Can anyone shed any light on this??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny-Nails

Reaction score
I've heard a few people just lately saying that gel is kinder to your natural nails than l&p.

I'm a CND Master Tech so have been taught how to apply and remove l&p enhancements safely and know the reasons that nail plates can be damaged, regardless of which system you use e.g. harsh filing on natural nails, picking enhancements off, etc etc.

I was watching a shopping channel the other week and was shouting at the TV 'cos the girl on there demonstrating how to apply a gel tip & overlay was saying "Oh yes, gel is much kinder to the natural nail than acrylic"...as she 'removed the shine (and several layers of nail plate) from the nail with what looked like a 100 grit file!!!'....poor model, she had lovely nails to start with! :cry: :cry:

Also, one of my customers is a beauty therapist and is being taught how to 'do nails' with Calgel and she said to me "They say gel is much kinder to natural nails than acrylic you know".

When I asked her why that was, she said "I think it's organic!"

I thought (I may be wrong here) but aren't all/most systems organic??

Are there any real reasons why gel would be kinder to natural nails than l&p enhancements applied by a well trained tech???

I use Brisa and L&P and so my prep and aftercare are the same...I'm wondering if it is a myth or if there is any evidence to sustain the belief that gel is kinder to nails than l&p

Look forward to hearing your comments

Jenny
CND Master Tech

No nail system is 'kinder' to the nail plate than any other.

Whether or not your prep is kind is the key.

Just one of those marketing ploys that prey on the ignorance of people new to the industry. And YES you are right, all nail systems are organic which simply means, they contain carbon. You are organic, cow poo is organic and all nail sytems are organic. :green:

Jenny-Nails said:
I've heard a few people just lately saying that gel is kinder to your natural nails than l&p.

I'm a CND Master Tech so have been taught how to apply and remove l&p enhancements safely and know the reasons that nail plates can be damaged, regardless of which system you use e.g. harsh filing on natural nails, picking enhancements off, etc etc.

I was watching a shopping channel the other week and was shouting at the TV 'cos the girl on there demonstrating how to apply a gel tip & overlay was saying "Oh yes, gel is much kinder to the natural nail than acrylic"...as she 'removed the shine (and several layers of nail plate) from the nail with what looked like a 100 grit file!!!'....poor model, she had lovely nails to start with! :cry: :cry:

Also, one of my customers is a beauty therapist and is being taught how to 'do nails' with Calgel and she said to me "They say gel is much kinder to natural nails than acrylic you know".

When I asked her why that was, she said "I think it's organic!"

I thought (I may be wrong here) but aren't all/most systems organic??

Are there any real reasons why gel would be kinder to natural nails than l&p enhancements applied by a well trained tech???

I use Brisa and L&P and so my prep and aftercare are the same...I'm wondering if it is a myth or if there is any evidence to sustain the belief that gel is kinder to nails than l&p

Look forward to hearing your comments

Jenny
CND Master Tech
Hiya,
The college i go to are teaching nails with Calgel because they are organic and are better for your nails than acrylic, when i was talking to the tutor about the course ( i dont need to do it) but i was intrested why they only use Calgel an i told her that all systems are from the acrylic family and as Geeg says no nail system is better or worse for your nails, Its down to the technician and if the technician is trained adaquatley then there will be no problems, its down to lack of knowledge and training that ruins clients nails not the products.

Amanda

I was taught that it's improper application and removal that causes the damage.

According to Douglas Schoon (nail technology book, can't remember it's name off the top of my head)you can cut off a nail and soak it in monomer for years and it still wouldn't show any sign of harm to it. However, having done acrylic and now gel I do find that when a client breaks a nail and the product comes off, the nail plate does seem to be less damaged with gel than acrylic, so maybe this is where the confusion lies?

Latest posts

Back