Brushes not fanning out? Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortshadylady

Reaction score
Dear Geeks

I wonder if anyone has experienced what I have on a few occasions.. Basically, I've found that a couple of my Shellac colours seem thick and the brushes 'unforgiving'. Now, I do believe that in the instance of Masquerade, this is entirely my own fault for painting far too slowly which has resulted in a thick product which seems to hold the brush bristles together and prevent them from fanning nicely.

I do however have a new bottle of Red Baroness which I have only used twice and on the second occasion (today), the same was happening. The brush was remaining quite tightly packed and refusing to fan out, preferring to sort of twist to one side rather than fan. I'm afraid that doesn't explain it well. Also, already the product seems much thicker than when I first opened it.

Could anyone please tell me what on earth I am doing to my lovely Shellac?? What am I doing wrong?! I always tap the bottle on the palm of my hand a number of times prior to use and I ensure that its nowhere near the lamp. I don't work in a conservatory or next to any windows.

Thank you all very much in advance x

I've noticed the same with one of mine, can't remember which one now, I thought it was a one off. X

I think sometimes the product just congeals the bristle together.

At the part of your brush closes to the lid just press down on the rim of the bottle once you've wiped the shellac off your brush. This should separate the bristles perfectly xxx

Or try soaking in acetone xx

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Or try soaking in acetone xx

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Please don't do this - there's no need. :hug: Your brushes just have some residual coating on them from the production process which will remove very easily with a lint-free wipe. Take a look here for more info: http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/204797-shellac-polish-brushes.html

As for the thickness, you do need to give your Shellac a good shake with each use to blend the monomer, polymer and solvent components. If you don't blend it well enough, you will use up too much solvent, and the remaining product will be thicker as a result. Hope this helps xx

If your brush starts off ok but only goes thicker/stiffer after several applications make sure you're not applying shellac within the range of your light. Turn your lamp on and then switch the lights off so your room is dark and you'll see where the light from your lamp is and where you shouldn't put your bottle/brush.

Please don't do this - there's no need. :hug: Your brushes just have some residual coating on them from the production process which will remove very easily with a lint-free wipe. Take a look here for more info: http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/204797-shellac-polish-brushes.html

As for the thickness, you do need to give your Shellac a good shake with each use to blend the monomer, polymer and solvent components. If you don't blend it well enough, you will use up too much solvent, and the remaining product will be thicker as a result. Hope this helps xx

This all certainly gives me something to work on. Thank you! As far as the shaking, I do the 'tapping' thing that Fingernail fixer does and that our lovely Geeg herself showed me. Tapping a few times on each side of the bottle. Maybe I need to up my 'tappage' a tad!! :)

I shall give the brush a wipe although it seemed perfect on the first application. I do think that my slow application has a lot to do with this.

Thank you again :) x

I think sometimes the product just congeals the bristle together.

At the part of your brush closes to the lid just press down on the rim of the bottle once you've wiped the shellac off your brush. This should separate the bristles perfectly xxx

Thank you!! I shall give this a try! x

If your brush starts off ok but only goes thicker/stiffer after several applications make sure you're not applying shellac within the range of your light. Turn your lamp on and then switch the lights off so your room is dark and you'll see where the light from your lamp is and where you shouldn't put your bottle/brush.

Makes perfect sense thank you but I do make sure that I leave the bottle behind the lamp. But I shall certainly try the lights out technique. Thank you! x

I bought the gold kit in October after my training at The Fingertips Cebtre and the majority of brushes were like this on opening for the first time. I cleaned the shellac off them and took my curette through the bristles to "open" them up and have had no issues since. Xxx

I bought the gold kit in October after my training at The Fingertips Cebtre and the majority of brushes were like this on opening for the first time. I cleaned the shellac off them and took my curette through the bristles to "open" them up and have had no issues since. Xxx

Lovely. Lots of fab suggestions here. I'm going to sit down tonight and check each of my bottles although I think it's only Masquerade and Red Baroness that I'm having a problem with. Fingers crossed, with all these brill suggestions I'll be able to fix them. Thank you all :) x

I've had this happen to a lot of my bottles too, I find them fine once I start using them though :)
I am however still having problems with leaky lids. I do every thing to prevent it from happening. I just don't want to waste any of the product. Any more tips?

I've had this happen to a lot of my bottles too, I find them fine once I start using them though :)
I am however still having problems with leaky lids. I do every thing to prevent it from happening. I just don't want to waste any of the product. Any more tips?

Ooh, I've never had a leaky lid. I'm afraid I can't help. As for the brush thing, my problem tends to occur after a couple of uses which is what makes me think it's my own fault somehow. Hope you get an answer to the leaky lid problem! x

Latest posts

Back