Business not going well?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden_beauty

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Is it just me or is anyone else finding it hard to get clients and then get people that keep coming back??

I don't do gel nails or anything like that so its difficult to get repeat business because they don't "need" to come back for infills etc but can anybody tell me what has helped them to get more custom?

I have had a 20% off link on my website and even though 20/30 people are visiting it a day nobody is clicking or booking......help?

Hi, your website looks nice...I liked the chat/help box that popped up. If it was my business, I would remove the 20% discount thing and replace it with something about being Exclusive ect....The more wanted something is the more people want it...discounts don't give the impression that you are busy or sought after.

Its like when something is too cheep, you automatically think "whats the catch, its no good or it wont last..ect"...but when something is more expensive we often think it must be better.

If you want some sort if incentive then offer a free gift instead of a discount...like a free cuticle oil or hand cream..

Also I find this is a funny time of year...kids off from school, mums busy, no childcare, it might pick up in September when the kids go back.

Hope this help

Have you thought about adding the product ranges you use to the description of the treatments ? For example your Facials, Manicures & Pedicures don't have any mention of a brand.

If I look at a salon website and it doesn't mention brands then I assume cheap 'wholesale' products are being used then I loose interest straight away.

With regards to the non returning clients do you find this applies to all treatments or say just waxing clients ? If so do you think it could be a problem with a certain treatment you offer ?

Heya, I completely understand, Ive been finding it impossible to get clients. Im in an unfortunate position where I cant afford to advertise so I chose the free advertising (yell.com etc) and all ive got is constant cold calling :irked:
Ive done some flyers/gift certificates that Im gonna post through doors but Im in a area where loads of people do nails and beauty so I just seem to be doomed :cry: Ive tried salon jobs and they all want experience (atleast a year) so I cant even try that route..
It seems to be very hard starting up now..

Bombini has hit the nail on the head with the lack of product info. Your prices would be fine for a decent brand facial, but dear for a cheap wholesaler brand.

Possibly your business identity needs a look at. I thought you were a holistic therapist only until I looked at your price list and saw waxing and mani's. If I was looking for a legwax and landed on your homepage, I possibly would have skipped. Could you make it clearer that you are a beauty therapist and not just offering relaxation therapy?

Thanks ladies. I will change that about the homepage and make sure I mention brands etc but my issue is that even though people have searched on google etc ( i have a clicktale account so i can see how many per day are coming to the website and from where) these people are still not booking ARRGGGH.....Soooooooooooooooo frustrating!

Have you sent emails or newsletters to existing clients on your database to remind them that you are there? Is there anything which you think you could improve on when meeting new clients such as thorough consultation and after-care advice, customer care, treatment techniques, the way you talk to people?

I find clients are fussier these days and I really go the extra way with information, consultations, extras such as hand and arm massages with an eyelash tint, mini head massage with pedicure foot mask etc.

Do you recommend other treatments to clients? If you find you are always recommending new treatments, keeping in contact with your existing client base and find you have exceeded your clients expectations then it could be a matter of the area you are in or the competition in your area.

I am busier than ever in my job and get most massage and facial clients to re-book every week- two weeks never mind waxing and nail clients,but again I live in a different area than yourself

From experience clients prefer to have a £5 gift voucher instead of just 20% off. To be honest, 20% wouldnt really be attractive to me.

You said you don't offer gel nails etc. How about investing in one of the new nail treatments - shellac, minx, something to keep clients interested.

Try doing something different, just to get client's attention.

When they come in for a spray tan etc, they could have their nails or toes done so you are like a one stop shop.

Eg: A client booked me this week because I was able to do her brazilian wax, biosculpture overlays and her spray tan.

Also, as said earlier, list your products and stress how fantastic they are.

Invest and you will get the rewards. Goodluck.X

Hi Guys

Is it just me or is anyone else finding it hard to get clients and then get people that keep coming back??

That's great that you have your website and a Facebook Page. BTW: please edit your FB Page and fill in the proper location address.

I'd like to suggest to use online booking on your website. That's why: some of your online visitors are reaching your site after working hours (late night or weekend). Obviously at that time they won't book with you over the phone. But if they'll see online booking feature - this could be completely different story!

For that purpose alone you can use online booking feature (it's free!). I'll "leak" some stats here: salons using Salonium software are receiving around 20% of all bookings via online booking. That's something you can't ignore...

Thanks ladies. I will change that about the homepage and make sure I mention brands etc but my issue is that even though people have searched on google etc ( i have a clicktale account so i can see how many per day are coming to the website and from where) these people are still not booking ARRGGGH.....Soooooooooooooooo frustrating!

This is my point a percentage of those clients may not be booking as there is no mention of brands. Once you have changed it you may see a difference.

Where are you advertising your website? Maybe you are advertising to the wrong market. I would put some more images on your site as well as branding as this is an effective and simple marketing strategy.

I also think you have too many special offers as it can make a business look desperate as well as confuse potential clients. If you created a monthly offer and put it on your home page for all people viewing your site it could avoid any missed opportunities. Opening hours on your website could also be beneficial.

Just like the misconceptions of beauty therapy there is also a lot more involved in business and marketing than people think, maybe you could devise a new business plan and reassess your marketing strategies and customer correspondence and dismiss any schemes that are not working for your business.

I have had a 20% off link on my website and even though 20/30 people are visiting it a day nobody is clicking or booking......help?

There is one thing that I can't get from your website quickly which may be detracting your website visitors from getting in touch. Where are you?

I can see it in the body content of your home page but it gets lost and from a user point of view, when someone lands on a website they are looking for clues as to where they are and they want them very quickly... ie. what do you do and where are you? Research used to say that you have 3 seconds or they are off and it's probably even quicker now.

If you made your location clearer, it will have an impact on visitors / enquiries as it gives over the pertinent information quickly. It's not very sexy in terms of a strapline but "Welcome to Eden Health & Beauty, a beauty Salon in Hillingdon" will have the desired effect as your intro line (and make it bold and slightly bigger).

Through keyword work I have done on a number of small business websites, if location is important to what they are looking for, it will be in their search phrase. Most of our salon website traffic comes from search engines and people looking for "beauty salons basingstoke" or "beauty salons farnborough" (note the plural).

So, for instance, if you also add your full address to the footer of every page on your website, you should get more traffic from people looking for what you have to offer. If you also make the town your salon is in clear on your site so it's one of the first things a visitor sees, they will know they are at the right place and will be more likely to contact you.

Hope this helps.

Ok first off I havent looked at your web site yet,
but I wanted to share something that has really stuck with me that I read in scratch a while back , about attracting clients ect .
basicly you need to advertise a season infront , start now with a winter warming price list , think up your offers, treatments ect
how luxurius they are in the winter ? (build a pictuer for the clients mind)
shimmering , / warming /soothing/moistuerizing,sented ,relaxing ect .....

then in a few weeks (september) start advertising them , put a page on your site , printed info sheet to each client and an e mail to the others,
set a ticking clock ..... (your now taking bookings for....... october or what ever )

they may not book straght away but if you build the idea they will rember you :)

special offers and loyalty cards are the way to go. we do them every month decent ones like free back massage with every facial , which realy only takes an extra 15 mins but u still get the full ammount from them. we do a loyalty card for eyebrow trims and often they might get a tint done as well at the same time. it keeps them coming back.
Clients are all shopping around for the best deal in salons so see what your competition has and try to better it .

Latest posts

Back