Change of contact lenses resulted in allergic conjunctivitus

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandelionpoppy

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if any other lens wearers have any advice.
I've worn contacts for many years. Way back I was found to have an allergy to preservatives; once this was sorted I've had no problems.
A couple of weeks ago I went for a routine eye test and was told my lenses had been discontinued. They were a Ciba- vision soft monthly lenses, water-based.

I was put onto a silicone-based soft lens. (No preservatives in cleaning solution) At first I thought they were fine, but have now had 2 bouts of what I believe is allergic conjunctivitus.(This is what my eyes look like :eek: tee- hee)
I have an appointment in a week at the optician's (I can't go before then) but thought I'd ask if anyone had any similar experience.

I suppose I'm worried that this will be a case of trial and error, and will mean lots of trips, or the worst thought, I may not be able to wear lenses. I would truly hate that. I'm wearing my glasses now and I really wouldn't want to do it all the time!

I've had this condition for a number of years. Basically, during the day when I'm working and if I'm not out in the evening I wear glasses. But if I'm doing anything sporty or going out I wear contact lenses. I had to dramatically reduce my wear but I can still wear them, just not all the time.

I *hate* wearing glasses though ...

Hi,
I'm a long-term contact lens wearer and I haven't had conjunctivitis but I've had a similar experience - I've worn lenses for years and was told a couple of months ago that my lenses have been discontinued. I thought okay no problem, they gave me some samples of alternatives to try but I can't get on with any of them! Either they dry my eyes out in 10 minutes, or I can't focus properly with them - I've been back several times and really persevered with it but have had to accept that for some reason I can't wear lenses anymore. I have been wearing my glasses permanently for about 3 weeks now and I don't like it but I'm getting used to it slowly!
Hope you get yours sorted ASAP!

Poor you. It's horrible when things go wrong with the lenses.

After a horror experience when I was 20 with a cheap optician not measuring my eye properly and starving it of oxygen, I can only wear daily disposables now - Acuvue dailies. :(

Everytime I see my optician he tries me out with a new type of all singing all dancing lens but I never get on with them. I hope that my Acuvue's never get changed :(

I'm far too vain to wear my glasses fulltime so fully feel your pain xx

Also, I don't know if you'd be interested, but my optician now, offers a sleep in lens, which you wear to bed and it shapes your eye when you sleep and it means your lens free for the next full day.... no idea how it works, but again, I'm not suitable for this. PM if you want me to send you a link ot his website!

If I was younger, and NHS recommended laser eye, I'd do that, but I hear too many horror stories about it in my job!!

Good luck

Thanks so much, Geek friends.
I'm sorry to hear you've all had problems of one sort or the other.

I'll go next week, and hope that the next trial is successful. I suspect I'm too old for surgery, although for the first time I am tempted. I am not at all happy with the glasses only option; apart from how I look, I find them incredibly cumbersome. Oh well, fingers crossed!

I've had a similar experience. Couple of Christmases ago I had an allergic reaction to some drops (they changed an ingredient or 2) and I can't have things with preservatives now either. I was in the dark for a few days trying to see out of my eyes and my optician told me I should have gone to a&e and was lucky I didn't lose my eyesight!

Anyway I'm on 2 weekly acuvue oasys now with preservative free fizzy lens cleaner stuff (? ) and I'm getting on really well with them.

I hope yours get better! x

I could not get on with lenses at all, despite which ones I tried!

Had laser eye surgery and never looked back. Fantastic results and would recommend if suitable for you.

Just an update, in the hope that it might be useful to some of you.

It looks like it may be the solutions rather than the lenses. Early days, but here's hoping.

It might be worth your while re-visiting your practitioner if any of you had been told it was the lenses.

Latest posts

Back