Can it work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurate

Reaction score
I feel a little bit low here...

Basically, I rent a room in a salon. As I can only do evenings and weekends, I share it with salons owner - I don't mind this at all, she only does massages in there and I do beauty side of things - facials, eyebrows, lashes, etc.

Up until now this has worked fine, we've a great relationship and I have finally built up regular clientele, so I am actually working every week (I'm on % basis).

We've both put our things into that room - shared towels, her furniture, etc. I stock all my own products, supply the disposables and so on.
I understand that because at the moment I cannot go and work for her full time, the room is basically unused in the salon and that means - no money to be made from it.

She did tell me that she may want to get someone into there during the day, which is fine, and one therapist has approached her just last week.

She is coming in for a trial tomorrow,but what worries me is actually trying to work out how to share stuff, how can I be sure she is not going to use my stock? I have just trained in body wraps with an idea of bringing them in along with body polishing and have just undergone that training and purchased the kit.

The treatments that she is going to offer are facials - with her own products (and I already offer two different product facials), body wraps(!!!!!) And body polishes (!!!). Apparently she doesn't do anything else, apart from massages.

I think the situation is going to be very confusing, - I don't mind her coming in to the salon, as I have been the only therapist for over a year and I understand she needs someone during the day, I also understand that it will be nice for people to be able to choose their therapist.

I do worry though that this means I will have to cart my own stuff around as I have paid and am still paying into all the stuff I do, I constantly update my stock, I have my particular ways hygiene wise and I would not want someone else touching my tools as they are MINE, I autoclave and sanitise them and would feel odd not being sure wether they have been used or touched, etc.

Am I right worrying about all this? Maybe I should just get a life?

Ahhh it kills me!

I just don't know how will all this work! And I was planning to quit my full time job within a few months to go into full time work in this salon, but if she's going to work there as well - there is no chance I will be able to do that :(:(:(:(

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure how it would work unless maybe use both got drawers in your work to keep ur stuff seperate...with a lock ofcourse. I hate it when people touch my stuff, i wouldnt want to risk sharing my products and that would never work out 100% because u cant tell exactly what she has used and the ware and tear on ur stuff

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I'm not sure how it would work unless maybe use both got drawers in your work to keep ur stuff seperate...with a lock ofcourse. I hate it when people touch my stuff, i wouldnt want to risk sharing my products and that would never work out 100% because u cant tell exactly what she has used and the ware and tear on ur stuff

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Exactly my thoughts. It just looks like I'm gonna have to talk to the manager :(

I don't want to come across bitter, I will just have to think on how to put things straight so that I'm not misunderstood :(

I was going to suggest a lockable cupboard or drawers too.

good luck x

Would you consider leaving your ft job now? She.obvs believes the work is there if she's.employing someone else, could you advertise your butt off and be ft lashes and wraps? Scary but could work out better?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Would it be possible to see if the manager would be willing to wait a bit longer until you're ready to go full time? All said and done, you've been there for a while now and if they had compassion (and a spark of seeing and opportunity) they would hopefully at least think about it.

if you have been there over a year and have built up a client base, enough for you have thought of bringing new treatments in etc then i would speak to her about you having the room full time....why would you let someone else move in and take over your existing clients in the day and get new ones when that was what you intended anyway!!!!

She really wants me to be there full time. She's said that ever since the summer. She has a lot of trust in me - I can do what I please normally and she really goes out of her way to accommodate me, I in my turn, have done a lot for her - I've helped her create a proper client database, have done a lot of research, cover the reception when I'm not busy.

Well, its all give and take.

I do feel that lately my ft job has been in a way of getting more clients, however, I'm still scared of quitting because I will have no one to pay my bills :(

I will see what happens today though. She's meeting the girl and I will know more later today. I know she has been very clear with her about her not being able to work evenings and weekends due to me being there and I'm fully booked most of those days.

It is so draining - thinking about all of the situation - I'd only had few hours sleep today. Not feeling good at all :(

Hi

How about going to work full time and having a evening/weekend job? That way youd still be making some money to cover bills but can fill up your day with beauty then evenutually quit the evening job?

So much thinking to do. Just when things started to really pick up :( had a great January and February didn't start too well.

The owner will be calling me once she's spoken to the girl to let me know what she thinks of her.

I did mention to her that if she comes along there will be no place for me to work full time. She's said that there is no chance she will be fully booked as soon as she starts as it's taken over a year for my slots to be filled. She also said that her meeting her doesn't mean she's taking her on.

Still feel uneasy as need to talk so many things through but not over the phone!

Thank you for suggestions - will have a lot to think about now ...

I think in the short term a locker or lockable storage box will work.

Hi

Just wondering how it went?

Hi

Just wondering how it went?

Hi Claire, thank you for asking :) feeling much more positive now, maybe it's because I got some sleep, maybe it's because the owner said that the girl could not be compared to me as in treatment wise - she told me that I'm much better.
She is allowed to work at the salon though but only when I'm not busy or when I'm not there and obviously she will have to bring in her own clients. We are getting separate shelves with storage areas and she will only be using her own stock.

Just for my own peace of mind I will be putting away every single bit of my equipment away so that it's not tempting.

She will not have bookings for a while anyway so I will just have to see how it goes.

Our treatments are aimed at different clients and she won't be performing what I do.

It looks like I will just have to sit it out for a while to see how it goes. I had a long conversation with the owner yesterday wich actually put my mind at ease. I don't want to be judgemental towards the girl just yet ašį haven't even seen her.

I will keep my eyes open will wait for a few weeks and then make my mind up regarding the ft job. Need to get some rest now as it seems like the lack of sleep is actually making me even more negative about the whole situation.

Xxx

Latest posts

Back