Can you recommend a Hair Academy??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger Jay

Reaction score
Hi there , was wondering if anyone could recommend any hair academies that cover the West Midlands. I am looking to do barbering to start with as an add on to my present nail business.

Many Thanks for your help.
Jules x

:lol: Hello, you could try Aston Fincher birmingham!!!! they do a whole range of courses! hope this helps xxx

Thank you. I will have a look. :0)

Hi,

Cobra Hair Academy offer Professional Barbering Courses at their flagship training school in Nottingham.

Their in house expert professional Wet Shaving school Shavemaster also offer professional wet shaving if you are looking to offer both services to your clients. Holding an excellent reputation in training, they are especially skilled at helping existing businesses whom wish to expand into offering hairdressing or barbering services to develop their business or indeed those wishing to train to open a new barbering / male grooming business venture.

Their Academy Director Sid Sottung is an industry recognised global hairdressing and barbering educator and leading expert in the field and recently appeared as a Celebrity Guest Hair Stylist and Male Grooming expert on acclaimed industry online training website Myhairdressers.com, which offers online hair education from a selection of the worlds very best hairdressers. More information can be found on the links below:

http://myhairdressers.com/news/hairdressing-training-courses-barbering-111611.html

www.cobrahairacademy.com

www.shavemaster.co.uk

Sid personally teaches Barbering and Wet Shaving Classes alongside his industry team of experts and you can request to train in Sid's classes should you wish to be taught by him personally, subject to seat availability.

Hope that helps and good luck with your new venture.

Excellent! Thank you for your help. x

:eek: wow that sounds fab!!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin:Hi I have recently been to cobra academy in nottingham, i can only recomend these as the course was amazing. I spent months looking where to learn and eventually rang them and spoke to Emma who spent hours talking to me about my salon and the staff i had. I have been on 2 courses at cobra now (ladies and barbering) and Sid sottung is a LEGEND!!! I really didnt think it was possible that within a week he could teach me but here i am working in my my own salon doing ladies cutting and barbering and yes they are paying and recomending me to their friends and rebooking so they must be very happy with the service i am delivering. If you want to be successful this has to be the place to learn.I was on the course with 5 other students and 2 of them had completed their level 2 nvq but were not confident to work, I was a complete novice so initially i did feel i was out of my depth but both Emma and Sid reassured me that by the end of the week I would be brilliant and they were right. They have also supported me with creating a web site, choosing the right products and giving me the courage to ditch my staff, my salon has been relaunched with their help and going from strength to strength whereas before my staff had it on its backside.All I can say is give them a call the only regret you will have is not calling them sooner!!!!!!

I also went to the cobra academy for a barbering course and agree that Sid is fantastic!!! Couldn't recommend him enough.

Well, where do I start?

I have noticed on other forums and threads that some people have been so negative about fast track courses, especially the COBRA Hair Academy in Nottingham. I bet those of you who have been negative have never even been there.

I am former military and also worked for another government agency and have spent many years as an instructor/tutor. I have never seen anyone with as much passion as Sid Sottung. People will ask the question 'What can you learn in 5 days?' All I can say is, with Sid teaching you, you will learn loads. And not just that you will come away with so much confidence!

Before September this year I had never even held a pair of hair clippers. After completing the Mens Contemporary Barbering Course, I haven't looked back. It was that good I have now completed all courses that COBRA has to offer.

An amazing place to learn. All I can say is, don't knock what you haven't tried!!

Thanks to Sid and COBRA for my future in the hair industry. If only half the people in the industry had your PASSION. :lol:

Hmm it seems a bit odd that the 2 new posters above (1 post each) have suddenly joined this thread - gushing about Cobra!

Well, where do I start?

I have noticed on other forums and threads that some people have been so negative about fast track courses, especially the COBRA Hair Academy in Nottingham. I bet those of you who have been negative have never even been there.

I am former military and also worked for another government agency and have spent many years as an instructor/tutor. I have never seen anyone with as much passion as Sid Sottung. People will ask the question 'What can you learn in 5 days?' All I can say is, with Sid teaching you, you will learn loads. And not just that you will come away with so much confidence!

Before September this year I had never even held a pair of hair clippers. After completing the Mens Contemporary Barbering Course, I haven't looked back. It was that good I have now completed all courses that COBRA has to offer.

An amazing place to learn. All I can say is, don't knock what you haven't tried!!

Thanks to Sid and COBRA for my future in the hair industry. If only half the people in the industry had your PASSION. :lol:

No offence, but those bits I have bolded...

1. You've now completed all the courses Cobra has to offer? Great. Even my most junior members of staff have an NVQ Level 2 in Hairdressing. Have you? It seems to me that Cobra aren't a registered center offering real qualifications via Habia, the UK Governments Hair and Beauty Industry Standards Authority.

2. "If only half the people in the industry had your PASSION"? You only picked up your comb and learned to shampoo 12 weeks ago. How many people do you know in our industry for you to make such a comment?

Last edited by a moderator:
i cannot comment on cobra , as i did my nvq's at college over 2 yrs full time, now a days the courses are a lot shorter ,
to the OP i would have a look at your local colleges and really make sure you research all the different training schools before you decide x

Francesco Group HQ offer private courses in the midlands and also have joined forces with a few midlands colleges now and offer academys for NVQ courses.

Check them out as Francesco group has a very good reputation and their education is second to none.

Hmm it seems a bit odd that the 2 new posters above (1 post each) have suddenly joined this thread - gushing about Cobra!

