Can spray tan do this to someone's hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffpuff

Reaction score
I would really appreciate any advise you professional hair care peeps can give me! A client had said spray tan turned his hair this colour. In the 20 years we have been spray tanning we have never seen this happen. Does it look like spray tan to you?
image.jpeg

Hi @Fluffpuff ,

Sorry I'm beauty not hair but just wanted to say I've never known tan to change hair colour before and I've been spray tanning for 12 years. What colour was the hair before? I usually advise people with blonde hair to wear a turbie towel but lots haven't and it's never ever (touch wood) changed the colour at all X

His hair is brown. We provide a cap but he didn't put it on. Our therapist didn't insist as few people unless they are using it to tie back long hair do. He said his roots had changed colour when I insisted on a pic he sent me this. Says he has been off work with stress.

He uses dye to cover is grey. He dyed it this week & this is the pic.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1473972645.519972.jpg

Sorry if I'm stupid but is he saying it's gone from the dark brown to the other colour or from grey? It's bizarre Hoping someone else can offer more help I'm sorry. Thing is if for some strange reason it is the tan you did offer a shower cap. I've literally done people with bleached white hair and was fine though unless it's reacted if done too close together?

He said his hair was mid brown but touched up with hair dye to cover grey when he came in for the tan & the tan turned it this colour !! (1st pic).

Sorry is he having a laugh!!?? Spray tan is a water based solution.... If any solution got on his hair it would of washed out anyway & unless the therapist sprayed his hair (which I very much doubt!) I don't see how this is possible! The only possible answer I could think is, if he dyed his hair just before being sprayed,maybe making his hair porous!? (Any hair geeks out there that can advise!?) but seriously off work with stress......there are lots of gingers out there that work without issue! [emoji23][emoji23]

His hair is brown. We provide a cap but he didn't put it on. Our therapist didn't insist as few people unless they are using it to tie back long hair do. He said his roots had changed colour when I insisted on a pic he sent me this. Says he has been off work with stress.

Off work with stress because of his hair... I think there is a much bigger issue there hahahahaha.

I've never worked with spray tans but if his hair was porous then I suppose it could have sucked some of it up just from the air, however that would only happen on blond hair.

If he colours his own hair sounds like he has maybe picked the wrong box up and wants someone to blame.

I don't think a tan could do this but this post made my day!!

A tan wouldn't be able to colour his hair this way, The main reason for the cap is to stop the hair from feeling sticky from overspray. If you don't wear the cap sometimes it can feel like you have loads of hairspray on and on bleach blonde clients you can sometimes notice a hint of colour, however this is just guide colour , similar to make up and would just wash out.

I think a far more likely reason for his hair looking different is without doubt the lighting in both photos is completely different. In the photo with the dark hair he is indoors, with the lighter hair he is in direct sunlight.

Also is this his first time colouring his hair? Hair colour always lightens after a few washes , perhaps he is just not aware of this?

Tan can actually turn freshly tinted brows slightly ginger and have experienced this many times however you'd have to have sprayed his whole head for that to happen endless you are really over spraying and using far too much product.

:rolleyes:Sorry but that's absolute bull!
I used to be a full head bleach blonde and had a spray tan every week. Always forgot to put my cap on as we were usually rushing and it's never changes the colour of my hair.
Occasionally you would see a tinge around my hairline but when I washed my hair it disappeared.
If tan could lift dark box dye couloirs then all us hairdressers would be using it!!!o_O:p

The only time I've had a colour change is when I was tanned IMMEDIATELY after bleaching my hair. And that was just slight around my hair line. Maybe he's used a different dye to normal and this is the result of colour fade from washing his hair?

.......You HAVE to laugh at this one.......as others have said, a tinge around the hairline on a light blond...yes...
a full on 'copper knob'...no... :p
It is hard to achieve a natural brown with an 'off the shelf' home kit, they always end up with too much warmth!
I would advise your client to visit a professional salon for his colour. :cool:

I spoke to the client today & to say he was unhappy when I explained the photo he had provided as proof spray tan had turned his hair ginger did the opposite, is an understatement! He said this is not the last I will hear of this & be prepared to go to court. I have sent him an email explaining I am unable to offer him a solution as in my professional opinion spray tan could not have done this........guess I will have to wait & see what happens.

Sorry is he having a laugh!!?? Spray tan is a water based solution.... If any solution got on his hair it would of washed out anyway & unless the therapist sprayed his hair (which I very much doubt!) I don't see how this is possible! The only possible answer I could think is, if he dyed his hair just before being sprayed,maybe making his hair porous!? (Any hair geeks out there that can advise!?) but seriously off work with stress......there are lots of gingers out there that work without issue! [emoji23][emoji23]
Made me die [emoji23][emoji23]

Have you cropped the pictures or has he?? In my opinion it's a totally different person. The frown lines don't match on his forehead neither do the freckles and his hair looks a totally different shape xx

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] that's what I thought!! He wouldn't send me a pic of his face as he is very embarrassed by the situation!!!!

He is full of s***, sounds like one if the people searching for freebies and financial gain by threatening you with court etc.
What brand spray tan are you using?

He is so stressed off work that he is in New York with his ginger hair. If you look at the reflection in his glasses you can tell, and a quick Google of the optometrist telephone number from behind him confirmed this

Latest posts

Back