Can Olaplex be 'stripped?'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buxom

Reaction score
Hey Geeks,

This is probably a stupid question but I just wanted to double-check. Would using a clarifying shampoo, remove an Olaplex treatment in the hair?

Thank you!

This is my understanding of the product, but happy to be corrected.

Olaplex performs a chemical reaction and repairs some of the broken hydrogen bonds that have broken due to using heat and chemicals etc. When you (blow) dry the hair after the Olaplex service, the Olaplex will have stopped reacting.

So you wouldn’t remove Olaplex as such, but further use of strong chemicals or detergents such as a clarifying shampoo, heated tools, etc., then yes, you’d be breaking some of the hydrogen bonds within the hair.

I feel compelled to comment.
I’ve used Olaplex from the get go🤩
I was in fact - one of the first salons in this country to actually get my hands on it - waiting months on a ‘waiting list’ after following Guy Tang ( a fabulous America colourist who was relatively unknown in this country at the time 8 years ago) started to rave about it on YouTube.
I loved the product - it was a fabulously new gift to the industry.....
However 😕
Over time - as with all things ‘professional’ - we start to see it appear on Amazon at a greatly reduced price....
Demand drops as ‘Joe Public’ can source it for less - somewhere else - & they then start doing the treatments themselves at home ....
Add to this - it also becomes a product you can NEVER QUESTION!😬
If you dare make, what they perceive as a negative comment - a query or question - on their Facebook page - you will get removed!
This saddens me as it then becomes
‘The Emporors New Suit’

Hey Geeks,

This is probably a stupid question but I just wanted to double-check. Would using a clarifying shampoo, remove an Olaplex treatment in the hair?

Thank you!
What is the hair like that you want to remove it from?
What about the Olaplex are you / client not happy with?

What is the hair like that you want to remove it from?
What about the Olaplex are you / client not happy with?
Hey! Not wanting to remove in fact, client just came in for a stand-alone treatment, and now wants to color. Bad timing on my part. She had extensions in, and was using lots of heavy silicone products, so I wanted to clarify her beforehand. Of course this should have been before the stand-alone but...here we are!

I feel compelled to comment.
I’ve used Olaplex from the get go🤩
I was in fact - one of the first salons in this country to actually get my hands on it - waiting months on a ‘waiting list’ after following Guy Tang ( a fabulous America colourist who was relatively unknown in this country at the time 8 years ago) started to rave about it on YouTube.
I loved the product - it was a fabulously new gift to the industry.....
However 😕
Over time - as with all things ‘professional’ - we start to see it appear on Amazon at a greatly reduced price....
Demand drops as ‘Joe Public’ can source it for less - somewhere else - & they then start doing the treatments themselves at home ....
Add to this - it also becomes a product you can NEVER QUESTION!😬
If you dare make, what they perceive as a negative comment - a query or question - on their Facebook page - you will get removed!
This saddens me as it then becomes
‘The Emporors New Suit’
Do you feel that quality has compromised with its "fame?"

Hey! Not wanting to remove in fact, client just came in for a stand-alone treatment, and now wants to color. Bad timing on my part. She had extensions in, and was using lots of heavy silicone products, so I wanted to clarify her beforehand. Of course this should have been before the stand-alone but...here we are!
Ahh okay, I miss understood your question 😂
So basically what @AcidPerm said. The bonds are there to replace the natural ones, so they break down the same way your natural ones do. So colour, blowdrying, heat styling and environmental damage will break down the bonds.
What you can do if the clients doesn't want to pay for Olaplex again /or you don't want to charge again. Then you can apply Olaplex No2 for 10-20 mins as a booster after the colour service has finished. It acts as a top up.

Do you feel that quality has compromised with its "fame?"
I think so.....🥴
What started as a fabulous new additive that could ‘support’ our colours & perms has now ‘morphed’ into the ‘Holy Grail’ of hairdressing.....😳
As good as it is - it should not be mistaken for a ‘miracle cure’
You cannot expect to bleach/perm highly compromised hair and have a fabulous outcome - just because you added a ml of Ola!
Professionalism should not - cannot be replaced by ‘a product’
Unfortunately I believe the hype has now replaced good judgement

Latest posts

Back