Can neighbour put dampers on cabin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
Well, I luuuurrve Bev Rose's cabin, I'd love something like that but a bit bigger so I can have a massage bed out. My problem is my neighbour. I'm worried that if I spend x amount of pounds that she'll call the council and get me shut down, and that'll be all that money wasted.

Can a neighbour complain if you're running a business from your cabin in your garden? Customers would park on my drive or in front of my house, and I would have only one customer there at a time. It's also not as though I'm playing rock music or having cars revving all day (like the house the other side of her sometimes does)

any advice greatly received! I am thinking of going to Business Link for advice but if anyone has any tales to tell along this line I'd be grateful of your experience.:hug:

Neighbours can bleat to the council about anything you do, if they're so inclined. I'd beat them to it, if I were you, and consult them myself. Good luck! :)

Well just contact the council for planning permission hun. You stand more of a chance if your home is owned xxx

Yes I would ask the council but be prepared, quiet often they don't have a clue themselves and it ends up being a bit farcical, don't ring, go in and see them, take photo's of the cabin, your garden and your parking area. Explain that you only work on one client at a time and never have a client waiting.
You should get told that you don't need planning permission and that you only need to talk to the tax office. GOOD LUCK:hug:
After that I'd invite the neighbor over for a cuppa, sit her down and explain what you are doing and reassure her that you are running a quiet, relaxing business and that she will not be disturbed at any time,come across as confident, don't give her the impression that you are asking her permission to do this, rather that you are letting her know what you are doing so she doesn't worry. Much better to try to get on with next door, you never know you might even pick up a client:) And if you sympathize about her other next door neighbor, you should come across as that lovely lady next door, sooooooo considerate.

Yes I would ask the council but be prepared, quiet often they don't have a clue themselves and it ends up being a bit farcical, don't ring, go in and see them, take photo's of the cabin, your garden and your parking area. Explain that you only work on one client at a time and never have a client waiting.
You should get told that you don't need planning permission and that you only need to talk to the tax office. GOOD LUCK:hug:
After that I'd invite the neighbor over for a cuppa, sit her down and explain what you are doing and reassure her that you are running a quiet, relaxing business and that she will not be disturbed at any time,come across as confident, don't give her the impression that you are asking her permission to do this, rather that you are letting her know what you are doing so she doesn't worry. Much better to try to get on with next door, you never know you might even pick up a client:) And if you sympathize about her other next door neighbor, you should come across as that lovely lady next door, sooooooo considerate.

You haven't met my neighbour! She had a go at us when we first moved in for keeping her awake, and making the electricity go crazy. It was 7pm, we were laying a laminate floor in the room on the opposite side of the house to her, doors & windows were all closed, and best of all, we weren't using the electricity! Husband was cutting the boards with a saw and it was summer so didn't even have a light on:eek:

Then there was the time she decided to ask my daughter questions about how I can afford to run the house as my husband had left. She had my then little girl in tears, she was asking private stuff that was none of her business.

The daughter of the lady who used to live in my house actually lost her temper and punched my neighbour cos she was so nosey, always complaining, asking personal questions etc. The woman has no friends in the area at all.

Not someone I'd want to invite round for a cuppa, and definitely don't want her as a client! This is why I'm worried she may cause problems.

I think as has been said, my best option is to talk to the council. I do own the house, so at least that's a bit of help then!

Hi Ditzy- aside from your neighbour (she sounds awful!) you have three separate issues- the first two relate to the Council planning department- as already posted you will need permission for a change of use or consent to operate a business. You may also need Planning and/ or Building Regulation consent for the construction of the cabin itself and you should take its dimensions down to the Council.

The second is to check your deeds (easy to obtain from Land Registry online for £3.00). Some deeds have a prohibition (called a restrictive covenant) on either constructing outbuildings (such as the cabin) or for operating a business. Whilst many people ignore a deeds check it is so worth doing as if you are in breach then a) this may prejudice a future sale and b) this is one thing your neighbour's called hold over you should they find out who could enforce the covenant.

Happy to have a look for you to check- it only takes 5 minutes!

