Charging family and close friends?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPB

Reaction score
Do you find it hard? I do charge them because they are paying for a service and i can not afford to let it go for free because of time and products..

How much discount do you usually give? I am already cheap. I charge £20 Acrylics & Gels, £15 Shellac hands or toes.

My relative wanted Acrylics with flower decals and i recommend shellac toes as they last longer than normal polish and i gave a total of £30 for her, she seemed a little shock! Am i wrong for charging so much, also i am mobile so i am traveling to her at a time she choose..

I only give freebies to my mum and sister and the mother in law. Nobody else l. Everyone else will pay the price with maybe a 10% discount.

Im a business, not a charity and if they dont like it they can go somewhere else.

My neighbour wanted shellac hands and rockstar toes and actually thought I would do it for free just because she lives next door. She was rather shocked when I told her the price was £52.

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If they're expecting a discount it should only be a small one. And, in return, they should be a regular client.

My boyfriend's friend cuts my hair and he always tries to give me a huge discount when I go to pay. I tell him no; I don't want it! I am always so happy with my hair, why should I pay him any less for the service?

I would give a set discount to friends and family then they are all kept the same :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't charge my mum or my mother in law.
My sis in law insists on paying full price. I always try to give her some money back but she never takes it. But she has seen me order products (she is like my best friend really) and she knows how much things cost.

My 2 aunts & 4 cousins get their shellac done with me every 2 weeks without fail and I charge them half price. But that is purely because I used to practice nail art & polishing on them for hours while I was training and they never complained lol so I give them a discount. Plus they always bring me new business. Xx

I am trying to build clients. Last week I had a friend for weft extensions and her family member. The family member was happy for me to do it for free because it was her own hair. I stumbled when asked how much it was, I didn't have an answer ready. My own fault really!!! It's annoying when they think we are just playing not working!!! Friend didn't pay either.

I only do my mum and mother in law for free, my close friends and other members of family pay my training prices, so for Opi gelcolor I charge them £15 and free nail art, extensions I charge £15 but full price for nailart. And then £10 for mani and pedis. I find that most people don't want freebies, I gave my aunt a pedi once in a spur of the moment as she popped round to my mums and asked me, and I told her there was no charge but she insisted on paying me. But to be honest I don't think what you charged was too much anyways! If you worked it out from your prices, the art would be free and she got £5 off her shellac.

Yea. I don't charge my mam, she always has Shellac and i don't usually charge my younger sister, my close sisters only pay £10 for acrylic's well my twin does but she doesn't have much income and it pampers her, but family and friends get it cheaper, i think i am loads cheaper than a salon plus it is in the comfort of their own home and without them using their petrol. Because it is a 15 min drive also.

I only gave my Nan last week a free eyebrow tint, she owed me Avon and it was a tester really as she didn't have much hair on her eyebrows, so i said we will just see how tinting goes and maybe waxing next time at a fee.

I don't feel bad, because my tutor who trained me clearly said they are paying for a service and they wouldn't get it free from else where and it's my time etc.. I've always stuck with that luckily, i do feel guilty a little but its a service, they can't exactly do it themselves or they wouldn't be asking for me! Right! :) Phew, just felt ugh about it all.

I charge my sister but she does my hair free, I only charge her peanuts compared to real price if its just nails ill do them free if it waxing too ill charge a small fee x

i only give my mum free nails thats it. everyone else has to pay, if they are having a few treatments together i will take a fiver off and if they want gems/nail art/glitter i dont charge the extra but thats it!!they would go elsewhere an dpay full price dont forget!!!

Mum and sister free grandma and close Aunty get it for free but take me for lunch after! Friends get like £5 off or they'll pay for there shellac and ill do there eyebrows for free!

I won't charge my sister as she does my hair free. I wouldn't charge my mum if she had anything or my grandma. But in laws & my best friend I charge otherwise I'd have to still find product cost & rent. They have nail art which I do for free so they are getting a bit of something free.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't charge my mother and sister in-law. My sister in-law is my model and my mother in-law does a lot for me so I wouldn't dream of charging her. My mother, sister and gram live in the US but if they were here I wouldn't charge them. Everybody else gets charged.

My close family, ma, brother and dad I dont charge them. They all do a lot for me, my way of treating them :) sometimes my ma pays for tips/l&p for me and my best one gets half price as she let's me practice and brings in new clients

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I did some training and they said to me even if they offer you a bootle of wine in return ALWAYS swap or charge something! That way they shouldn't take advantage. I charge £15 for gels or £20 if they want extras (the going rate for my competitive area!) and my sister used to only pay £5! Bless her she always wanted the most time consuming designs too... After a year I decided to up it to £10 (I felt awful and dreaded telling her because I thought she'd really not like the fact I'd upped it but it was fine)just because I spend time away from my own children, husband, use my electric and equipment.... It only seems fair if you ask me :) I usually say to them, I usually charge £15/£20 so for you ill do it for £10 or whatever you want :) hope that helps x Tasha

Hmmm.....I'm a soft touch. I don't charge my mother-in-law, sisters-in-law, sisters or my best friend. But really, they give me a lot in return. And they're excellent little salespeople for me! :biggrin:

The only family I see are two of my cousins and my aunt, they pay what I charge and give me extra! they say that they would pay this elsewhere so would rather give their custom to me.

I don't do discounts at all, I think once you've set a precedent it is hard to break from.

I don't charge my mom but she insists on paying me anyway. I'm blessed with some good friends who pay me well and only a couple who don't. One close friend is an aesthetician and she lectured me for not charging enough and helped me work out a fair price based on my cost and what I make at the spa. I don't charge friends for art though. They are great advertisements.

Ah very interesting comments on everyone.. Thank you for the replies.:biggrin:

I don't give freebies to anyone, not even my closest family members. I am a lot more flexible when it comes to offering times that suit them (including on my days off) but there's never a free or heavily discounted service.

I'm running a business.

Beauty Therapist
Black Sheep Beauty
www.blacksheepbeauty.com.au

Latest posts

Back