Can L&P shrink on the nail??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara Evans

Reaction score
I got a random question the other day, can L&P (acryilc was her words) Shrink. I did go into nail growth but that wasnt the question!!! I gave up, so can L&P shrink? :grr:

Last edited:
Yes, shrinkage occurs if your mix ratio is too wet or if the L+P cures quickly, ie when the weather's hot. Although, I believe that's more to do with how the L+P feels on the nail as opposed to visibly watching it shrink back.

That's quite a random thing for someone to ask you, do you know what prompted the question?

I was reading about this in Doug Schoons book the other day. Apparently all systems shrink naturally due to the monomers and oligomers embracing each other tightly when they are polymerising, as he puts it.

Wrap resin shrink between 4 and 7 percent, l&p between 7 and 11 percent and uv gel shrinks between 12 and 18 percent. He says a little shrinkage is normal but anything greater than 12 percent causes problems such as lifting, tip cracking and even pain :eek:

You learn something new every day on here.. This book is absolutely amazing, wish I had got it sooner.

edit: Sorry, meant to agree with what ValencianNails said too.. does say working too wet will cause excessive shrinkage.. :)

Last edited:
He says a little shrinkage is normal but anything greater than 12 percent causes problems such as lifting, tip cracking and even pain :eek:

I once had this and believe me I thought my thumb was going to drop of as the pain was so bad. I think it was due to the fact the l&p was way to thick and had shrank! Owch.

it was a previous bad experience of nail enhancements. Thanks for all info i will pass this on xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back