Can Solar Oil stain nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lushlonglocks

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have had a Shellac French manicure on my nails for the past 2 weeks and started using solar oil for the first time yesterday. Today i have light brown patches on my nails. I frequently have shellac french and this has never happened before so was wondering if it could be the solar oil as i have not used it in the past with my previous french manicures? My nail tech does not retail solar oil, that is why i have never used it before, i purchased some from another salon after reading about it on here. Pics are attached, would be really grateful if somebody could let me know. Thank you :)
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1378918065.618212.jpg ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1378918077.818890.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1378918088.068869.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1378918047.173430.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1378918047.173430.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 426
I've only just started using shellac so someone might correct me but I don't think it does! Could it have been from something else like smoking/coloured food or tint/hair dye? I know sometimes if I have French BioSculpture that it can discolour from things like this xx

It will not be Solar oil
Things will stain Shellac as it is slightly porous, like other gels and gel polishes.
Things like squeezing tea bags, hair dye, fake tan, certain foods you eat with your hands, foundation can all stain.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your replies :) ... I have been bed bound for the last 3 days, ill so I haven't been working, drinking, eating or using make up/ fake tan and I don't smoke! I'm really baffled, the only thing thats touched my nails is solar oil and tap/ shower water! And, like i said, the marks have only come up today :/

This may be a silly question... But can i apply regular polish over the top to cover it up until my reshellac next week?

I'm pretty certain that solar oil does not stain the nails/ Shellac. My clients and I use it religiously and continuously and I've never seen this before due to solar oil.

Shellac and Gelish French can discolour but not through solar oil.

Yes you can paint over Shellac with normal polish. You can also remove normal polish too by using Non acetone Nail Polish Remover.x

Thank you :) ill continue to use the solar oil (in desperate need as i am a former biter!) and will paint over the top until my appointment :) x

Latest posts

Back