Can I use Harmony Structure Gel before Shellac or Gelicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gattia

Reaction score
I use all three of the above systems and never mix them. I have some clients who request Shellac for example and they wear it very well apart from on a couple if nails, where they struggle with chipping or peeling. I feel these nails need some extra strength. I'm not trained in Brisa or any other gel system. What do you think as I know you can shellac over clients who have gel or acrylic enhancements. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi yes Im sure you can use the structure gel before shellac, Gelish etc. I use maniQ soak off gel in Place of shellac basecoat on my ladies that have weak nails and need more strength. Obviously it takes a little longer to soak off but nothing drastic. HTH xxx

Thanks Waffle4. So no Shellac BaseCoat & I should leave the tacky layer on the structure gel? :)

Yes, when I use the maniQ I prep the nail as per usual then apply the maniQ INSTEAD of the shellac basecoat then do the shellac colours straight onto the inhibition layer (don't wipe) then shellac topcoat as usual and solar oil. It has made a difference with some of my ladies with weak brittle nails and ok so its not a "true" shellac service by doing this but my ladies don't care at all, they just want the blimmin shellac to last lol
HTH xxxx

Wouldn't all this be regarded as "Messing"? Would your insurance cover you for product mixing? I am only asking the question and I don't know the answer.

Personally, I advise my Gelicure clients who have very weak nails to have a Gelish colour so that I can use the structure gel and keep within one system. Isn't Shellac only recommended for clients with good natural nails?

It was a very well respected nail tech who told me to try this and she said its only "messing" if you mix uncured products together. In this instance the base layer of gel is fully cured before proceeding with the shellac colours. Shellac is able to be used over gel enhancements in the same way just you apply the colour coats into the top gloss (hard gel) dispersion layer x

Harmony Structure Gel doesn't get applied to the natural nail but onto the inhibition layer of the Foundation gel in the Gelish system. OR you can use Structure gel on top of the colour before topcoat.
So if you wanted to add it into another system then surely it would be best to apply your Shellac basecoat, your colour coats and then a layer of Structure gel for strength, then topcoat
As someone has already said though it would be best to talk the client into a Gelish colour and use the full system.

Thanks all. I agree. I didn't want to be a 'messer' and if I can talk clients with weak nails into Gelish I will, usually without a problem - most really don't mind which product it is as long as it looks amazing and lasts. One particular client WANTS Shellac but just needs re-enforcement on her index & thumb nails, and another client that has a split in her thumb nail that she's had years & I know the Stucture gel will help. I wasn't suggesting all 10 nails have structure gel on, just 1 or 2 that may need it, the rest of the nails to be Shellac'd as usual. I'm just trying to keep clients happy. ;-)

hi hun

Don't know if this would be any help as i don't know the condition of your clients nails but would fibreglass mesh and/or two two coats of top coat help at all?

Love n hugs x

Thanks Happyfeet, unfortunately I'm not trained in fibre glass or silk. X

I'm using forever French soak off gel. Shellac base, or gelac, depends which color we've gone with, then builder, color, finish as usual. My client has a nail.split upwards since childhood, and this keeps hers on. We still have a bit of trouble sometimes with the nails that peel in layers, but over all, its helping. :)
My clients know the brands aren't the same. But I feel if the main composition is similar, it will work. Not always. But I feel like its saying "don't use posche top coat over essie polish, with opi bonder base coat. Bc it won't work". Yes... It will. Just watch your ingredient list.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Thanks Happyfeet, unfortunately I'm not trained in fibre glass or silk. X

hey honey

you dont need training to apply the fibreglass mesh to your base coat. here is a video from fingernaifixer to help hun....

Repair with Fiberglass in Shellac - YouTube

i find this really helpful for my clients with peeling nails as well.

hth xxx

Thank you all. I'm going to give it a go as I feel its best to keep a happy client. My rule is stick to the system and use it as its intended to be used but on this occasion something extra is required and my clients are aware that the structure gel is from a different system but also from a very good one & that I'm using only the best products. :)

Just watched that video Happyfeet - thanks again, that brilliant. Any idea where you buy the pre cut self adhesive fibreglass from? I will definitely give that a go :))))))

Just watched that video Happyfeet - thanks again, that brilliant. Any idea where you buy the pre cut self adhesive fibreglass from? I will definitely give that a go :))))))

You can get it from capital. Hth xx

Latest posts

Back