Buying too much stock in advance?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzyBee12

Reaction score
I trained recently and do want to work from home on a part time basis offering shellac but not for around another 10 week. I am aiming to have around 30ish colours by then, perhaps more as I feel I want to offer a good choice. However, I can't help thinking I should be waiting until I have clients and making some money as some of the colours will just end useless.

You can mix colours so buy yourself some darker shades, a white, mixing pots and clear colour pops and you can mix up the full shade range for minimum money x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't mind spending the money, I just wondered if it is a waste so far in advance. X

I'd say it would be because gels have a best before date x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

You could buy say, 10-15 shades of popular colours, more spring/Summer colours but a few darks also, then ask your clients what sorts of colours they prefer, or If there was something they'd like next time that you may not have in at the moment and build it up that way.

I might just buy about 5 more and some i-lac colours I like and see. Just fancied a fair few for myself anyway!

I've just bought the ink lamp it's fab! I'm using Gellux mainly but I'm going to get some of the ilac colour as they look gorgeous!

I was looking at the lamp too, but then I should probably get started with shellac first and see how I go rather than investing in everything I want!

You can't mix Shellac colours because the ratio to pigments & polymers/oligomers & solvents is different for each colour. There are a few threads with Shellac bestsellers so check those :)

I have a whole list of colours but I just don't know if it is too many haha

Oh gosh, I am so horrible with this. I always buy more than I need as soon as I have a little bit extra cash flow. It's so weird but I do it. What I try to do is to keep stock up on the most popular colors. For here, that's either pastel/subdued spring colors or bright neons. My clients aren't into the bright neons so I've got a lot of pastel and regular colors I can blend together (usually on the nail, not mixed together physically).

Just wanted to say I can commiserate with you.

Oh gosh, I am so horrible with this. I always buy more than I need as soon as I have a little bit extra cash flow. It's so weird but I do it. What I try to do is to keep stock up on the most popular colors. For here, that's either pastel/subdued spring colors or bright neons. My clients aren't into the bright neons so I've got a lot of pastel and regular colors I can blend together (usually on the nail, not mixed together physically).

Just wanted to say I can commiserate with you.

At least you're actually using them. Haha. I have no clients!

Aww.. your time will come. In the mean time, do what I did, buy a tin of fake nails and make art! :D

I'm practicing lots. I want to be able to offer a good range of colours though which is the reason I keep buying. But then they will probably end up unused.

I'm just starting up too, I have 4 colours at the mo! My plan is to get a small range and build up slowly, but in the mean time offer a bit more by using stamps and additives so it's a bit more exciting that 4 basic colours.. That's my hope anyway. I've a list as long as my arm of ones I want to buy 😊

I worry I've already spent far too much tbh and there's more I want.

Don't worry - not long after i completed my shellac beginners course I had 42 colours ( by not long I mean three months afterwards) with only 10 regular clients 😂😂 and a mix of 40 different additives and glitters. I think I only have 4 or 5 colours that haven't been used yet. I just love the fact that clients are always quite awed by the selection because of how many combos of colours and glitters or additives u can make and they don't get bored. I have one client who works with a lady who gets her shellac done Somewhere else and the lady is always telling my client she loves the variety I have becAuse where she goes they only have a few colours and it's quite boring! My husband does get a bit cross with me when I buy stuff. So I totally understand where u r coming from. But I know that I prob should have done things a bit slower 😂😂. I think we need a support group 😂😂

That makes me feel better. I haven't got the confidence to advertise yet, but I want to give ppl a good choice so that they come back! Just told hubby I was worried I was spending too much and he told me to stop worrying. Thing is I want a few I lac colours but feel I should just be concentrating on shellac.

Buy a selection of both!

I started out with a pack from IBD which came with 5 colours, base and top coat. Then I bought one extra that day.
Yesterday I ordered 7 more online... I have a selection of classics like a pink, red, burgundy and french white & pink. Then a couple of brights, a couple of neutrals and a funky turquoise.
I think from here, I'll go client by client. So every client who gets a gel polish, I'll get them to show me the types of colours they love, and I'll order a couple each time they come, so next time they will know I'll have those to choose from too!

Ive found my client base to be a slighty more mature crowd who like certain types of colours. I now know which ones will be popular when new colours are released. There's a difference between what 'I' want to get and what will make good business sense based on my clientelle. I have to put my business head on lol. Obviously you need the basic range of reds, white & pink for french and a coral, darker shades but wait before you buy too many :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back