Hi Ditzy- aside from your neighbour (she sounds awful!) you have three separate issues- the first two relate to the Council planning department- as already posted you will need permission for a change of use or consent to operate a business. You may also need Planning and/ or Building Regulation consent for the construction of the cabin itself and you should take its dimensions down to the Council.

The second is to check your deeds (easy to obtain from Land Registry online for £3.00). Some deeds have a prohibition (called a restrictive covenant) on either constructing outbuildings (such as the cabin) or for operating a business. Whilst many people ignore a deeds check it is so worth doing as if you are in breach then a) this may prejudice a future sale and b) this is one thing your neighbour's called hold over you should they find out who could enforce the covenant.

Happy to have a look for you to check- it only takes 5 minutes!

Well, thanks for that, I just did it, OMG it is sooo interesting!

Going by the deeds, I can't build a manufactory mill, gasworks, hospital or asylum on my land (bugger, was just thinking about building an all in one:green:), I'm also not allowed to make bricks or tiles, or burn lime or clay. I'm not allowed to "manufacture of a noisesome nature" which I would make sure I file gently.

The only part I think which my neighbour could use is this line:

nor shall anything
be done thereon which may be or grow to be a nuisance or annoyance to the
said Golf Club its Members or the neighbourhood

There's also a bit about not being able to build a house or permanent building within 40 feet of the golf course (land house is on was sold by the golf course in 1898) but they sold more land after that so I'm lots further away than 40 feet, plus this house was built here along with another 20 odd since that was written!

Fascinating reading!

Well, thanks for that, I just did it, OMG it is sooo interesting!

Going by the deeds, I can't build a manufactory mill, gasworks, hospital or asylum on my land (bugger, was just thinking about building an all in one:green:), I'm also not allowed to make bricks or tiles, or burn lime or clay. I'm not allowed to "manufacture of a noisesome nature" which I would make sure I file gently.

The only part I think which my neighbour could use is this line:

nor shall anything
be done thereon which may be or grow to be a nuisance or annoyance to the
said Golf Club its Members or the neighbourhood

There's also a bit about not being able to build a house or permanent building within 40 feet of the golf course (land house is on was sold by the golf course in 1898) but they sold more land after that so I'm lots further away than 40 feet, plus this house was built here along with another 20 odd since that was written!

Fascinating reading!

Glad you enjoyed it! The perfect client :) The terms nuisance and annoyance are quite technical terms and dont necessarily mean that you cheese your neighbour off- a legal nuisance is something like oil leaking onto the neighbouring land. You also have to think about who can enforce this- your neighbour cannot but could they ask the original covenantor (the person named on the deeds). They could be dead so you might be home free.

On the area point you will be fine (as you say plenty of others since) and the developers probably had consent in any event.

Sorry if this is moving off tangent for a hair/beauty forum! :)

I run my business from a cabin in my garden! I rent from the council - now a housing association - and I wrote to them with my proposals, illustrated I was a professional, insured, had a mobile client base and wanted to develop my business further etc. They asked me to speak to the neighbours, show how I would minimise any enviromental impact from parking etc and to clearly show that I had met the requirements of the planning department and the environmental health department.

I have to say they were really very supportive, gave me a lot of guidance, and my housing manager always asks how business is. The neighbours have since moved, but I was upfront with the new ones and they are cool about it all.

Initially I thought they would just turn me down flat, but I had nothing to lose by asking, and I got a really pleasant surprise. Just coming to the end of my third year and business is fab! Go for it - you never know what might come of it!

After 18 months of my neighbour trying to close me down (working from home) we decided to move house. She was photographing everyone that came to my house, tried to get me in trouble with the council (that didnt work) and constantly called the police saying silly things about people coming to my house and staring at her. Surely if you notice someone staring at you then you must be staring at them?! Moving was the best thing we ever did. Nasty bit of work that one!

i am having a log cabin built in my garden. I live in a housing ass house. My contract states i can run a business from home if noise and cars are kept to a minimum. planning permission has now changed and you can build bigger without permission. i am able to built a cabin with 4 rooms, which measures 21 x 11 ft! i do need planning regulations and will have to change the use to business when up & running. I don't see why my neighbors will complain, only 1 car at a time, no different to a visitor, and the noise levels will be kept low.
Good luck with yours xx

Latest posts

Back