either side of that, then i move on to the sides then top and fringe area to finish. this way as it takes and needs to come off, it makes it easier to rinse the sections off at a basin without getting the others wet. if you havent got the basin use the towels and the water spray like i said before.

as you get more confident you'll just know by eye where you want to put them instead of doin the basic. but dont run before you can walk, get ur confidense and the rest will come espiecially with such willing friends and family!!

Thanx for that hun,it seems they are confident in me (ive done plenty peoples colours just not as drastic a change) its just ME thats not confident in me lol! Thats a good idea ,I think that the front always lifts quicker anyway?? Ill try it that way,no what you mean about the basin...in my case though itll be over the bath ha ha ha xxx

lol done many an over the bath jobbie and def use the towel and spray then til ur left with the t section on then it should be more or less ready to wash all off, if not spray the sides off to then wash over the bath when the tops ready.

top does lift quicker as there's more body heat....just check continually and go by eye. in time with re-touches u will find with white resistant hair u need to start with the front sections first as they will take longer to cover.

the more u get under your belt the more confidence ur'l get. our job is'nt as easy as people think....lot more to it then slapping a bit of colour on eh! lol

Latest posts

Back