Caution urged after hairdresser dies from Hydrogen Peroxide explosion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hat

Reaction score
Parents of Jennifer Mitchell, 19, a mobile stylist from Shaftesbury, Dorset, are calling for hairdressing professionals to take extra care when carrying around hydrogen peroxide, following her death earlier this month. The teenager is suspected to have died when she lit up a cigarette in her car that contained the chemical.

Bob Mitchell and wife Pauline believe the chemical, commonly used for dyeing and bleaching the hair, may have leaked and caused the fatal explosion.
Mrs Mitchell told the Bournemouth Echo: "We want to warn people how volatile hydrogen peroxide is, even if it is kept in the boot of a car - Jennie's friends have all said they carry it."

“The hydrogen peroxide had ventilated in the car,” adds Mr Mitchell. “She opened the window, which introduced oxygen. Jennie was a smoker and it’s likely that she lit or had alight a cigarette.”

A full inquest into the hairdresser’s death is to take place later this year.

Attachments

• hydrogen%20peroxide2.jpg
    hydrogen%20peroxide2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,238
I read about this horrible tragic death in the paper and I was wondering if acetone is as dangerous?
I know that it is completely safe if used correctly,but so is hydrogen peroxide.!!

We do have lots of mobile nail techs on this site,so I would be pleased if someone like Geeg would again clarify safe transportation of our nail products?

I read about this horrible tragic death in the paper and I was wondering if acetone is as dangerous?
I know that it is completely safe if used correctly,but so is hydrogen peroxide.!!

We do have lots of mobile nail techs on this site,so I would be pleased if someone like Geeg would again clarify safe transportation of our nail products?

Acetone vapours could certainly be a fire/explosion hazard in a confined space by the sound of it, National Pollutant Inventory - Acetone: Overview

I'd be especially careful transporting acetone on a hot summer's day too, especially if acetone is left in a hot car for any length of time!

I agree lots of those chemicals we use everyday, are potential dangerous if overheated... I think I remember someone actually having them in a transportable cooler in the car, but again, that's electricity...

I think the best idea is to pack things so you can bring everything with you in and out of houses, so nothing is left to overheat, but I don't know if it's possible, maybe the cooler thing is to prefer then....

I agree lots of those chemicals we use everyday, are potential dangerous if overheated... I think I remember someone actually having them in a transportable cooler in the car, but again, that's electricity...

I think the best idea is to pack things so you can bring everything with you in and out of houses, so nothing is left to overheat, but I don't know if it's possible, maybe the cooler thing is to prefer then....

The cooler is an *excellent* idea though; you can get those portable coolers that plug in to the cigarette lighter; we've used them in the past for keeping cans of fizzy pop cool in the summer but they'd work equally well for hydrogen peroxide and acetone... although I agree you'd be safer bringing them in with you rather than leaving them in the car anyway... as there is always the risk of draining the battery if you leave the cooler on for too long...

Exactly those were in my thoughts... I have one, but only use it to keep food cool in the summer when driving, and as i remember it wasn't even expensive..

Latest posts

Back