Charging for missed appointments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heather78

Reaction score
This I'm sure is a question that opens a huge can of worms! The last few years I have been quite strict with my clients & my policy for cancellations is simple- 24hrs notice is required otherwise I charge for the full appointment. I just had a text from a client who said they can't make there 10am appointment this morning but they will pay double next time there in. Last week I had a similar thing with another client but she told the receptionist she has to take her mum to hospital for an appointment, so I think I won't charge on this occasion- the receptionist say's why not as she would have had notice for the hospital app and she called in on the day!! Its so hard, sometimes I have pangs of guilt & think I'm being a little harsh. At the same time my time is precious, time is money etc etc & I wouldn't dream of cancelling a hair/beauty app short notice!! What do you all do???

Sorry for long post!

Clients who call on the day of appointment to cancel their appointment twice are advised to book all future appointments on the day they need treatment.

Don't bother to turn up at all and we advise clients to seek the service of another salon.

Jacqui xx

I think that there will always be a certain few clients we can turn a blind eye to when the cancel last minute (the ones weve known the longest/spend alot/ect...)

But its so hard to charge for no shows and cancellations! Alot of the time, they just wont come back. But then again, do you really want them back if they dont see your time as 'important'?

Everyone advertises that there will be a late cancellation charge, however no one really sticks to it as were all scared stiff of upsetting and losing our clientele.

Im one of these 'scared' people lol.

If you know they are normally bad at cancelling/forgetting - text them the day before. Then there really are no excuses for this.

LolaSpa xxx

I think that there will always be a certain few clients we can turn a blind eye to when the cancel last minute (the ones weve known the longest/spend alot/ect...)

But its so hard to charge for no shows and cancellations! Alot of the time, they just wont come back. But then again, do you really want them back if they dont see your time as 'important'?

Everyone advertises that there will be a late cancellation charge, however no one really sticks to it as were all scared stiff of upsetting and losing our clientele.

Im one of these 'scared' people lol.

If you know they are normally bad at cancelling/forgetting - text them the day before. Then there really are no excuses for this.

LolaSpa xxx

This is why my leaflet states what I have written in my previous post - because fees are usually un-enforceable so what is the point of having it.

I wanted something I could enforce and have some control over.

Jacqui xx

My latest one for those repeat no shows is gona be my computer has a black list system, which it does lol, more to remind me, but in future those persistent offenders will be told they have to pay 50% deposit b4 I can hold them an appointment. These people make me so mad. Wish we could just say what we think sometimes! X

My latest one for those repeat no shows is gona be my computer has a black list system, which it does lol, more to remind me, but in future those persistent offenders will be told they have to pay 50% deposit b4 I can hold them an appointment. These people make me so mad. Wish we could just say what we think sometimes! X

I have a black list too, its in the back of my diary hand written details by me lol

I know at my salon, when we take bookings - we ask for there card details to secure the booking : no money will be deducted however if they cancel without giving 24 hours notice we will charge 50% of the bill to there card. Usually clients will understand and I feel makes them more aware that they should turn up.

Iv just put a cancelations policy in place this month. It's hard to determine which reasons are genuine and should be ignored. Iv charged everyone though and stuck to it as it's easier to treat everyone the same. I dont mind so much on small treatments but its clients with over 2hour appts and they cancel an hour before!!! Grghhhh!!!!

This is an essential part of our businesses being perceived as professional. I now try and text all clients the day before to 'remind' them of their appointment as I have had too many no-shows - even from people who have booked the day before and AFTER a long, tedious telephone consultation (e.g. for tattoo removal etc). Only yesterday, I sent such a text and got the reply 'Sorry. Can we reschedule? Have an urgent funeral to attend in ......'. It's the first time I've hears of anyone only knowing about a funeral 24 hours in advance! WHY, oh WHY don't people simply ring and cancel? Even if it's on the same day it allows me to get on with something else instead of just waiting!

Taking a deposit is the best option -but it has to be on a sliding scale to suit the treatment that is booked. One of the problems though, is there are very many salons and sole traders who still don't take card payments.

Let the discussion continue. All ideas about how to combat this problem are welcome!

Yes I don't have a card machine facility as I work just 3 days a week and in 2 different therapy centres on a rent the room by the hour basis. This is why time is so precious, I work 2 days at one centre & then 1 day at the other & most of these days get booked up so if I get someone not turn up or even cancel last minute its a pain in the bum! As the receptionists take bookings for me who knows who may have been turned away for an appointment!

I think I will stick to my policy & charge. I still pay my room rent if I haven't had notice. I do try & text my regulars who are good clients but have 'forgotten' in the past. As its really cringing having to charge them!!

Is it possible to get a card machine when not based in one place I wonder??

Glad I started this now :wink2:

Latest posts

Back