Charging family and close friends?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I give a discount to my mum and sisters, as my mum insists on paying me and says I'm not a charity I need to earn a living and she would have to pay more if she went else where.

Normally about £10 off the full price depending on treatment.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using SalonGeek mobile app

I dont do anything for free, i only give my mother in law and my mum discounts and charge them £5 i give my close friend a discount but not by much i charge her £15 but if she wants nail art etc i cap it at 15 as she can bring me alot of clients, she knows more people round here than i do but other than that everyone else pays full price xx

I feel pretty tight now...
I don't charge my grandma but she always gives me money which i dont like taking off her. My two best friendsand my step sister have there own price list they get 25% off what i charge "normal clients" doesn't take that much off really

I wouldn't dream of charging my mum or my sister. My friends respect the fact that this is my business even though it is not full time and have never asked or expected any discount.

I would never charge my mum, mum in law or sister in laws. My close friends (ive got about 3) get it free with me , but can't have a busy day/time an get sacked off in place of a real client! Or if booked in with another therapist they pay to cover their wages etc so usually about a tenner depending on what it is! But I use these friends as a training model, back you on reception if people are off sick etc! Plus they rave about it to other people!

Other "friends" get a discount depending on who it is and what they are having. Never much tho, or they get a free brow shape or something! Your running a business and can't give people a discount just ciz they kniw you. Would they do it for? ?????

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm so pleased Iv come across this post. I'm finding it really hard getting prices together for friends etc. I only qualified a couple of mths ago. My sis has quite a lot of money so she pays £7.50 per tan. Which I normally charge £15 so really half price. I think I will just give her 50% off everything as she's going to want lots of treatments. I will give my mum for free. My bf seems to offer my beauty services for free to his mum. Nan n sis. Iv not done them yet but I'm gonna have to drive to them n the nearest is a 20 min drive away. So I just think free is ridiculous. I keep tellin him its a business not jus a hobby. N then there's my friend I was only charging her £5 each for a spray tan n eyelash tint. Then she said her bfs mum wanted eyelash tint. Under arm wax n leg wax n she wants it reduced. So only charged her £10 for the 3 treatments. But now next wk my friend wants another tan n gel tips. N in sept another tan n Infills n her bfs mum gel tips n leg wax. I can't keep doing them for £5 each can I. As i gotta drive 20 mins yo them too. Plus I don't even know her bfs mum. Met her the first time when I gave her the treatments. So not actually sure why I would be givin her any kind of discount. But I get embarrassed charging. I dunno why as I don't need there business lol I think they think there helping me out lol.

Family members, and I only have a handful - stepmother, sisters and a niece - all half price

2 close friends that have a done a lot for me over the years - both half price (one of them is a hairdresser and essentially we both charge each other half price)

2 friends - we do swaps - one for yoga and one for Reiki

Everyone else - full price, no exceptions

Do you have any price lists? ? If not , get some done and give them out to the family ir even make up a leaflet with discounted rates on (but make sure put the original cost of the treatment on tho so they know what your doing for them!) And tell them to get the discount they have to come to you, cant be at a busy time/ day????

Do you have any price lists? ? If not , get some done and give them out to the family ir even make up a leaflet with discounted rates on (but make sure put the original cost of the treatment on tho so they know what your doing for them!) And tell them to get the discount they have to come to you, cant be at a busy time/ day????

Great idea :cool:

That's a very good idea. Defo going to do that x

Yes this is a very good idea I'll be doing myself!

I never charge my mum or sister. Mother and sister in law, auntie and best friend get 20% off, friends and rest of the family get 10%

Others in the salon think I'm super mean as my mum pays full price for everything with me! :/ she's the best mum, and I try and obvs be the best daughter but she doesn't bing in recommendations and clients as I don't live close to her anymore...in fact if I'm having a slow month ill get her in to keep me busy and for a catch up!

But I do have my best friend, who again lives closer to my mum than the salon... And works nearer London than to me....and she has insisted I do her nails for her up and coming holiday :/

I've got her to model for me back in the day, and once did a tan on her for her birthday. But at the weekend I had to refuse to do her smokey eyes for her on a night out, as it was my birthday night out, I wasn't ready, I had worked all day 9-6 and my boyfriend was making dinner for 5 and I just didn't have time....I'd normally do her eyes for a night out but as I said I didn't want to and she doesn't offer to buy me a drink each time I do them!

Her nails are going to be about £35, I'm going to get the other nail girl to do them. My friend is very careful with her money but I'm chickening out of the confrontation/awarkwardness where I think she wants me to do them for ' mates rates'

I've also just stopped student discount as students ( ESP uni students) have grants and loans and lots of disposable income. When I was 16-19 I used to have a wardrobe to die for, student discount makes no sense to me..

Latest posts

Back