Can you recommend a Hair Academy??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe sounds like a plan!! Then I'm off to learn brain surgery....5 day special course!!

I will anesthetise you for the op. I'm booked on a course next week, starts Wednesday. So perhaps I can pencil you in for the following Monday? Does that fit with you, or are you busy on your "learn Mandarin in just one day" lecture?

LOL :hug:

Really, I should stop here. You're a bad influence!

;)

I will anesthetise you for the op. I'm booked on a course next week, starts Wednesday. So perhaps I can pencil you in for the following Monday? Does that fit with you, or are you busy on your "learn Mandarin in just one day" lecture?

LOL :hug:

Really, I should stop here. You're a bad influence!

;)

Yes I am but so are you chuck, and yes I'm free!!.......why have I got the voice in my head of Mr humphreys? Lol x

No offence, but those bits I have bolded...

1. You've now completed all the courses Cobra has to offer? Great. Even my most junior members of staff have an NVQ Level 2 in Hairdressing. Have you? It seems to me that Cobra aren't a registered center offering real qualifications via Habia, the UK Governments Hair and Beauty Industry Standards Authority.

2. "If only half the people in the industry had your PASSION"? You only picked up your comb and learned to shampoo 12 weeks ago. How many people do you know in our industry for you to make such a comment?

1. Sorry, no I don't have an NVQ level 2, but what I do have is my own business earning more money than your junior teamaker!

2. Well actually I've been using a comb and shampooing at lot longer than 12 weeks. And as for knowing people in the business, well, there's my Uncle's Mark & Brian and my two cousins Tony & Craig (don't know Toni & Guy though)..............oh yeah there's fat Bob the Slob who owns the Barbers shop just down the road and he oozes passion.

So your not qualified and you have your own business?

And without you being a junior you really don't know what it's like or how to run a salon, good juniors/assistants run the salon from the minute they walk in that door at 8.30 till 8.30 at night!

So your not qualified and you have your own business?

And without you being a junior you really don't know what it's like or how to run a salon, good juniors/assistants run the salon from the minute they walk in that door at 8.30 till 8.30 at night!

If I'm not qualified how I have managed to get insurance then?

I said I had my own business, but I never said it was a salon!!

lets keeps things nice kids :wink2:

lets keeps things nice kids :wink2:

That's fair enough, but I had a thread removed last night that wasn't anything like these that have been posted, so just thought I'd test their sense of humour a bit.

I have been working in a barber shop for 15 months now and i am still learning !!!!!! If you have learned how to be a barber after 5 days then i take my hat off to you :)) because it took me longer than that to learn how to do the neck line lol xx and i had 1 to 1 training off the boss whos been doing it for 30 years maybe im just a slow learner but i think there is no way you can become a barber after 5 days unless you was born to do it ofcorse :))) xx

I have been working in a barber shop for 15 months now and i am still learning !!!!!! If you have learned how to be a barber after 5 days then i take my hat off to you :)) because it took me longer than that to learn how to do the neck line lol xx and i had 1 to 1 training off the boss whos been doing it for 30 years maybe im just a slow learner but i think there is no way you can become a barber after 5 days unless you was born to do it ofcorse :))) xx

Wow if i would have known that there was a magic man out there who could have learn me EVERYTHINK in 5 days i would have snaped him up lol because for the first 6 months i would shake from head to toe cry my heart out when i got home saying i carnt do it!!!

Last edited:
Righto, so now were being told NVQ is the only way? jesus christ.

ive got my NVQ level 2, and it was THE worst time of my life, i went into it knowing nothing, just loving hair. the course is 2 years yes? not for me! the lady who ran the academy was also my boss in salon, so she decided it would make her look brilliant if i passed in a year. so instead of having time to practise and get things right before moving on to the next section i got told it was perfect first time and had to carry on, i had many of the sections removed from my course and replaced with pointless things such as team building. oh and the added pressure of "if you dont pass in your time given your out of a job". so after 11 months of major agro i finally passed..to then get told 11 months wasnt good enough, and lost my job anyway. you'd of thought my contract would cover me..nope. every loop hole coverd, the lot. so after 11 months of utter crap im left unable to provide a propper quality service, jobless and no confidence to even attempt to get back into it.
oh and i wont even get onto the teachers because half of them couldnt even make a sentance. the reason they are now teachers is because no one would pay them any money to get a haircut anyway.

so i thought i know, ill do some courses get my skills back up, maybe get my confidence back and i stumbled upon COBRA, obviously being a country boy a big city is intimidating and i thought about the whole scam side of it but i just went for it. invested in every course, 4 weeks with Sid has literally changed my life. Granted there was alot i knew from NVQ but there was also a hell of alot i didnt, the way Sid runs his course is intense, but it needs to be. the weeks and courses flew by, there was no time for the insecurities to sneak up in the back of my mind, and after every course my ego and confidence got bigger. since i left ive got all my confidence back, im happy being in this industry, i feel confident in every move i make doing someones hair, where as before id be grabbing the closest person to me asking for help after every snip of the scissors.
the way NVQ courses CAN be run is worthless, im not sayin pointless. But im definatly on COBRA's side here. and ive learnt your only as good as your last cut, and that one could be perfect. but DO BETTER, strive to do your best with every client, its not just "fast track, cheers for your money, do this, cya later" its changed me as a person. rather than the attitude of NVQ that is "yeah i guess thatll do"
Obviously saying you learn everything in the 5 days is rediculas, but it sets you up, gives you the confidence and sends you on your way to be one of the greatest, if it wasnt for this course id be working in a co-op in some crappy uniform dealing with miserable customers, rather than wearing a flash shirt and tie, fancy shoes, looking professional and now doing what i love doing.

and the fact that people are getting slammed about giving there opinions and expieriances on a course thats genuinely brilliant is exactly what i hate about the buisness, let people have there say and grow up.

Ok enough is enough.

I apologise to the OP because I have closed this thread. I hope you got some good information to go on.

I dont know what it is about Cobra that seems to result in threads going pear shaped. I am also quite concerned that all of a sudden we get new members joining and without even a hi and introduction thread, they jump into this thread. I wonder if they have been encouraged in some way!

Please check the site rules and post as you would be posted to and also lets have balanced discussions.

We are all entitled to our opinions provided they are balanced and constructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back