Can anyone recommend a good study book?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailcandybeki

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am new to Salon Geek but I have been sat here for the past 2 hours and have read a lot of posts that all have a lot of really interesting and helpful info on! Looks like I have found my holy grail for all things nails! However, I have seen a lot of you mention books and I am looking at buying a couple to keep my knowledge sharp! i was just wondering if any of you could recommend any good ones??

Thank you!! :)

The book you need is Nailclass by Gigi Rouse she is the guru of all things nails and our very own Geeg on this site! Always available to give us helpful tips and advise and basically a walking encyclopaedia of all things nails

Doug Schoon is a must have...Nail Structure and Product Chemistry.

For the most authoritive and complete book for study purposes, there really is none better than edition 2 of Marian Newman's book 'The Complete Nail TEchnician'.

My book covers the 'hands on' aspect of doing beautiful nails that last, and is about technique. Quite different. And Dougs book covers the chemistry .. made easy!! lol They all compliment each other very well.

Thank you to Wellyb for the nice words. x:hug:

Do the books (other than Doug's) talk more about nail enhancements? I only do natural nails and desperately need help with cuticle work and polish application (having just done a one hour 45 minute shellac which had gaps that would rival the San Andreas fault!!). Thank you in advance! x

There's a fab Precision Polishing tutorial on here, not sure how to link to it. Also searching forum with keywords brings up threads which I always have a read through and pick up tips. Geegs, An*Gel and a couple of others posts are always ones I search out as well!

Do the books (other than Doug's) talk more about nail enhancements? I only do natural nails and desperately need help with cuticle work and polish application (having just done a one hour 45 minute shellac which had gaps that would rival the San Andreas fault!!). Thank you in advance! x

I would say a class is better to really learn the best polishing techniques. There is a tutorial I have done here on the Salongeek.com in the articles and Tutorials section under nail finishing called

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/11972-precision-polishing.html

There is also the complete Shellac application tutorial as well

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...-colour-coat-system-application-tutorial.html

the members tutorial section is the best thing about this site!! It's there and its free. Take a good look.

Thank you both stacks. I have read the tutorials but I just can't seem to put it into practice. Is 'precision polish' a CND course then?

It amazed me that we were never actually taught how to apply polish at college. It was more about routine than applying it neatly. I definitely feel I need someone good to show me how x

Thank you both stacks. I have read the tutorials but I just can't seem to put it into practice. Is 'precision polish' a CND course then?

It amazed me that we were never actually taught how to apply polish at college. It was more about routine than applying it neatly. I definitely feel I need someone good to show me how x

Same here with college, all about the routine! I've learned heaps just from watching fingernail fixer and her application. The CND YouTube vids are great as well, but a class would be a great idea if there's one near you

There are Shellac classes run by CND Education Ambassadors up and down the country, and we also offer 1-2-1 sessions to work on areas of your choosing - so some polishing practise with Shellac could be arranged! I am in South Warwickshire (so about 1.5hrs from Derby I think), but if you call Sweet Squared they will give you the details of other ambassadors too so you can check who is nearest. :)

There are Shellac classes run by CND Education Ambassadors up and down the country, and we also offer 1-2-1 sessions to work on areas of your choosing - so some polishing practise with Shellac could be arranged! I am in South Warwickshire (so about 1.5hrs from Derby I think), but if you call Sweet Squared they will give you the details of other ambassadors too so you can check who is nearest. :)

Thank you. I was actually on a shellac course just under a month ago and whilst it was very informative, they do kind of have to take it as a given that we can actually apply polish. Lol. I certainly would welcome being taught how to just apply nail polish. x

Thank you. I was actually on a shellac course just under a month ago and whilst it was very informative, they do kind of have to take it as a given that we can actually apply polish. Lol. I certainly would welcome being taught how to just apply nail polish. x

As Shellac is only sold and classes are only offered to those who hold a valid certification for manicure/pedicure, one would be reasonable to assume that those who hold that certification would know how to polish. We have found that to be an assumption we maybe should not have made. :eek:

Who would have thought? I have taught more people how to do a professional polish in the last 3 years since the launch of Shellac than in all the years previously!! Really crazy.

One of the most important aspects of a manicure as far as the consumer is concerned, is that their polish should look professional and should last longer than a 'home job' they could do themselves. We as technicians must deliver that ... and Shellac performance depends on being able to provide that for the consumer.

You can always book a 121 with a CND educator or Shellac ambassador if you want training where you have a gap in your skills. Well worth the small amount it costs.

As Shellac is only sold and classes are only offered to those who hold a valid certification for manicure/pedicure, one would be reasonable to assume that those who hold that certification would know how to polish. We have found that to be an assumption we maybe should not have made. :eek:

Who would have thought? I have taught more people how to do a professional polish in the last 3 years since the launch of Shellac than in all the years previously!! Really crazy.

One of the most important aspects of a manicure as far as the consumer is concerned, is that their polish should look professional and should last longer than a 'home job' they could do themselves. We as technicians must deliver that ... and Shellac performance depends on being able to provide that for the consumer.

You can always book a 121 with a CND educator or Shellac ambassador if you want training where you have a gap in your skills. Well worth the small amount it costs.

Yes, you would have thought it to be a correct assumption. Sadly, it was definitely lacking in my Level 2 beauty therapy course (ITEC). I think the suggestion of a 1-2-1 is an excellent one and I shall definitely follow that up! Thank you :) x

The Complete Nail Technician mentioned above covers all aspects of nails - including manicure, pedicure and polishing. This was the text book used in my college course and I still find it useful.

The book you need is Nailclass by Gigi Rouse she is the guru of all things nails and our very own Geeg on this site! Always available to give us helpful tips and advise and basically a walking encyclopaedia of all things nails

I agree Nailclass is the book you need, it is "awesome" !!!

Latest posts

Back