Changing black hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tez85

Reaction score
Help please....

I've got a client that wants purple hair. She's currently got natural black roots but she's also been dying it herself black. I've taken a few strand to test out. So far I've not managed to achieve purple just a reddish purple. Advice would be fantastic. I'm using wella koleston colours

You’ll need to remove the build up of artificial colour first so try using a colour reducer. Is the client wanting a dark plum type colour or a bright vibrant purple?

What level is her natural?

You’ll need to remove the build up of artificial colour first so try using a colour reducer. Is the client wanting a dark plum type colour or a bright vibrant purple?

What level is her natural?
She's really dark, about a base of 3/2. I've done on the strands a double bleach, her hair has stood up to it brilliant, still nice and strong, but I don't want to go again. It's still a strong golden brown. How would you advise to strip that down more please? And yes she's wanting a pretty vibrant colour.

If she wants it vibrant, you’re probably going to have to remove all the artificial colour then lift it to at least an 8, then tone it to neutral and finally apply your target purple.

Help please....

I've got a client that wants purple hair. She's currently got natural black roots but she's also been dying it herself black. I've taken a few strand to test out. So far I've not managed to achieve purple just a reddish purple. Advice would be fantastic. I'm using wella koleston colours
My best advice as a wella user is don't use the 55/66 or 44/66 to achieve purple as they are still very red.
If you want a true purple I would add 0/88 mix tone to your colour.
But you will definitely need a lighter base to work on.
Your other option would be framesi light and shine 5.66 which lifts and tones the same time, even on coloured hair. It comes in two separate tubes, so when it fades of you just use the tone part not the lift part to re colour.

My best advice as a wella user is don't use the 55/66 or 44/66 to achieve purple as they are still very red.
If you want a true purple I would add 0/88 mix tone to your colour.
But you will definitely need a lighter base to work on.
Your other option would be framesi light and shine 5.66 which lifts and tones the same time, even on coloured hair. It comes in two separate tubes, so when it fades of you just use the tone part not the lift part to re colour.
I've managed to achieve a purple (finally!) (with the hair I'm trying) using /66 and mixed with 9/0 with a dash of /01 in the mix. It's come out lovely but it's dark still where she would love it a bit more vibrant. If I used the /88 would this be more vibrant for her? Or if I increased the 9/0 + ash do you recon this would make a bigger improvement?

I've managed to achieve a purple (finally!) (with the hair I'm trying) using /66 and mixed with 9/0 with a dash of /01 in the mix. It's come out lovely but it's dark still where she would love it a bit more vibrant. If I used the /88 would this be more vibrant for her? Or if I increased the 9/0 + ash do you recon this would make a bigger improvement?
Try 10/0 with your mix tones.
Be careful with 0/88 as it's very dense. So if you put too much in, it will be dark.
Remember if you use majority of mix tones, it will fade rather quickly.

Latest posts

Back