I can only speak for myself about the time I spent at COBRA. As I have said in other threads, everyone has a choice where they learn and due to the length of the course COBRA suited my needs.

I thought i would reply to this thread , in regards for a hair academy.
I would highly highly recommed Cobra hair acadmey in nottingham !! I went on the course not noing how to cut hair or the hair structure and the chemistry behind it all.

After the 5 days of being there i walked out of the acadmey a qualified barber noing everything !! How to cut , greet cutomers , wash hair in the correct way , give the client styles , and with confidence. This is coming from a younge women with very little confidence to beaming with pride and confidence from doing this course.

I now run my own bussiness , very popular in fact. There was a younge man on the course i was on over a year ago now , that was from college and he also said he felt him being at college was a waste of time , as being on the cutting course with sid gave him the education , the skill and confidence he didnt have at college doing an nvq level 2 !!

He is also got his very own bussiness to !!
A friend of mine also went on this course b4 i enrolled onto it , and she couldnt praise Sid enough !!

At end of day you go on recomendation's on course's how good they are and what sort of quality education you get. you are in a class of 6+ were you get that quality time with sid for questions , let him show you techniques etc.. In college you hardly get that as they have a class of 25- 30+ students to teach !! Lack of education in college :rolleyes:

I my self was a college student doing nail technology at college , i was there 3 months b4 i packed in due to other students in the class and also lack of education, I since then went on and paid privately and learnt so much in space of a few days then what i did at college !

So please dont disrespect the acadmey if you havent actually been on the courses nor no anyone whos done the course's , due to your " self belive , that you cant learn to cut hair in 5 days" , PROOF is in the pudding my geeklets :) , we are walking proofs that a 5 day course you do learn , you get the education you need , and learn to cut hair.

**** just to add to , also check there website out and read the fantastic reviews!!! *****

Last edited:
I thought i would reply to this thread , in regards for a hair academy.
I would highly highly recommed Cobra hair acadmey in nottingham !! I went on the course not noing how to cut hair or the hair structure and the chemistry behind it all.

After the 5 days of being there i walked out of the acadmey a qualified barber noing everything !! How to cut , greet cutomers , wash hair in the correct way , give the client styles , and with confidence. This is coming from a younge women with very little confidence to beaming with pride and confidence from doing this course.

I now run my own bussiness , very popular in fact. There was a younge man on the course i was on over a year ago now , that was from college and he also said he felt him being at college was a waste of time , as being on the cutting course with sid gave him the education , the skill and confidence he didnt have at college doing an nvq level 2 !!

He is also got his very own bussiness to !!
A friend of mine also went on this course b4 i enrolled onto it , and she couldnt praise Sid enough !!

At end of day you go on recomendation's on course's how good they are and what sort of quality education you get. you are in a class of 6+ were you get that quality time with sid for questions , let him show you techniques etc.. In college you hardly get that as they have a class of 25- 30+ students to teach !! Lack of education in college :rolleyes:

I my self was a college student doing nail technology at college , i was there 3 months b4 i packed in due to other students in the class and also lack of education, I since then went on and paid privately and learnt so much in space of a few days then what i did at college !

So please dont disrespect the acadmey if you havent actually been on the courses nor no anyone whos done the course's , due to your " self belive , that you cant learn to cut hair in 5 days" , PROOF is in the pudding my geeklets :) , we are walking proofs that a 5 day course you do learn , you get the education you need , and learn to cut hair.

**** just to add to , also check there website out and read the fantastic reviews!!! *****

"After the 5 days of being there i walked out of the acadmey a qualified barber noing everything !! "

Words cannot explain how sad this makes me feel.

You truly think you walked out after 5 days "noing everything"?

That's an insult to anyone with years and years of experience. It's an insult to Sid too. He obviously took years to learn his craft, yet his students are as good as him after just 5 days?

Jamie Stevens won British Mens Hairdresser of the Year at the British Hairdressing Awards this year. He is a man who 'almost knows everything'.

Please don't insult our trade by assuming it takes only 5 days to master a craft that takes years to perfect.

Especially seeing as you're not qualified to do so.

You have so much to learn. Trust me. One day you will realise that.

Until then, I wish you good luck and prosperity in all you do.

:cry:

"After the 5 days of being there i walked out of the acadmey a qualified barber noing everything !! "

Words cannot explain how sad this makes me feel.

You truly think you walked out after 5 days "noing everything"?

That's an insult to anyone with years and years of experience. It's an insult to Sid too. He obviously took years to learn his craft, yet his students are as good as him after just 5 days?

Jamie Stevens won British Mens Hairdresser of the Year at the British Hairdressing Awards this year. He is a man who 'almost knows everything'.

Please don't insult our trade by assuming it takes only 5 days to master a craft that takes years to perfect.

Especially seeing as you're not qualified to do so.

You have so much to learn. Trust me. One day you will realise that.

Until then, I wish you good luck and prosperity in all you do.

:cry:

Oh for real?? You think you are qualified to the same standard as us that trained for years? And have years or experience all in 5 days? Like has been said it's sad,

Where is that wall with the bang head sign here on?!? Im going to use it!

Oh for real?? You think you are qualified to the same standard as us that trained for years? And have years or experience all in 5 days? Like has been said it's sad,

Where is that wall with the bang head sign here on?!? Im going to use it!

Let's just bang our heads together and save us both the trouble of finding the wall.

:lol:

Let's just bang our heads together and save us both the trouble of finding the wall.

:lol:

Hehe sounds like a plan!! Then I'm off to learn brain surgery....5 day special course!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back