Can anyone explain weird markings after a spray tan I did?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanforeverbrown

Reaction score
I sprayed this client yesterday and after finishing could see that there were strange markings at the backs of her knees. She had exfoliated fully beforehand and had no body lotion on. I tried to buff it as I thought maybe it was excess tanning solution, but it wasn't and by buffing it made no difference.

I then tried to spray a bit more to even it out, but that didn't work either. Attached is the pic she just sent me, having showered.

Can anyone explain please how these dark patches happened behind both her knees and also a bit at the top of her thigh? Ignore the shadows that make the tan look patchy (it wasn't!) I'm referring to the strange dark brown almost stripes at the back of her knees and top of her thigh.

Thanks

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1ee0.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1ee0.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 114
Sweat crease!:p

I don't think so because she wasn't sweating when she was here and it appeared straight away, I noticed it as soon as I'd finished

Does your client have Psoriasis, Eczema or dermatitis?

Does your client have Psoriasis, Eczema or dermatitis?
no she doesn't have any of those things and I've sprayed her before and it was fine last time!

That honestly looks like dry skin to me. Those dark skin patches look like really dry skin and solution has stuck to them. The only time I've seen that happen is on myself where i have a patch of eczema and the tan literally looks brown from it. Have you asked her does she have a dry skin condition because I only have eczema on my stomach it doesn't have to be every part of the body.

Those areas were 'wet', she then bent her leg, and the solution 'gathered'. IMO :cool:

Those areas were 'wet', she then bent her leg, and the solution 'gathered'. IMO :cool:
Ahh you know what i think that's what happened as she had wrinkles around the front of her knees so I got her to bend forward slightly when facing me, for me to spray over the white creases in the wrinkles, and I had already done her back so the tan in the back of her knees must have then folded together and kind of doubled over!!!!! You're right!!!! Same with the crease in her bum, she bent forward for me to spray the white line and that's what happened there too!

What solution do you use?

I use Sienna X - this was 10%

I'm not mad about Sienna have you used other tans?

No but I have a sample of Moroccan tan that I'm trying out on myself tomorrow!

What one is it? You'll love it!

They sent me the 2 hour one

Ahh you know what i think that's what happened as she had wrinkles around the front of her knees so I got her to bend forward slightly when facing me, for me to spray over the white creases in the wrinkles, and I had already done her back so the tan in the back of her knees must have then folded together and kind of doubled over!!!!! You're right!!!! Same with the crease in her bum, she bent forward for me to spray the white line and that's what happened there too!

I've always found that any solution gathering in creases etc (and I get it myself around my neck and where I bend my arms) rinses off with the guide colour and completely evens out, so it's interesting that the client says she still has these marks after showering?

The only time I've personally experienced dark patches like these that didn't rinse off was after using an antibacterial facial wash over one side of my face (yes, weird thing to do I know, but I'd had a break out around the jawline on one side!). The tan just clung to that one area and looked awful for the duration of the tan because the facial wash had dried the skin out on that part of my face/neck. Is it possible she'd used some sort of cream, even a few days before having her tan that had either dried her skin or created a barrier? Just a thought anyway.

I've always found that any solution gathering in creases etc (and I get it myself around my neck and where I bend my arms) rinses off with the guide colour and completely evens out, so it's interesting that the client says she still has these marks after showering?

The only time I've personally experienced dark patches like these that didn't rinse off was after using an antibacterial facial wash over one side of my face (yes, weird thing to do I know, but I'd had a break out around the jawline on one side!). The tan just clung to that one area and looked awful for the duration of the tan because the facial wash had dried the skin out on that part of my face/neck. Is it possible she'd used some sort of cream, even a few days before having her tan that had either dried her skin or created a barrier? Just a thought anyway.
thanks but I don't think so, she said she'd been using an in shower moisturising shower cream but hadn't done for a few days before her tan

Moisturising shower creams are notorious for creating a barrier on the skin as are body scrubs and razors. Check out my thread on Trouble shooting.

H
thanks but I don't think so, she said she'd been using an in shower moisturising shower cream but hadn't done for a few days before her tan

Hopefully it'll just be a one off whatever caused it.

Thanks everyone, I'm convinced it's from when she bent forward slightly for me to spray around the creases in her knees, causing the back of her knees to 'fold' so the tan I had sprayed there doubled up and created marks, same as when she bent forward so I could get the tan into the creases under her bottom. Any top tips to deal with 'under bum white lines' and 'wrinkled knees' would be appreciated

I honestly don't think it's from sweat. It looks like dry skin. It happens on me around my armpits if I spray too much and they are dry. If she bent forward how would it crease...If she bent her legs back?

Latest posts

Back