Calgel starting to lift!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showson

Reaction score
Hi geeks

Just after a little advice i have been doing calgel nails for around a year and have had no probs with lifting until recently and i dont know why, i have not changed my application in anyway, my lamp is around 4 months old so think the bulbs are ok (it is suppose to bleep to let me know when it needs new ones) and all of a sudden gel clients are saying that there gel is lifting or falling off and it is driving me mad, they are on for a round a week to ten days before they say there is any signs of this, so any advice would be welcome as it is driving me mad :-~(

Have THEY been doing anything differently? Using oils / creams?
Perhaps with the hot weather they have been applying sun lotion? I always advise my clients to use calgels own hand cream or cuticle oil and/or to avoid rubbing different creams etc into the nails. ESPECIALLY on holidays etc as they use suntan cream.
It is pourous and so heavy creams and oils will cause lifting.... I'd try asking them. You may find it is as simple as that xx

Have THEY been doing anything differently? Using oils / creams?
Perhaps with the hot weather they have been applying sun lotion? I always advise my clients to use calgels own hand cream or cuticle oil and/or to avoid rubbing different creams etc into the nails. ESPECIALLY on holidays etc as they use suntan cream.
It is pourous and so heavy creams and oils will cause lifting.... I'd try asking them. You may find it is as simple as that xx

I agree.Also maybe some of your gels are now older and thicker than when they are new so application is thicker and the gel isnt curing well enough to adhere properly. This can be the case with the white on the free edge.With a new pot you can often cover in one and its ok but an older thicker pot is best done in two.
Clients sometimes just get complacent if they have been wearing there nails for a while without problems they start to not wear gloves etc.
Do check your lamp is curing you never know you may have a faulty bulb in there.I think this seems like it could be the main problem they last about 6 months but then that depends on use.
Also check the position of your clients hands when in the light some chat away and dont place them far enough in.
If this is happening to clients after reapplication after soak off you may want to get them to wash their hands after soak off to remove acetone.
If you still have problems ring Calgel nothing more helpful than that as they would know a solution to every possible problem.

i would look into the sun tan lotion they are using...they can do alot of damage to enhancements, i had a client a couple of years ago, always had perfect acrylics from appointment to appointment...one appointment she came to me with all o the right hand enhancements hanging off her nails...she deduced herself it was the sun block, as she had 2 young boys who she couldnt keep in doors when the sun came out, she was holding onto them with her left hand to keep them still, and applying sun block with her right hand...hence one perfect hand of nails!

especially for a soak off gel, they are a porous product, we have had a few days of sun over the last 2 few weeks, so that would be my first guess...ask her to try an oil such as P20, i worked for me, only downside is it stains the surface of the nails yellow after a few days, (not to mention the new white sarong you bought specially for the beach!!) then you have to buff and re-shine or replace your top coat.

If all of your gel clients are having trouble, look at the bulbs. I have to replace mine more often than the recommended 6 months or I start having issues.

how often do you replace them, i have used my lamp quite alot over the last months as well as doing lots of gel i also use for gel top coats on acrylic X

how often do you replace them, i have used my lamp quite alot over the last months as well as doing lots of gel i also use for gel top coats on acrylic X

I replace mine about every 5 to 6 before i get problems.The first time i ever replaced them i let them go and go but then you end up with having to do repairs so you are not saving any money by stretching it out.
You can test them by putting gel on a form curing,peeling off and seeing if it is still tacky underneath or has left any colour behind.You will also be able to tell if your soak offs are coming off quicker than normal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back