Business rates on a home salon? Health and Safety inspecton?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajshard

Reaction score
I have a home salon and also work mobile, i contacted the council last week as i hadnt done this before and they confirmed that i dont need planning permission...phew.... They havent mentioned business rates tho? is this because it's part of my house and not used solely for business purposes :wink2: im sure i read someone before that rates are not payable in these circumstances but would love to hear from anyone in the same boat to put my mind at rest.

They did say i needed to contact Health and Safety to have my room inspected, does anyone know what this will entail? are there any measures i should put into place before they inspect? I use my room for nails and spray tanning at the moment and soon waxing and tinting.

Thanks in advance
AJ x

I heard that if you use your room solely for business then rates are payable but if you use it for your home too then it is not. They then went on to say that you should just store your vaccuum and iron etc in it when not using it!! As it happens my room is opposite my front door and is self contained with a loo so out of work hours we do use the loo and the room occasionally stores a skate board or two at meal times before a big clean up campaign goes on before clients come in for botox or something else ha ha.

Health and safety a must yes as you have clients in so it needs to be inspected.

Different councils are different. And from my experience I had to ring a couple of different departments. Didn't have to pay business rates as it's from my home. As for the health and safety mine was only because of electrolysis and it was only to check how your disposing of the needles and making sure if was all clean and that eqiupment has beeen pat tested but because it was all new, just adviced that every year it needs to be checked.

You could for peace of mind ring about busniess rates.

Good luck

Kerryx

Kezza, would it be the planning that you would need to speak to re. business rates or a different dept?? I am hoping to have a log cabin salon this summer but haven't phoned the council yet for this. Thanks x

You need to speak to the valuations office at your local council re: rates.

x

Thanks for that info Sharkster. I wouldn't have considered that dept lol! x

You're welcome!

x

Latest posts

Back