Calgel (calbrook cosmetics)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailtech17

Reaction score
what does anyone think to calgel gel system? because i think its rubbish. i prep the nail just like it says and cure the gel in the right time and it still peelsoff or is not strong at all, when applied with tips. my tutor at coll sid that the gel is just the same as bio sculpture but packaged in a different name.... clare:o

I think youare right about it being the same as Bio, and quite a few geeks use it on here with success. Are you sure you are prepping the nail properly? Also how old are the bulbs in your uv lamp? They should be changed about every 6-12 months (dependent on useage) because they become less effective the older they are and cause under cure which would show itself as the peeling you are getting.

nailtech17 said:
what does anyone think to calgel gel system? because i think its rubbish. i prep the nail just like it says and cure the gel in the right time and it still peelsoff or is not strong at all, when applied with tips. my tutor at coll sid that the gel is just the same as bio sculpture but packaged in a different name.... clare:o

hi clare,

I dont use calgel BUT i do use BIO SCULPTURE i think the formulation is very similar but NOT THE Same.

How do you mean it just 'peels off'? is it helped by your clients picking?

whats your prep? do you remove the shine from the nail plate?

are you applying it too thick? or too thin?

are you using the CALGEL lamp?

Do you sanitise between layers?

Bio do a first layer of EXECUTIVE BASE ...like a clear polish i NEVER USE this as it makes it lift do calgel recommend a similar thing

I know ive given up on bio over tips, sculpting with it is ok but you are talking a flexible gel ie bendy....so dont expect it to feel like l+p or file off gels.

I have a very loyal client base with my biosculpture...but tend to use it for natural nails only and to be honest i am pretty much switching anyone who has french over to AKZENTZ as that is fantastic and cheaper

hth.

amb x

yeah im prepping the nail correctly, everytime. i have absolutly no problems with acrylic its just this gel, i remove the shine and remove excessive cuticle but it can just peel off in a whole. my tutor told me you can get a flexible gels that are like rubber and you can get gels that set rock hard. im going to change my gel because i dont have much faith init, what would you lot say was the best system ??????? :Grope:

nailtech17 said:
yeah im prepping the nail correctly, everytime. i have absolutly no problems with acrylic its just this gel, i remove the shine and remove excessive cuticle but it can just peel off in a whole. my tutor told me you can get a flexible gels that are like rubber and you can get gels that set rock hard. im going to change my gel because i dont have much faith init, what would you lot say was the best system ??????? :Grope:

calgel is going to be your gel for natural nails and toes...lots of colours and soaks off nicely when they change their minds.

Anyone who books a manicure /polish finish...once you tell them about this they normally opt for it....non chip..lasts longer etc etc

Over tips? stick with your l+p if u get no probs or try brisa gel, or ibd one of the FILE OFF gels this is where the strenght is.......hmmmm its only took me 18 months to work all this out!!

I would ring calbrook and ask about the peeling......it shouldnt be doing that and the only time i've had peeling was when i sanitized in between layers....or havent prepped properly or the client picked it or ......i have one lady that it just doesnt suit.................its an expensive product and you want to get to the bottom of why your not getting on with it.

Finally DONT expect it to be ANYTING like l+p its a whole different ball game.....some say flexible some say rubbery, some love it and wont use anything else.....some HATE IT

Good Luck !

forgot to put this in the post above..................yeah im using the lamp we got with the kit. ive onlyhad the lamp 15 weeks and it had new bulbs in it too. in the calgel book it says to not santitize between layers only after the last coat and wen cured because you have to leave the sticky layer on between each layer for better contact.thanxfor your replys clare x

It depends what you want from a gel. Do you want strength, ease of application, clarity of product, durability, flexibility and value for money? Then you can't go wrong with Creative's Brisa.

If you were expecting the strength from the calgel then I think you went for the wrong product, but it is very good for natural nail overlays from what I understand, so don;t bin it, just use it for the type of client that needs it.

well the calgel came in with my kit from college, so i had no choice. i think your right calgel is better for overlays and not extentions. cheers anyway. so which one ibd or creative, i no creative have a good reputation but i havent heard much about IBD??????????

nailtech17 said:
well the calgel came in with my kit from college, so i had no choice. i think your right calgel is better for overlays and not extentions. cheers anyway. so which one ibd or creative, i no creative have a good reputation but i havent heard much about IBD??????????

both good ! i have worked with both! i suppose you could trial either one of them and take it from there,

amb x

or why not put out a plea to a fellow geek to see if you could have a set of brisa or ibd on and take it from there?

amb x

nailtech17 said:

Not only you have a problem with it. I use calgel before on my clients and they just peel off. Its hard to master this gel as it is a soft gel. Maybe you just need more practice just like me but I cant be bother. I sold my calgel through ebay. I still have the lamp which I could use that in other gel. I dont have problem on doing calgel myself but everytime I do my clients nails they just peel off. Dont bin it, people will buy it in ebay believe me you will sell that quickly. I heard Akzentz gel is really good, I would like to try that gel but Im in Melbourne, we dont have that gel yet, maybe I'll wait. Hope you will find a gel that works for you. Good luck.

oh im glad someone else as the sme problem. how much did the gel sell for and which gell was it cos im going to put my on. cheers clare x ill research on that other gel because im willing to try anything. x:p

Hi i am a creative and calgel tech.
The secret is to make sure you wrap the gel over the nail free edge. When you sanitise use a cotton pad or tissue and rub over nail to really clean it. Make sure your clients are using gloves when washing up or using cleaning product as this may make them peel, even oil from foods may impair product. i dont use a calgel lamp just make sure you cure for long enough and dont touch between layers. I never use with tips as it is not strong enough. My clients with naturally strong nails can go 5-6 weeks with no problems. Clients with weaker nails go 3 weeks. Hope this helps.

Im not a nail tech but my daughter is and she uses it. I have it put over my natural nails and have no poblems at all with lift and im a hairdresser and my hands are in water all the time. I think it has been brill for my nails...it doesnt stain with hair dye, i can polish over the top and that stays on brill. I know when i was in the salon having them done that she said the gel has to be stirred very well before using because it separates. hth.

I never use calgel for extensions, I don't find them strong enough. But love it for NNO some of mine used to peel but it was due t me not capping properly and doing dishes and cleaning without gloves lol xx

I use Bio loads for tips, very very rarely do clients return with any off, I think as long as you build the apex in the right place use enough gel making sure its nice and thin at the cuticle and free edge you shouldnt have a problem (IMO !!!)? I used to use Calgel same as the above so long as the nail enhancement is built correctly I didnt have a prob, I changed to Bio which I love because of Calgel yellowing and I hated it being sooo sticky !

Latest posts

Back