Calgel nail system - sounds too good to be true.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorr244

Reaction score
Hi does anyone use this system please? I saw it on one of the threads and thought I'd look it up.

Am I right in thinking that -

1) It can be used as a gel to build up over tips
2) if so can I just use one of their colour gels and therefore won't need coloured varnish?
3) If it can be used as a natural overlay - again you wouldnt use polish as it is a coloured gel?

It just seems a much quicker sytem to use without having to purchase polishes...........or have i got this totally wrong! lol.

All help gratefully received. Many thanks x

Hi there. I have trained with calgel. I have found it to be strong enough as an extension. Using the clear gel though. The colour gel on its own isn't. There are various people around me that also use it, using slightly different techniques to me. Their colour gels as an overlay are good but I have felt that I have needed to put a thin layer of clear gel over the top to preserve the intensity of the colour and shine. I found when I got rid of the sticky layer it went dull and looked almost washed out. (it's worth noting I have seen other salons work and they have also looked like that.) the clear keeps them super glossy. Also it's held up really well recently to a client who swims everyday. Only one downside I think is their clear gel still yellows with general uv exposure. You could never wear it on its own, which is a shame. Hth Wendy :0)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Calgel gels are coloured, but to be honest Bio Sculpture (which I use) is the Inventor of Soak Off Gels & have far more colours (140+) available than Calgel. (Think they started off out as the same company but went their seperate ways in the early days)...

Bio Sculpture does go on either the natural nail or over Tips. It comes in a range of other gels varying from flexible to non flexible depending on the clients nails needs .....
Theres some good deals on training by the looks of the information on Bio's home page too ....

Biosculpture Gel

Thanks Wendy woo. So are you saying that I can use the coloured gel as an overlay without polish - directly onto the nail and then put a thin layers of clear gel ontop?

But - not to use clear gel as a natural unploished gel as it goes yellow? They calim that it can be used as a clear gel to strengthen the nails? (but I dont want it yellowing .............ty

TY Sleeping Beauty..............I'm surprsied more people dont use these systems as it must cut out a lot of time if you dont have to polish and you just put the gel on? Do you then buff the gel to get rid of any 'bumps' - I'm new to this lol and then just add a clear gel ontop for shine?

Wow! just seems so much simpler....

I use Calgel and love it :)
When I did my training with Calgel I have always been taught 2coats of colour and 1coat of clear.
Your clear can go yellow if you either leave it in the lamp for longer than the 30secs guidance time or you dont give client correct aftercare about taking topcoat off and applying again but that is why thy have the calcrystal top coat to help preserve the colour . I love working with Calgel I love that you can build with the clear gel and there customer service is exceptional x

Thanks Wendy woo. So are you saying that I can use the coloured gel as an overlay without polish - directly onto the nail and then put a thin layers of clear gel ontop?

But - not to use clear gel as a natural unploished gel as it goes yellow? They calim that it can be used as a clear gel to strengthen the nails? (but I dont want it yellowing .............ty

Yep. You can put the colour gel on without putting a polish on. You just need a layer of clear over the top. (or at least thats my preference. Although the polishes are good if the client wants to increase the length of time between fills.
Regards the clear, they do have a uv topcoat to protect the gel from yellowing..... But haven't found it particularly successful. I don't push anyone to have tips with clear gel at the moment. Past experience in other brands such as LCN and CNDs Brisa don't yellow. But they are buff off systems. My extension work is mainly acrylic tbh. Hope that's all clear and I'm not rambling too much. ;0)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back