Cancellation fee

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forevervodka

Reaction score
I booked a client recently for an entire pamper day for her and a friend and it's my policy to take credit card details to secure the booking in these instances.

I inform all bookings of this kind verbally about my 48hr cancellation policy, and their confirmation email contains a reminder of the policy, with a link to my website with the details.

The client & friend were a no show earlier in the week for their pamper day, when I called the lady she was very apologetic said she was unwell and I advised I'd usually charge the full treatment fees, especially as I was unable to take any other bookings all day as she'd reserved my services and those of a second therapist. She seemed really genuine and she rebooked, but failed to turn up again or ring, and did not answer her phone when I called to see if she was coming.

.....this has cost me 2 full days business, plus I'd paid a temp on both days to complete some treatments as there was two of them.

My policy states no shows for pamper days are charged at 100% - thankfully I've never had to enforce the policy, and it acts more as a deterrent.....why do I feel so guilty at the prospect of charging her card?????

What would you do?!?

I would charge her card but be prepared for a chargeback is a debit card and if it's a credit card be prepared for them to take it up with you as they will probably reimburse there client as soon as they ring and say they didn't have the service.

Once is ok for the benefit of th doubt. I would sent her a letter advising you will be taking full payment as she has failed to show up twice, and that she was fully aware of the cancellation policy! Mind you, it's a dead cert she will deffo not be back after that. Suppose that's the problem with charging fees :(

I hope that the credit card details are genuine, I think that would be my main worry.

If she is aware of your policy, then you can charge her. I think in future you should take a deposit esp. after the first no show.

So far I have emailed her to "check she is ok" and advise there will be a fee, I'm naively hoping she will get in touch- even if it's to grumble....

I was thinking I'd send her an invoice by recorded delivery, giving her the opportunity to pay 50% of the treatment costs if she pays within 14 days, and stating if it remains unpaid in 30 days the full amount will be charged to her card.

one of the reasons I'm dithering is that the full rate is a substantial amount of money - Even though I've lost out, I just feel bad :I

I'll defo be taking a deposit for this type of service in the future.

Good idea, but like has been said she could have given false numbers or could even clear her bank account if she knows that in 30 days time you'll be taking money. Depends on how genuine she is , you will probably be able to tell from her reply!

Like someone else has said, even if the card details are correct and you charged the full amount to the card, the client is quite within her rights to do are chargeback due to the sale of goods and services act. I would have a look at CAB, there may be a loophole around it but i myself have used chargebacks before to be refunded for services i have not received. It really is an awful situation and i hope in future you take a non refundable deposit!

Like everyone has said sadly it will probably end up with a chargeback...
It's so unfair as you have been very trusting and gave her the benefit of the doubt and rebooked her.
Haven't had a few chargebacks I no longer accept deposit by credit card if a new client books long treatments I take deposit by bank transfer or give them the option to come in and pay in person.
I have given up on trying to charge cancellation fees because the bottom line is most people don't want to pay it so if it's a no-show then I just simply add their contact details to my list of DNS (do not see!) and that seems to work best for me.

Good luck and I hope you do get something back from her.

Jack

Thankfully, taking card details seems to be enough of a deterrent for most of my clients to be considerate about our cancellation policy, so I've never had to enforce it.

I just can't believe after the conversation I had with her when she rebooked that she'd be so inconsiderate not to let me know. (I'd even told her that I'd need to employ additional staff for the day- AGAIN). I even had a call from her the day before asking for another treatment to be added!?!!

I'm loathed to take deposits by bank transfer or otherwise, as I think it can be inconvenient and off putting.

My biggest fear is that she'll slander me all over the internet for charging such a hefty fee....so I think I feel better at charging 50%, which at least will cover the wages I've paid out, and cross my fingers that the card details are correct, and she's not brass necked enough to chargeback.

Hrrrruuummmphhhhh :I

An update:

Spoke to my card payment company, who said that if a chargeback was claimed I might not have a leg to stand on if a payment is taken when the card holder isnt present - despite what T&C's I have. They agreed this wasnt really fair, but rules is rules :(

I decided that I would risk the charge back and take just 50% payment as a goodwill gesture - however, the card details that she has given me to secure the booking are dodgy....even MORE infuriating as it makes me think that she must of known she wasn't going to turn up!!!

So, I've sent an invoice & our T&C's to her address by recorded delivery today, stating she can have a 50% discount if paid within 14 days, but I expect that she'll probably ignore this.

As of today I've been requesting a 50% booking fee by bank transfer for all services over a certain amount....and the few customers I've booked haven't even sniffed at this.

Although I'm out of pocket, It looks like I've learned a valuable lesson!!

Sorry that you have had this experience. But thanks for sharing it so that we could learn from your mistakes too.

Did you know this lady beforehand? Might it be someone that is trying to damage your business?

Sorry that you have had this experience. But thanks for sharing it so that we could learn from your mistakes too.

Did you know this lady beforehand? Might it be someone that is trying to damage your business?

I was thinking the exact same thing!

The client went to the bother of adding another treatment the day before and then can't even let you know she can't make it? She can't have forgotten about it the next day? Surely?!

To have booked you out for the FULL day, TWICE, not turned up on either AND given you false card details, it seems as tho she may have been up to something.

Sounds like sabotage to me!

Latest posts

Back