Cat owners advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
I've just moved house and I have 2 cats n when I moved 3 years ago, after 3 days of my tom going nuts n peeing everywhere, i caved in n let them out early. I did the butter on paws trick n they came back n were fine.
Any how's, this time I asked at the pet shop when I bought a litter tray n she told me I had to keep them in for 6 weeks!
I've moved about 3-4 mins walk away which is in their walking radius, altho I think they walk in the other direction normally. They both took to the litter tray immediately but after 3 days again, my tom has just peed on the stairs, aaaarrgh!
Any advice?
Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

They are just marking territory. Perhaps have a couple of litter trays around the house? In case they get a bit confused and don't make it all the way down the other end of the house. I was worried mine would do that when I moved house a couple of months ago, but thankfully no accidents. He did go around sniffing absolutely everything for a while though lol

PS - what's the butter on paws trick? That sounds interesting lol

My cat always comes back, sometimes he stays with my sister for the weekend if I go away and she lets him out!

I know I'm lucky, I kept him in 2 hours when we moved. It he refuses to use a litter tray so I feel bad making him hold it for days!

Butter on the paws trick is meant to be goood!

You put butter on their paws and as they walk away it transfers to the ground n they can smell their way back ☺
So last nite my boy (who incidentally I've have for 6 years n thought was a girl until 2 weeks ago! So bella became bellamy), decided to pee on my door mat too. It's like he's peeing his way towards the door in an attempt to get me to open it!

6 weeks is excessive and I'd be wary taking any advice from a pet shop assistant. Seriously, what do they know about animal behaviour?
Before 6 weeks are up I imagine they'd be rather depressed if they're used to going outside normally.

Is your cat very young/neutered?

When I moved I let my two out after 3 days just before their next meal was due so I knew they wouldn't wander very far. I did this for a few days building up their time outside gradually so that they could get their bearings.

My boy is very much an outdoor cat. Hed spend most of the day out n some nights he'd stay out n a couple of nights he'd sleep on my bed. He's about 8 I think. My girl is 3 ish but when she goes out its in the garden n a few houses either side. She's a home bird ☺
I think much more n bella-my is gonna tear my arm off n beat me around the head with it lol

You can spray the place he's going to the toilet with something citrus scented or with pepper because they don't like it, they don't go there.

If he came back fine, do you think it's worth letting him out a bit? I've never moved a cat, so i don't have any personal experience xx

Thing is, after 2 weeks they might not come back. I think his toilet habits are going to be what decides it. He's now took to emptying virtually all the litter out of the tray BEFORE he goes!
Cats are clever n I'm sure the little monkey is playing me! ☺

You can get little trays that look like cat carriers with enclosed sides. Gives them more privacy and stops the stuff spraying out everywhere.

I've just adopted a cat today so I'm going to have to think about this amongst other problems. I'll post a pic shortly.

I have just bought this litter tray after years of cleaning up litter and pee (my cat always missed :() it is fantastic! It took my cats a few days to get used to it as they have never used a cat flap before so used to sit in there tapping at the door trying to figure out how to get out (funny to watch!). It keeps the smell in and no more mess to clear up.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=776&pf_id=8935

Also try using feliway spray or plug in as it is recommended for stressful situations such as moving house or traveling in a car. It a special pheromone which calms cats anxiety. Vets sell it but probably cheaper on the web and amazon.

My cat did pee on my bed last night arrrgh ......she does it for attention when she gets jealous of the other cats so I will be ordering more feliway tonight!

I have just bought this litter tray after years of cleaning up litter and pee (my cat always missed :() it is fantastic! It took my cats a few days to get used to it as they have never used a cat flap before so used to sit in there tapping at the door trying to figure out how to get out (funny to watch!). It keeps the smell in and no more mess to clear up.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=776&pf_id=8935

Also try using feliway spray or plug in as it is recommended for stressful situations such as moving house or traveling in a car. It a special pheromone which calms cats anxiety. Vets sell it but probably cheaper on the web and amazon.

My cat did pee on my bed last night arrrgh ......she does it for attention when she gets jealous of the other cats so I will be ordering more feliway tonight!

I was advised to take the lid of mine by the vet, cats sense of smell is 100x ours so what we smell imagine what they smell. I've also had to change my litter as they are allergic! X

I've just moved house and I have 2 cats n when I moved 3 years ago, after 3 days of my tom going nuts n peeing everywhere, i caved in n let them out early. I did the butter on paws trick n they came back n were fine.
Any how's, this time I asked at the pet shop when I bought a litter tray n she told me I had to keep them in for 6 weeks!
I've moved about 3-4 mins walk away which is in their walking radius, altho I think they walk in the other direction normally. They both took to the litter tray immediately but after 3 days again, my tom has just peed on the stairs, aaaarrgh!
Any advice?

Has he been neutered? They can do this on new territory - a lot

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back