Cheap alternative

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizaberryman

Reaction score
Hi girls I have popped over from the skin forum. I am thinking about doing a course, I want to do something like shellac, but I simply can't afford it, are there any cheaper alternatives out there that are really good too? I would also need to do a mani-pedi course too as iv never done nails. I have quite exspensive hobbys it seems!! X

My best advice would be to look at the various gel polish/hybrid polish systems. Shellac and Gelish seem to be the favourite 2 and the ones more commonly recognised by the public and your client base.

It isn't cheap to set up and train but it does earn it's own money in no time.

Cheaper training and products will more than likely see you spending more to retrain with a better brand and such so you are essentially laying out the cash twice over.

Good luck hun xxx

It isn't cheap to set up and train but it does earn it's own money in no time.

Cheaper training and products will more than likely see you spending more to retrain with a better brand and such so you are essentially laying out the cash twice over.

Good advice. You are looking at a long-term plan and a business not a hobby. Choose wisely ... And going the cheap route is neither cheap nor wise in the long run.

I'm liking gelish at the moment, just need to see if I can afford it first as I need to do a mani-pedi course x thanks girls x

Buy cheap, Buy twice as the saying goes.

Quite a few people have good results with Eco gel.

Do you know anywhere that does cheap maniure courses? They seem so expensive! X

I don't think it's that expensive?

In fact, I think it's quite a bargain when you think about what you're getting - very high quality, industry-leading products backed up by a good, solid company history and amazing training. And, obviously the on-going support, etc. Plus even just the name shellac is a boon - many people request the service on the strength of that alone.

There are some things that you may buy in at a cheaper price - cotton wool pads are pretty much cotton wool pads at most price points (though I don't recommend the cheapest of the cheap!), bananas are pretty much bananas at any price point, etc, etc - but there are other things where it makes more sense to spend a little more in the beginning and do things properly. This is usually the case where you're spending a few pounds; it makes more sense to get the service right from the beginning rather than having to then buy another system and therefore wasting money.

You need to weigh up which service is going to be best for you and, ultimately, your clients. The best way to go about this is to research, research, research and try as many different products as possible. Then, and only then, will you be informed enough to make the decision. Remember though that this is your business (fair enough it's your hobby right now, but why start out and change halfway through?) and your name that is at stake so you best be sure you're working with products and companies that fit with your image and work best for you.

Finally, and to address your last post, I believe that training is the one area that should be thoroughly researched and not scrimped on.

Do you know anywhere that does cheap maniure courses? They seem so expensive! X

They're expensive for a reason Liza. I know you may think Oh it's just a manicure/pedicure. But there is so much you need to know. Contraindications, skin disorders you'll need to be able to spot. How would you deal with a mani client who came in with really bad onycholysis on one of her fingers? What if it was all or most of them, would you know to direct the client to her doctor as it might be a sign of thyroid disfunction, or a certain type of medication.
A good course will help your knowledge of these types of things, which could save your skin and your insurance claims one day. A cheap course may just be a glorified hand massage and nail painting class. I know which i'd rather do.
Please wait untill you can do this properly, or take things slowly, one step at a time. Mastering one thing at a time well, is better than doing many things badly. I hope i haven't come across too harsh, but if you want to succeed you need to do these things properly.:wink2:

Thank you for your advice girls, think I will take this slow and do it one step at a time, that way I can spread the costs and get the best quality :0) x

Latest posts

Back