Certificates, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexandrax

Reaction score
I have recently left my job and am getting a bit of hassle from my ex employer about certificates, I am an account holder with lash perfect due to putting myself through semi permanent lash training and my ex employer put me through the lala lashes training although she told me take my lala lash certificate at the time she is now hassling me to return it to her as it's 'property of her salon' do I need to return certificate? And if I do will I have to retrain to do my lala lashes? Xx

I don't know if this is correct but I'd say it's yours! Some places say If you leave between X amount of time after training you will have to pay for the course. But I wouldn't have thought she can do that!! But as I said I'm not 100% sure if that's correct xx

This is my first time posting no idea how to work it lol!! Thanks for reply I did not have any form of contract so I'm hoping she has no rights! :)

You could always contact lala lash and explain to them. Maybe you could get a duplicate certificate from them at a small charge then you could give your old boss her cert back and she'd be none wiser. Saves any bad feeling with her.

She is also withholding a certificate from me that I paid half the money for training which now I'm paying over £500 to receive kit open account and new certificate for that training, so I feel that I have paid for my lala lash training xx

I'd just tell her no. It's in your name so it's your certificate. She hasn't a leg to stand on

Exactly. Certificate is for you. If she insist to keep them you can always ask for a duplicate from a trainer - you probably have to pay for it but not much. Your certificates are no use for this lady, she only keeps them to make you pay for duplicates.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'd say a salon owner keeping any certificates with your name on it would be classes as theft.
They have your name on and if you asked the police to help you collect everything with your name on it I'm sure they would.

It is normal for salons to ask for therapists to pay back money for training if they leave quickly after training BUT if you have no contract then they can't expect you to suddenly agree to pay back money.

They also can't use your certificate to continue buying products (ensure you tell the suppliers that you no longer work there and NOT to continue supply them through your certificates & ensure they supply new certificates to prove their therapists are qualified).

Thanks for your help everyone xx

I have recently left my job and am getting a bit of hassle from my ex employer about certificates, I am an account holder with lash perfect due to putting myself through semi permanent lash training and my ex employer put me through the lala lashes training although she told me take my lala lash certificate at the time she is now hassling me to return it to her as it's 'property of her salon' do I need to return certificate? And if I do will I have to retrain to do my lala lashes? Xx

Don't return it to her. It's of no use to her so the best place for it is in your hands.

Seriously there's nothing to be gained from giving a certificate with your name on to someone else.

Defo do not give it back it has ur name on it not the salons and it was u who has trained so it belongs to you! If she continues and u cant deal with the hassle duplicates are £45 and then tell the supplier not to let the salon order as someone else already mentioned

As someone who issued certificates I say the certificate is yours and I would continue to supply you. If your employer paid for the training them anything like that should be in your contract but as you physically attended the training and qualified it's you who has the right to continue with the product...however, I recently had this argument with Calgel, they wanted me to pay for my therapist to retrain, I explained she was already an account holder with them, they replied she would need the permission of her previous employer to continue with them...she had been self employed! I told them where they could stuff their products and went elsewhere. 😄

Isn't it ridiculous when employers try to do this?! The certificate won't be of any benefit to her as it's not in her name, she's withholding it purely out of spite and to make things awkward for you. Don't give it to her! Can you imagine if she tried to take you to court? I doubt she'd get very far and it would cost her a fortune to look very silly!

My ex employer used to do this so it's a touchy subject for me :lol:

This is my first time posting no idea how to work it lol!! Thanks for reply I did not have any form of contract so I'm hoping she has no rights! :)

There's your answer : she didn't give you a contract specifying about having to pay back training / certificates so she has no right to withhold them. (had it have been in a contract you would have had no chance of disputing it)
Keep your certificates, and ask for any others she may have (or get them from the companies you trained with) if she gives you any hassles seek legal advice. (with 30 minutes free advice) ... it may just cost the price of them sending a letter usually £25. Xxxxxx

I had a girl leave last year, we had split the cost of nouveau lash training, and when she left she asked for the certificate off the wall, I gave it her, simple! Certificates should be worked for not just paid for. She did the work, she earned the certificate. I was happy to give it her, hth x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I'd say a salon owner keeping any certificates with your name on it would be classes as theft.
They have your name on and if you asked the police to help you collect everything with your name on it I'm sure they would.

It is normal for salons to ask for therapists to pay back money for training if they leave quickly after training BUT if you have no contract then they can't expect you to suddenly agree to pay back money.

They also can't use your certificate to continue buying products (ensure you tell the suppliers that you no longer work there and NOT to continue supply them through your certificates & ensure they supply new certificates to prove their therapists are qualified).

Completely agree with this!

It's your certificate, your name on it, you did the training, it's yours to keep! She has no right to it, as much as she wouldn't have any right to keep anything else that you own!

If she decides she now wants to charge you for the training, that's a separate issue. But as no contract was signed was for this, not really an issue in my books. Regardless, you have every right to your certificates back. They are your property!x

I have phoned up lash perfect and it is a small fee to regain my certificate so would defiantly be useless to give her it back same with my other training although I think I will fight for my certificates epically after paying half the cost xx

Latest posts

Back