Calling all Nail Art Technicians

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahmorg1

Reaction score
I'm after a bit of advise.

I have been told that I have a flare for doing nail art. I currently use striper pens when I do line work, but when painting pictures I use acrylic paint on top of a varnish, then seal with OPI top coat.

The problem I have is that after a day or too the top coat starts to crack over the paint.

Can you recommend anything else to use for painting????

Thanks

i do the same thing - i use acrylic paints (like the ones u get with painting by numbers) over an OPI varnish and then seal with RapiDry top coat but i don't get any cracking.

how old are your paints? maybe u need new ones. or maybe you're applying it too thick?

hth xxx

I use striper pens for all my art work, even when doing pictures, then seal it with a top coat

I also use OPI varnishes and OPI Top Coat, is Rapid Dry better than their normal one. The paints are only about 4 months old.

Could it be that I have used too much paint on my design????

Do you leave it a certain period of time before you apply the top coat?

i've only ever used RapiDry top coat of theirs, but to be honest when i used to do nail art on myself before i qualified i never had that problem - just used a Spangles nail art sealer or Seche Vite top coat.

I wait until the paint looks really matt, otherwise it smudges when u put topcoat on.

hth xxx

do you water your paints down a bit??
god i wish i had a flair for nail art , i hate it!!! lmao

Use CND Air Dry- bit thicker, very shiny, lasts for quite a while. :)

I have used many top coats over my paint and have never had a problem with cracking. Sorry I know that doesnt help some of my paints I hae had for years and still dont have problems. try thining the paint wait till dry top coat and see if that works.

When thinning paints its better to use an acrylic thinner and not water. Water can make it too light and thinner is made to keep the vibrance just thin the paint kinda like polish you want to thin it with thinner not remover or acetone

i thought if they were water based paints, you should thin them with water,
if oil based to thin them with , ,,well, oil stuff lol

i thought if they were water based paints, you should thin them with water,
if oil based to thin them with , ,,well, oil stuff lol

i've always thinned mine with water (coz they're water based) and never had a problem. you just have to make sure you drop it in gradually and mix it well before you apply it to the nail

Thank you for the advise, I will try to water the paint down slightly and I have bought CND Air Dry to see if that helps.

Latest posts

Back