Charging more for the larger lady

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipsyD

Reaction score
hi all I had a new client for a spray tan who is around dress size 30. I ended up using 230ml of tan on her which is 1/3 of my bottle. I usually use around 100ml per person. She wants to be a regular client now but I can’t believe how much product I’m using for her. Would you charge more and if so how would you go about saying it. It’s not really worth my time/money on product but I feel awful bringing it up with her.

OMG I can't believe you use 100ml per person, are you serious? I have sprayed morbidly obese people and used 50ml. How long are you spraying, you sound like a beginner?230mls??????!!!!!!!!!

I have a few larger ladies and generally use 50ml. Are you doing more than one coat? X

Whatever you use it is not acceptable to charge more for a larger body. Very insulting and I'm sure it's not a good way of gaining repeat custom! [emoji33][emoji85]

Just as I don't charge more if I use more acrylic on a large nail. Good clients are worth their weight in gold and send recommendations your way so look after her.

The problem here I think is not that a larger lady uses more solution ( they do a bit but not that much ) . It would appear that you just need more practice. You should be aiming for 50ml per Tan . You probably need to adjust your gun too. Good luck. X

hi all I had a new client for a spray tan who is around dress size 30. I ended up using 230ml of tan on her which is 1/3 of my bottle. I usually use around 100ml per person. She wants to be a regular client now but I can’t believe how much product I’m using for her. Would you charge more and if so how would you go about saying it. It’s not really worth my time/money on product but I feel awful bringing it up with her.
Do you reduce your price if someone is petite?
I think rather than focusing on someone’s size you could perhaps look at your technique and also your pricing structure for everyone so that someone’s size doesn’t negatively effect your profit margins.

Thanks for the advise on 50ml usage it got me worried so I’ve spoken to fake bake today and they recommend 100ml per person which is roughly what I’m doing. They also said that a lady of her size would use a considerable amount more than a size ten person and if I use 50ml or even 100ml on her then the application wouldn’t be correct.

Regarding the actual issue, I agree it’s a sensitive subject but if youre a hairdresser you charge more for long hair colouring as you use more product- which is the same here. I don’t think you understand the issue, I’m a size 18 myself so not slim but this lady has to turn sideways to fit into the door way for the beauty room and therefor I cannot use the same amount as a skinny person and give the same great result.
Thanks for the reply’s anyway.

Thanks for the advise on 50ml usage it got me worried so I’ve spoken to fake bake today and they recommend 100ml per person which is roughly what I’m doing. They also said that a lady of her size would use a considerable amount more than a size ten person and if I use 50ml or even 100ml on her then the application wouldn’t be correct.

Regarding the actual issue, I agree it’s a sensitive subject but if youre a hairdresser you charge more for long hair colouring as you use more product- which is the same here. I don’t think you understand the issue, I’m a size 18 myself so not slim but this lady has to turn sideways to fit into the door way for the beauty room and therefor I cannot use the same amount as a skinny person and give the same great result.
Thanks for the reply’s anyway.

LOL you are actually comparing long hair to being overweight:D:D

You should be using no more than 50mls per person why would fake bake even say that when it's completely wrong.

Fake bake will want you to use more so you buy more!
Take the advice of these ladies that have been doing this for a while.
It will be swings and roundabouts same with waxing small and large bodies.
You don’t need to use 100ml honestly.

I think we do understand what you’re saying but just don’t agree.
Logically the amount of solution used is an average as you’ll use less for some and more for others and the time taken will vary too.
I agree with all the other comments....50ml is more than sufficient for most tans.
I gave several larger ladies and I use nowhere near 230ml and I prefer to spray twice.

It's a horrible idea and you will almost certainly lose her as a client. I also agree with others that you should be using about 50 ml per client. I remember when I was mobile I had a call from a lady wanting a tan. I was out and didn't have much tan left, but she sounded 'tiny', if that makes sense. However, when I got there, she was a much larger lady than I expected. I was worried I didn't have enough tan, but I did my best and she was delighted. She ended up being a regular client until she went back to the states.

Maybe look at some other tans? I don't know what Fake Bake is like now, but it didn't used to be that nice, years ago.

Latest posts

Back