Callus Peel gone horribly wrong - reaction and pictures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hctinks

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have previously done a callus Peel on my lady before and all has been fine.

This morning I continued with the same routine:

Spritz with anti bac spray
Apply pads, cover with cling film
Tidy cuticles & file nails
Then scrape majority of skin away, buff down the moisturise w/ specific cream
Cuticle oil & foot moisturiser all over

She has now sent me pictures saying that they're sore, blistering and really itchy?!?!!! She says one is worse than the other??

What have I done wrong?!

Please help me, this is my first complaint since working for myself, stressing out to say the least!!

Thank you all x

Attachments

• IMG_7258.JPG
    IMG_7258.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_7257.JPG
    IMG_7257.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 210
First of all...... BREATHE! Look I don't do callus peel, but Honestly I was expecting a rather horrific reaction with the title of your thread. Let's put this in perspective & try & put your mind at rest somewhat! it's not gone "horribly wrong" by the looks of it, she may of had a slight allergic reaction. it's not anything you as a therapist, could or should of done differently. If you've followed the correct procedure & she had one before with no issues then it's probably just one of those things. This can happen at any point to anyone with any product, for example my client, whose eyebrows I've been tinting for years, had a rather spotty red reaction to the tint that she has never had before!
I would reassure the client that you didn't do anything differently, but did she? Is there certain aftercare she should follow e.g. Staying out of the sun? If it's itchy maybe her taking an antihistamine tablet or cream may help! Also I think blistering is a slight exaggeration on her part, they don't look like they've blistered to me! Don't panic, there is nothing to panic about! It'll be fine! X

I'm used to using callus peel including myself & hubby right from when it first came out years ago.
The fact that this lady has had callus peel before without problems indicates that something has changed with her e.g. new medication.
With the weather today I doubt it will be anything to do with sunbathing however I would ask her if she has been swimming or used a sunbed after her treatment.
Another thought (as the rash seems to be on top of her foot where I doubt you put the patch) was - what shoes did she wear home - could they have rubbed?
If the client takes an antihistamine tablet like Piriteze and applies a soothing gel e.g. aloe vera, lavender or insect bite cream I'm sure it will look a lot better in the morning. If it gets worse then send her to the GP to cover yourself.
The only thing I can think of as a possible cause from the treatment, is if not all the product was off the skin before applying the lotion, but you sound experienced with the process so doubtful...

hope that puts your mind at rest,

First of all...... BREATHE! Look I don't do callus peel, but Honestly I was expecting a rather horrific reaction with the title of your thread. Let's put this in perspective & try & put your mind at rest somewhat! it's not gone "horribly wrong" by the looks of it, she may of had a slight allergic reaction. it's not anything you as a therapist, could or should of done differently. If you've followed the correct procedure & she had one before with no issues then it's probably just one of those things. This can happen at any point to anyone with any product, for example my client, whose eyebrows I've been tinting for years, had a rather spotty red reaction to the tint that she has never had before!
I would reassure the client that you didn't do anything differently, but did she? Is there certain aftercare she should follow e.g. Staying out of the sun? If it's itchy maybe her taking an antihistamine tablet or cream may help! Also I think blistering is a slight exaggeration on her part, they don't look like they've blistered to me! Don't panic, there is nothing to panic about! It'll be fine! X

Aha, breathe yes I need reminding! I've only ever worked in a salon before so never had it all on my own head, very scary!

She did wear flip flops home so I do wonder if anything brushed against her, plus the skin is fairly new so could be extra sensitive.
I just don't know how to approach it now without trying to put the 'blame' onto her.

Has your client that reacted returned since? As that's of course another worry.

I did think it was a bit over the top on the description too but I'm glad you've also said that so it's not just me!

Thank you.x

I'm used to using callus peel including myself & hubby right from when it first came out years ago.
The fact that this lady has had callus peel before without problems indicates that something has changed with her e.g. new medication.
With the weather today I doubt it will be anything to do with sunbathing however I would ask her if she has been swimming or used a sunbed after her treatment.
Another thought (as the rash seems to be on top of her foot where I doubt you put the patch) was - what shoes did she wear home - could they have rubbed?
If the client takes an antihistamine tablet like Piriteze and applies a soothing gel e.g. aloe vera, lavender or insect bite cream I'm sure it will look a lot better in the morning. If it gets worse then send her to the GP to cover yourself.
The only thing I can think of as a possible cause from the treatment, is if not all the product was off the skin before applying the lotion, but you sound experienced with the process so doubtful...

hope that puts your mind at rest,

Hello!

Could new medication be the only factor? It was flip flops she wore back so I am wondering if she came into contact with anything that didn't agree with her.

I did rub the product away before buffing but only with a paper pad, this has seemed to work before? Maybe need to wipe with something damp???

Thank you for your help xo

Also, should I be offering a refund?? Or free treatment next time?? Or, even anything at all? xx

Hello!

Could new medication be the only factor? It was flip flops she wore back so I am wondering if she came into contact with anything that didn't agree with her.

I did rub the product away before buffing but only with a paper pad, this has seemed to work before? Maybe need to wipe with something damp???

Thank you for your help xo

Yes, if she wore flip flops home then it could be that she walked through grass or plants which then gave the rash - it does look very like the sort of rash that comes up if you touch a plant or pollen that you are sensitive to. In which case it will probably be gone by tomorrow!

Yes, try something damp to wipe the skin over before the lotion goes on - something like a calming toner on cotton wool or maybe a soft sponge with diluted pedi soak.
Most times I do a callus peel they are having a pedicure anyway, so i do have the pedicure water to dip into with a small sponge.

Also, should I be offering a refund?? Or free treatment next time?? Or, even anything at all? xx

No, i don't think you need to even mention a refund or freebie here. Just record it on her record card with the advice you have given.

I wouldn't refund, it looks like admitting you did something wrong.

You didn't.

Aha, breathe yes I need reminding! I've only ever worked in a salon before so never had it all on my own head, very scary!

She did wear flip flops home so I do wonder if anything brushed against her, plus the skin is fairly new so could be extra sensitive.
I just don't know how to approach it now without trying to put the 'blame' onto her.

Has your client that reacted returned since? As that's of course another worry.

I did think it was a bit over the top on the description too but I'm glad you've also said that so it's not just me!

Thank you.x

Yes she has returned for other treatments, but I think her time with tinting is unfortunately up! Have you responded to your client? has she contacted you again?

Hi all, thank you so much again for your help yesterday.
My client has said that her feet are much better now, and not blistering but drying out.
She has said that she probably won't return until she knows exactly what had caused it, which is a shame.

Sad thing is, another lady who comes in for her callus Peel has cancelled on me today. Usually wouldn't be a problem, however they're mutual friends! *sigh*
She did say that her son was ill, but I think it's clear what has happened. Very disheartening for the other lady to have influenced, so that's now two clients lost. :-(

Hi all, thank you so much again for your help yesterday.
My client has said that her feet are much better now, and not blistering but drying out.
She has said that she probably won't return until she knows exactly what had caused it, which is a shame.

Sad thing is, another lady who comes in for her callus Peel has cancelled on me today. Usually wouldn't be a problem, however they're mutual friends! *sigh*
She did say that her son was ill, but I think it's clear what has happened. Very disheartening for the other lady to have influenced, so that's now two clients lost. :-(

That's a shame. Perhaps tempt them back with a half price normal pedicure in a few weeks?

Latest posts

Back