Burnt by wax or allergy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoe1303

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I've been having my eyebrows waxed every 3wks for as many years as I can remember. Recently (last 12mths) one of my eyebrows goes red and painful after waxing. It started because the therapists wax was too hot one time and she burnt me & ever since on repeat appointments, regardless of how warm/ hot the wax is, my eyebrow looks like this. It's so painful for 2/3 days - any cream or product burns it & as a result it then dries to a flake, to reveal perfectly healed skin underneath after about 1wk-10days. Until the next appointment where it all happens again.

Does anyone know how I can prevent this? Have I developed an allergy, is my skin here too sensitive, would a break from waxing help or is this the end for me & waxed eyebrows unless I want to suffer?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 498
Hi ladies,

I've been having my eyebrows waxed every 3wks for as many years as I can remember. Recently (last 12mths) one of my eyebrows goes red and painful after waxing. It started because the therapists wax was too hot one time and she burnt me & ever since on repeat appointments, regardless of how warm/ hot the wax is, my eyebrow looks like this. It's so painful for 2/3 days - any cream or product burns it & as a result it then dries to a flake, to reveal perfectly healed skin underneath after about 1wk-10days. Until the next appointment where it all happens again.

Does anyone know how I can prevent this? Have I developed an allergy, is my skin here too sensitive, would a break from waxing help or is this the end for me & waxed eyebrows unless I want to suffer?

Unfortunately it looks like your skin is too thin in that area causing grazing when waxed. There's a couple of things you can do;
Ask the therapist to apply a barrier in that area (small amount of oil/powder) before waxing so the wax isn't on the skin, just grabbing hairs.
Or she could just wax directly beneth the hair and leaving the rest to thread or tweeze.
For waxing or threading is ask for a barrier beforehand anyway x

If it was an allergy you would have it on both eyes, right?
This is too much skin coming off during waxing and yes a barrier of corn starch or a bit of oil is necessary to help protect the skin. I am worried that your therapist is not aware, have you brought this up with her? This is your very basic waxing training.
Threading and sugaring are excellent options. If the skin is stretched properly threading will not harm it. Sugaring paste is 100% natural product and puts less strain on the follicles leaving you with less irritation and no live skin cells are removed during the process.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

If it was an allergy you would have it on both eyes, right?
This is too much skin coming off during waxing and yes a barrier of corn starch or a bit of oil is necessary to help protect the skin. I am worried that your therapist is not aware, have you brought this up with her? This is your very basic waxing training.
Threading and sugaring are excellent options. If the skin is stretched properly threading will not harm it. Sugaring paste is 100% natural product and puts less strain on the follicles leaving you with less irritation and no live skin cells are removed during the process.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

No, I'm a terrible client. I've not mentioned it. I always forget until I get home and think, ooh my eyebrow hurts :s

I've had sugaring before and loved it, but my therapist doesn't offer it, and nor do any salons locally that I know of.

Intermittently it will be a little bit on the other eye, however I guess your right, would be like this everywhere I get waxed if it was an allergy. I didn't know about the talk or oils to stop it. I'll definitely ask my therapist next time :)

Thanks ladies :)

She is possibly a bit cack handed pulling a certain way or maybe putting the wax on so it goes on a bit thick on one eye.Definately tell her, you could show her the pic.
She does a nice set of brows so give her the chance to put things right.

I just react badly to waxing and whereas I can put up with the welts on my legs and bikini I couldn't on my face so turned to threading. Problem solved and I much prefer the finish.

I have exactly the same reaction to honey wax. I now wax my own eyebrows - I use creme or hot wax and I've never had a repeat of this. I did my own a month ago with honey wax and had the same reaction! Always red and sore as if couple of layers of skin has been ripped off.

Latest posts

Back