Carpel Tunnel Syndrome?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coco.

Reaction score
Hi, just wondered if anybody has suffered with this.
I've had a slight problem with pain in my elbow and wrist and fingers for a couple of years but it's seems to be getting worse and worse.

My elbow is painful, like a niggling pain and it runs down my arm into my wrist and down to my fingers, it feels like when you've got sciatica down your leg.

I've just googled my symptoms and it sounds like cts

My other problem is that im due to start Hairdressing level 2 in September and I'm concerned this is going to make it worse, I'm about to pay almost £2,000 for my course and then another £3,000 for level 3 and im Wondering if I won't be able to do it physically with this problem.

I don't get it all like time probably 50% of the time, I've booked a doctors appointment to get it checked out

So basically I just wondered if anybody has ever suffered with it also?

Hello, my stepdad had it in both hands, it got so bad, to the point he would be carrying a red hot cuppa and it was spilling all over his hands and he couldn't feel a thing his hands were so numb, he had both wrists operated on and not had a problem since. I get it sometimes too my fingers will go numb for around 5 minutes, I've been to see the doctor who says it's not bad enough to do anything about and to come back if it gets worse, 2 years later it's still the same so it doesn't bother me too much, I'm a hairdresser and it doesn't effect me although mine isn't half as bad as some peoples!! But yes you've done the right thing getting it checked over by your GP x

Hello, my stepdad had it in both hands, it got so bad, to the point he would be carrying a red hot cuppa and it was spilling all over his hands and he couldn't feel a thing his hands were so numb, he had both wrists operated on and not had a problem since. I get it sometimes too my fingers will go numb for around 5 minutes, I've been to see the doctor who says it's not bad enough to do anything about and to come back if it gets worse, 2 years later it's still the same so it doesn't bother me too much, I'm a hairdresser and it doesn't effect me although mine isn't half as bad as some peoples!! But yes you've done the right thing getting it checked over by your GP x

I'm the same I've got carpel tunnel syndrome aswell, I was diagnosed two years ago and I haven't had many problems since, my fingers still get numb but it's not really much of an issue yet. I've heard the surgery is very very simple so if it deteriorates I can just have the surgery done no dramas.
Sometimes it gets really bad at night and shoots up to my elbow but CTS is usually only bad at night time x

It's so annoying and can't think of anything I've done to make it flare up

I had cts in both wrists. Before op I took painkillers from docs diclofenac made it bearable. I also wore wrist splints that you can get from boots. Since op no pain unless I do something which vibrates like mowing the lawn.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had it when pregnant, it was bloody awful! X

HairBy Amanda

My partner has had it in both hands & had the operation on both... (Separate times of course ;)) Apparently it is more common in women, his Mum, Sister & brothers have all suffered with it too.

I don't think it took too long to heal but, op or no op Id imagine it will effect your course slightly.

Hope you get it sorted :)

Xx

Thanks for the replies, I'll see what the doctor says on Friday

At least there are things that can be done to help :)

I've had both carpal tunnels fixed, no problems now :biggrin:

I have CTS, too. I've had it on and off for years. Just recently though, my thumb and forefinger get so numb.

I did some research and found some exercises to help with CTS. I've been doing them for a few weeks and things are better.

I hope it all works out for you! :)

I've been to the doctors and she thinks it's probably coming from my neck, I've got to have nerve conduction tests, a scan and she's putting me forward for physio

And she's recommended doing Pilates and swimming and taking ibuprofen

So hopefully we can find out what it is, it's a lot better today and yesterday but I can still feel something like a dull ache

Just an update, I've been diagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrome and will be having surgery around the week before Christmas.
Apparently I have it quite severe so injections and physio arnt possible for me.
I'm just glad it's all getting sorted and haven't had to wait long for tests and appointments or been fobbed off :)

I started developing it when I was working @ a barber shop doing repetitive wrist rotation while using clippers all day for a long time. It sucked! I went back to salon & it cleared up. My clients that have it use a wrist tensor bandage type thing to ease straining movements of the wrist especially cashiers & deli workers. You may be doing something repetitively that's causing it.....typing a lot sometimes erks the same wrist I had problems with but never stays! Salon has never bothered it because you are usually doing different wrist movements for different services to my experience but a long thick blowdry with a round brush might!

I for same symptoms where I couldn't even use my hands to open or cut anything.
Guess what !
Go to yoga and find a ciropractor !!
He clicked them back into place and I go once a week to make sure they in.
Then once month as majntinence.

I too scared have operation.
Yoga strengthens ur arms and wrists helped me so much.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Latest posts

Back