'Capping' (NNO) How much is enough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apex73

Reaction score
Hi knowledgeable Geeks, :)
a wee question for you...
At the moment I'm working on my natural nail overlays using
Gel & Fiberglass,
and I'm unsure about the 'capping' stage of things.
How much is enough?
Do you simply apply product to the very edge of the f/e, or do you go over onto the underside?
Can you sucessfully apply a nno to short nails or do you really need a bit of free edge there?
I can get away with using a form with Gel (a wee bit messy, lol), but what about with the Fiberglass?
Any and all help greatly appreciated :hug:

aww heck...
my index finger has peeling from the f/e already (within a matter of hours
),
:grr:
Is this a capping problem or are my nails just too bendy to cope with anything other that l&p?

Sorry if these are daft questons x

I am new to nails but you have to cap the free edge because as happened to you it will peel, and it allows water and crap to get under the gel causing it to lift....as a beginner to gel i was taught to lightly run your brush over the free edge before curing....
correct me if im wrong master geeks..
Ruthy

Ruth I think to get a stronger finish, you are actually better using a nail form and going a couple of mm onto this longer that the natural free edge (which allows for some filing/finishing). I am not that successful with nno, so i could be wrong.. but I am sure this is what suggested to me many moons ago.

Hi knowledgeable Geeks, :)
a wee question for you...
At the moment I'm working on my natural nail overlays using
Gel & Fiberglass,
and I'm unsure about the 'capping' stage of things.
How much is enough?
Do you simply apply product to the very edge of the f/e, or do you go over onto the underside?
I have taken this to mean cover zone 1, curl over free edge and continue onto the underside of zone1.
If I have understood properly, then my answer would be no - I was taught to cover zone 1 and then run my brush along the edge to cap (with gel) not to go under. obviously I cover zones 2 & 3 aswell :lol: .
Can you sucessfully apply a nno to short nails or do you really need a bit of free edge there?
When you say 'a bit of free edge' do you mean beyond bitten or beyond the fingertip?
I wouldn't do a NNO on a bitten nail especially with gel (could just be me).
If the free edge doesn't extend slightly past the fingertip I find NNO with gel quite tricky as it becomes hard to cap effectively when the free edge is resting on skin - so I prefer L&P for these as you don't need to cap with L&P.
I can get away with using a form with Gel (a wee bit messy, lol), but what about with the Fiberglass?
Any and all help greatly appreciated :hug:

If I am wrong in anyway, please feel free to correct me - I love to learn!

Latest posts

Back